Flights Santiago - Punta Arenas

Paul S

We are booked on Ronald Amundsen Antarctic expedition departing from Punta Arenas February 2020, and have questions on the included flights.

Does Hurtigruten  use schedules flights or does it charter its own plane? If the former which airline does it use?

Is it a group ticket or does everybody get their own ticket?

Can I purchase an extra hold case? This is offered on the LATAM website.

I need to take a CPAP machine in a laptop case sized carry on. Will I be able to take his in addition to my main carry on?

I am debating booking my own flights between Santiago and Punta Arenas but staying the night before in Santiago in the Hurtigruten included hotel. Would that be a problem?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

I can't really answer your questions because our trip included Patagonia, originated in Buenos Aires and was through a tour operator.  But it was definitely not a charter flight; that I DO remember 🙂  Also IIRC we would have been charged for a second checked bag but the tour operator paid for that.  Sorry I can't be of more help. But you will have an amazing time, I promise.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/16/2019 at 5:49 PM, Paul S said:

We are booked on Ronald Amundsen Antarctic expedition departing from Punta Arenas February 2020, and have questions on the included flights.

Does Hurtigruten  use schedules flights or does it charter its own plane? If the former which airline does it use?

Is it a group ticket or does everybody get their own ticket?

Can I purchase an extra hold case? This is offered on the LATAM website.

I need to take a CPAP machine in a laptop case sized carry on. Will I be able to take his in addition to my main carry on?

I am debating booking my own flights between Santiago and Punta Arenas but staying the night before in Santiago in the Hurtigruten included hotel. Would that be a problem?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Hello Paul. I'm travelling to Antarctica with Hurtigruten in March 2021 - my flight which is included in the fare from Santiago de Chile to Punta Arenas is with LATAM and is described on the booking confirmation as 'economy'. Hope that helps. Is there some information on your confirmation of booking document?

Thanks for the response. My booking also says Latam economy, but there will be around 500 pax on Roald Amundsen, so wondered whether it might be a charter flight rather than a scheduled one. Also, if it’s a group ticket I may not be able to pay Latam for an extra case.

https://www.latam.com/en_au/travel-information/baggage/excess-baggage/

This link addresses extra luggage on LATAM. Sounds like you'd turn up on the day and pay if there is room on the aircraft for your case and that could be the fly in the ointment for you. If they couldn't take your case that day it might not arrive prior to sailing.

Have you considered, or would it be possible, to send a case with a luggage delivery company? I've used one (not to South America though). I think it was 'luggage free' but I could check if it's of interest to you.

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

Thanks for the info. Can’t risk turning up at the airport and finding there is no spare space in the hold.

The company I used internationally was luggage forward (link below). I've checked; they do do London to Punta Arenas. Have a great trip and hope to hear about it afterwards.

https://www.luggageforward.com/

• 2 weeks later...