Removal of foot stools from CC and AQ on Equinox

4cats4me

1 hour ago, Anita Latte said:

Having a conversation about similar topic with my Mom earlier...

The thing about the AQ cabins is that they are not the most desirable location on the ship. You could argue that being directly under the pool deck is, in fact, a very UNDESIRABLE location. Creating a whole new cabin category to overcome what must previously be unappealing...most prefer to have cabins above and below...in order to not only make the cabins appealing...but also to charge you MORE for the now PRIVILEGE of staying in an otherwise poorly located cabin. Now perhaps...the potential pool noise CON is overcome by all the PROs offered by a redesigned cruising experience that at one point offered things like free yoga programming with Rodney Yee, complementary water, a superior shower, aromatherapy, etc.

The whole idea was to create a more fitness minded cruising experience...you have excellent interior only access to the spa area, which is complementary...you could be more comfortable wearing a robe from your cabin to the spa because you didn't have to "go outside" to get there. And easy access to the spa cafe where options are more suited to the health conscious. Or were...with many options for a less indulgent lunch, yep still timely, than what my family affectionately calls the buffet, "pig out palace" in an ode to the by gone days of the cheap all you can Vegas buffet.

Blu was touted not just because it was a smaller dining venue...but BECAUSE it offered food that was supposed to appeal to the more health conscious...lighter sauces, less sodium, smaller portions, more vegetables...and people who had no interest in the banquet food of the MDR.

Slowly by little bit...the AQ experience has been downgraded...with all the little things that had added up to a very nice package for someone desiring to maintain a certain health focused lifestyle even while on vacation. It's sad. Because more and more, the quality of the package cannot overcome the failings of the location(s) of the AQ cabins.

They spent some time to get a reputation going but they aren't maintaining it. Booking AQ is simply reduced to the ability to dine in a "specialty restaurant" each night...with little else to recommend it. Book a cheaper cabin...pay for the week long thermal suite pass...get the unlimited specialty dining...possibly pay to check a bag with fun spa product...and save money and not miss anything because it feels like there is nothing else to AQ.

All true, except that on the "S" class ships at least 40% of the Aqua cabins are under other staterooms, behind the Aft elevators.  When we've booked AQ that's where we've stayed.  But you're right there is no real incentive to it anymore outside of Blu...

• Like 1

Yes, all our complaints on here are First World problems, but the impact of "one little change" is quite subjective. 

If a passenger's favorite activity on the ship is settling back with their feet up on their balcony and that "one little change" greatly diminishes their ability to do so, then it IS a big deal to them and could easily be enough to send them elsewhere.  This could be particularly true for those with back problems, circulatory  problems (raises hand here) or leg/foot problems.  I do hear some complaints throughout these forums that have me shaking my head, but I realize it's still a matter of perspective and what's not important to one person may be VERY important to another.

How many of you would drop the beverage package if it no longer covered specialty coffees or no longer covered wine?   Many of you would be miffed if others shot back, "Well, it's not a big deal because I don't drink wine/coffee anyhow."   How many of you would change to a different cruise line if the "one little change" was the elimination of alcohol onboard?  There are many who don't drink who could reply, "It's just one little change... do you really go on a cruise just to drink?"

Often, it's not just that "one little change" that's the problem, but rather it's the straw that broke the camel's back.  Little change 1 + little change 2 + little change 3 + little change 4 + little change 5 + price increases, and eventually you may decide it's not worth it anymore.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

RE AQ class cabin locations

We found some nice quiet space up toward the front...not too far forward.

We are trying non AQ on our next 3 cruises...just need a change of pace.

Edited by hcat

We were just on the Crystal Symphony for 30 days in a B1 cabin which only had 2 chairs and a very small table on our balcony. I had no problem using it as a foot stool/leg rest while I sat out on the balcony. Is the table on the CC and AQ balconies low enough to use in the same way as alternative to the foot stool that used to be there?

4 hours ago, SunsetPoint said:

Yes, all our complaints on here are First World problems, but the impact of "one little change" is quite subjective. 

If a passenger's favorite activity on the ship is settling back with their feet up on their balcony and that "one little change" greatly diminishes their ability to do so, then it IS a big deal to them and could easily be enough to send them elsewhere.  This could be particularly true for those with back problems, circulatory  problems (raises hand here) or leg/foot problems.  I do hear some complaints throughout these forums that have me shaking my head, but I realize it's still a matter of perspective and what's not important to one person may be VERY important to another.

How many of you would drop the beverage package if it no longer covered specialty coffees or no longer covered wine?   Many of you would be miffed if others shot back, "Well, it's not a big deal because I don't drink wine/coffee anyhow."   How many of you would change to a different cruise line if the "one little change" was the elimination of alcohol onboard?  There are many who don't drink who could reply, "It's just one little change... do you really go on a cruise just to drink?"

Often, it's not just that "one little change" that's the problem, but rather it's the straw that broke the camel's back.  Little change 1 + little change 2 + little change 3 + little change 4 + little change 5 + price increases, and eventually you may decide it's not worth it anymore.  

I am the OP.  You articulated my position better than I did. Thank you.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Am amazed that so many people loved that foot stool. It was nice. It was not essential. If your balcony isn’t what you like, book an oceanview. It costs less. 

Why should it be a source of amazement that people like to lounge comfortably on a cruise? LOL

If I had wanted a rustic experience I would have gone camping.  

Edited by 4cats4me
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 4cats4me said:

Why should it be a source of amazement that people like to lounge comfortably on a cruise? LOL

If I had wanted a rustic experience I would have gone camping.  

