Superbowl Causing High Priced Flights in Fort Lauerdale!!!

Charles48

2 hours ago, pris993 said:

That would be an option.... really,  at the very least altering possible traveler to book air early would be another... other wise they might find they have many cancellations and have to reduce fares a lot to pick locals only....

Why only go for the locals?  There's money to be made off self-proclaimed snowbirds.  Any line can package that Feb 2 cruise derply discounted ... with 2 or more cruises before and 2 or more after ... those at regular or minimally discounted fares.  One would only ger the cheapie by buying the whole pkg

39 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

Why only go for the locals?  There's money to be made off self-proclaimed snowbirds.  Any line can package that Feb 2 cruise derply discounted ... with 2 or more cruises before and 2 or more after ... those at regular or minimally discounted fares.  One would only ger the cheapie by buying the whole pkg

you are right, since I live in California was not thinking about the snowbirds, we don't have that out here, just like locals though... why not. 

We are cruising Feb 1st, cruising out of FLL.   We will be flying into West Palm from Detroit on the Friday.  Found flights on Spirit for $66  pp.  Flying home on the Monday following the cruise from FLL  $79 pp.  With seats and luggage it came to $401 total.  Happy with the price.  Wont come even close to that with any other airline.  

• Like 1

Charles48, we booked a cruise out of FLL for 2/2/20 on Caribbean Princess without “doing our homework”. Whoopsie. 😂 We had just about decided to drive down from SC when we checked flights, but I had the presence of mind to check flights to FLL the day of, and lo and behold, back to regular fares. So we just leave early, avoid the extra expense of jacked up hotel rates, and walk right on the ship. No harm, no foul. Don’t know if it’s an option for you, just throwing it out there.

18 minutes ago, pris993 said:

you are right, since I live in California was not thinking about the snowbirds, we don't have that out here, just like locals though... why not. 

We're from the snowbelt and now prefer sailing off the West Coast in the winter months.  Got tired of sailing from south Florida and experiencing the Snowbird Syndrome ... pax going on and on ad nauseum bragging about repeating 4 or 5 or 6 identical itineraries b2b2b etc ... because  "we're snowbirds".  Heck, my spouse says he loves the snow ... he says he can watch me shovel all day long!

We actually changed the dates of our cruise because of the Superbowl. We thought we had the best option going until I looked at flight prices and hotels.  Flights were stupidly expensive, and the hotels were more than double what we usually pay; it was then I googled events happening in the area at that time and came up with the Superbowl.  A lightbulb moment.  Good luck to you.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Edited by ger_77

Every year , two things cause me a chuckle here on Cruise Critic...

1. Panicky Hurricane Season discussions. Yes, it happens, yes, you may be affected, and OMG, your cruise out of Florida may be scheduled during an event, causing inconvenience.  How does this still catch people by surprise ?

2. High hotel / airfare prices in FLL in winter. So. Fla. is a winter tourist destination, so more customers mean higher prices. It is also a popular venue for trade shows, conventions, and sporting events.

So, for those who are research challenged, let me be the first to let you know that in Feb, 2021, the Super Bowl will be in Tampa FL. It will certainly affect cruises from that port, and airfare into even Orlando (an hour's drive east, services Port Canaveral cruises) may certainly be higher than normal.  Now you know. 

We sailed last 3 years super bowl week with a large group and we love it, Go Pats! We have only sailed out of Miami and when we saw that's where the super bowl was we looked at other ports. This year We are leaving out of Port Canaveral the 1st. Just booked our flight down for Friday Jan 31st from Mass to Orlando nonstop 74$ frontier airlines (123 pp with bags and special seating). Still watching for flights home.

If I were you considering hotel & flight costs I'd either

1. Switch to a cruise out of port Canaveral.

2. Fly into Orlando the night before, stay there and either rent cars or look into a private transportation the morning of the cruise

like others have said... get a pencil and paper and run thru each and every scenario of keeping the Miami cruise or switching cruises and see what exactly the cost will be for each. It's still a little difficult because airlines are all over with booking right now. Southwest will open flights july 10th. Jetblu has flights open now but they are set high and I don't think they will lower until day before or of when southwest opens. Frontier is open and prices are great. But also depends where you are flying from. Also remember your flight home shouldn't be a problem out of FLL and you can always use 2 different airlines for flight down and flight home.

It's a tough situation but know this... if you stay anywhere near fort Lauderdale, Miami hotels will be insane. And flights to miaii and FLL will be about double normal price.

If it were me... i'd fly to Orlando, stay there and drive in morning of cruise.  🙂

7 hours ago, kayjay76 said:

We sailed last 3 years super bowl week with a large group and we love it, Go Pats! We have only sailed out of Miami and when we saw that's where the super bowl was we looked at other ports. This year We are leaving out of Port Canaveral the 1st. Just booked our flight down for Friday Jan 31st from Mass to Orlando nonstop 74$ frontier airlines (123 pp with bags and special seating). Still watching for flights home.

If I were you considering hotel & flight costs I'd either

1. Switch to a cruise out of port Canaveral.

2. Fly into Orlando the night before, stay there and either rent cars or look into a private transportation the morning of the cruise

like others have said... get a pencil and paper and run thru each and every scenario of keeping the Miami cruise or switching cruises and see what exactly the cost will be for each. It's still a little difficult because airlines are all over with booking right now. Southwest will open flights july 10th. Jetblu has flights open now but they are set high and I don't think they will lower until day before or of when southwest opens. Frontier is open and prices are great. But also depends where you are flying from. Also remember your flight home shouldn't be a problem out of FLL and you can always use 2 different airlines for flight down and flight home.

It's a tough situation but know this... if you stay anywhere near fort Lauderdale, Miami hotels will be insane. And flights to miaii and FLL will be about double normal price.

If it were me... i'd fly to Orlando, stay there and drive in morning of cruise.  🙂

We also love sailing SuperBowl week.. and I was in Miami leaving on a Cruise when the last SuperBowl was there.. and we are going next year.. sailing out of FLL but staying in Miami pre-cruise.., we are also from Mass.... GO PATS!

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:02 PM, pms4104 said:

We're from the snowbelt and now prefer sailing off the West Coast in the winter months.  Got tired of sailing from south Florida and experiencing the Snowbird Syndrome ... pax going on and on ad nauseum bragging about repeating 4 or 5 or 6 identical itineraries b2b2b etc ... because  "we're snowbirds".  Heck, my spouse says he loves the snow ... he says he can watch me shovel all day long!

I can't imagine letting what a few strangers talk about dictate my personal travel plans.......:classic_rolleyes:

On 6/27/2019 at 11:26 AM, bouhunter said:

I can't imagine letting what a few strangers talk about dictate my personal travel plans.......:classic_rolleyes:

Not that those more than a few snowbirds dictated our plans ... but it did open our winter eyes to other itineraries that we now actually prefer.

We’re sailing same day and I patiently waited for JetBlue to open their flights for either Jan 31 or Feb 1. I called them every week until someone was able to let me know the exact date flights would open. On June 9, I could only book one way as they only opened flights until Feb 12 and got it with one bag for $141.

When I first heard about the Super Bowl being same weekend I booked hotel rooms for around 144-170 per night at few different locations because I wasn’t sure what airport or day would be cheaper to fly in to, FLL or PBI, Friday or Saturday. Rented a car with Alamo and Enterprise to pick up in FLL, drive to hotel and then return car to MIA where each of them have a shuttle to the port. The only reason I booked more than just one was because I was worried that maybe my reservation might get ‘lost’.

Still checking JetBlue for my return flight home😫

• 4 weeks later...

AHHHH! Due to Royal changing our ports, we are now on an Oceania cruise leaving a day earlier. Since we already booked flights (thankfully, we got really pricing) we are staying until Feb. 2, SUper Bowl Sunday, meaning we need a hotel in FLL Feb 1. Might end up on cousin-in-law's floor in Miami. SIGH

I am going on Adventure of the Seas  to the ABC islands Feb 1 and did NO research before booking, being totally oblivious to the Super Bowl.  I got hosed LOL, won't do THAT again.😳😬

Had to book Airbnb in Lauderdale by the Sea, at least it was reasonable🙂

Typically all major car rental companies (Enterprise is one exception) will allow you to pick up and drop off without additional charge anywhere in Florida.  I have picked up a car in Key West and returned it in Tampa, picked up a car in Live Oak and returned it in Orlando, etc. without a drop off fee.