If a balcony with lounge chairs and footstools is so important to you,  find a cruise line that has what you want.  Each cutback is small. Add them up and it's not the cruise that you want.  That's when you say enough already. Everyone has a breaking point.  When I cruise, I expect certain things. When the cruise line or hotel fails to deliver, I don't book them again.  Celebrity has beautiful ships. It is a shame that the cutbacks have ruined your experience. 

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

If a balcony with lounge chairs and footstools is so important to you,  find a cruise line that has what you want.  Each cutback is small. Add them up and it's not the cruise that you want.  That's when you say enough already. Everyone has a breaking point.  When I cruise, I expect certain things. When the cruise line or hotel fails to deliver, I don't book them again.  Celebrity has beautiful ships. It is a shame that the cutbacks have ruined your experience. 

Aqua on the Solstice Class has always had foot stools, and yes, it was important , so in your words, I actually did find a cruise that had what I wanted based on past experiences and did book what I wanted. We booked last November and had  been on the Equinox 4  times since 2013. Little did we realize the comfy balcony furniture would be removed during the revolution.  Had we known this then we would have booked a basic guarantee obstructed balcony and saved a whole lot of money.  We book AQ mainly for Blu, but the foot stools enhanced the AQ experience, as did s lot of other little things, which sadly have disappeared, too. I am not anti-Celebrity.  I just feel that since AQ has been diluted so much, it is not worth it anymore.  What I don’t like is paying a whole lot more money for AQ but not getting anything extra except for Blu.  

As others have mentioned, it would be better to just book a nice cheapie cabin and add on specialty restaurants if desired.  In the Caribbean we always book balconies because we like to relax there and not have to battle to get a deck chair up top. That is our “thing.”  I would definitely sail on Celebrity again, but I would go cheap and add on what is important.  I now know that I will have to bring a blow-up beach ball or my own foot stool.  I won’t waste money on AQ anymore.  

We rebooked on another line for the same date, won’t have to fly now, and are paying half, AND getting foot stools.  Wow hoooooo! LOL

We are happy with our decision.

Edited by 4cats4me
  • Like 4

I agree with you about aqua class. When it first was created, it was a nice choice. When that daily bottle of water disappeared, it started down the slippery slope like the rest of Celebrity. My initial response was how could you call it Aqua (water) class and discontinue the water. Yes, Blu was nice.  Eating in Blu was nicer than MDR.  The cost?  Ok, if not much more than standard cabin. Certainly not worth substantial extra money. When all the fares jumped up, I weighed my options. Higher prices and more cutbacks is not a good combination.  Either go cheap or just go on another line.  

• Like 2

Rumor is that X will have footstools available in the Spa for rent.  You can get a hourly rate, daily or cruise rate.  This will give everyone the option to have one on their balcony, those in CC and AQ will receive a discounted rate. They can also be carried around and used almost anywhere on the ship.   

There will also be a different type sold in the gift shop that can be taken home as a reminder of X’s “ Modern Luxury”.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

What I don’t like is paying a whole lot more money for AQ but not getting anything extra except for Blu.  

Did they take away access to Persian Garden?  If so, I'm canceling my next Aqua cabin.  I like going in there on sea days and rainy days.

1 hour ago, miched said:

Rumor is that X will have footstools available in the Spa for rent.  You can get a hourly rate, daily or cruise rate.  This will give everyone the option to have one on their balcony, those in CC and AQ will receive a discounted rate. They can also be carried around and used almost anywhere on the ship.   

There will also be a different type sold in the gift shop that can be taken home as a reminder of X’s “ Modern Luxury”.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Stop giving LLP ideas please! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

Did they take away access to Persian Garden?  If so, I'm canceling my next Aqua cabin.  I like going in there on sea days and rainy days.

That still exists but I never use it due to my stage of life.  😂 

Funny story, back in 2012 when we first booked AQ, that’s was the main draw for me, the spa, never even realized we would love Blu so much, and of course now Blu is the main draw, but we basically even forgot the spa existed on the last cruise. 

2 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

That still exists but I never use it due to my stage of life.  😂 

Funny story, back in 2012 when we first booked AQ, that’s was the main draw for me, the spa, never even realized we would love Blu so much, and of course now Blu is the main draw, but we basically even forgot the spa existed on the last cruise. 

Not as nice on M class, but I'll use it three times on a 7-day cruise.  

I do get the whole point about the price of Aqua going up, making Blu not such a great bargain.  I'm not crazy about the MDRs.  As far as MDRs go, Celebrity's is decent and so is the food, but Blue is better when on vacation and we'll still do a couple of nights at specialty restaurants (really like Sushi on 5).  If I get a TA to throw in a couple perks, the combination of Blu and classic beverage package + OBC gets me what I need and makes Celebrity a good value for us.  

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 11:40 PM, jasm8449 said:

Haven't read through all the pages, so forgive me if this has already been suggested.  A form of silent protest might be made by everyone boarding with their inflatable footstool already inflated.  That might get Celebrity's attention.  🙂

You made me laugh out loud, almost losing my coffee on the computer screen!  Can't you just see businesses in the cruise ports selling footstools!

• Haha 1

We book CC when the cost between balcony and CC isn't too great ... We too love spending time on our balcony on sea days ..and the foot stools would be missed if they were no longer available.   Every year it seems one other "little thing" disappears ..I do understand they remove "small" things to keep pricing attractive, but we are now at a point where we see Celebrity pricing climbing and nothing coming back to guests in return.  What I do see happenning is more and more dedication to suite class passengers.  Have no issue with those that wish to enjoy their suite experience, after all they paid a premium for the experience,  but if it starts to impact my experience via loss of more and more of the small details we've enjoyed in the cabin catagory of our choice we will take our business elsewhere.  

• Like 6