Surf and Turf not on the menu on 2nd Gala Night

rotjeknor

Second Gala Night is alway Surf and Turf in the MDR. Last april on the Zaandam  we had dinner in the PG on 2nd Gala Night so I can't say for sure if it was on the menu or not, but last week on the Rotterdam it was gone....  The 20 dollar lobster option was offered instead . I took that one and in all honesty I must say it tasted better than the tiny tail offered with the filet mignon. On the other hand, it was probably the smallest lobster they could find, not really worth the 20 dollars .

Just wondering if Surf and Turf is gone across the fleet.

Because those "lobster" tails are a from a species of spiny lobsters (crayfish) from off the coast of New Zealand, I can see where sometimes the supplies may run short on the ship.  This would be especially true if there are a large number of passengers who don't know the difference in taste between a cold water lobster and a crayfish and gorge themselves on what they think is unlimited lobster.

Before the question is asked how do I know where the "lobster" is sourced , our Rotterdam head waiter actually was taking note of the passengers who did not select the "lobster" and asking  why. In the course of the discussion our table when it became apparent  that we actually knew our seafood, he told us the species and source of the crayfish tails being served.

45 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

our Rotterdam head waiter actually was taking note of the passengers who did not select the "lobster" and asking  why.

Interesting.  I always see something else that looks better to me so in my case even GOOD lobster wouldn't be my first choice.  I enjoyed my lobster roll in Bar Harbor, but it just isn't my favorite seafood. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

Second Gala Night is alway Surf and Turf in the MDR. Last april on the Zaandam  we had dinner in the PG on 2nd Gala Night so I can't say for sure if it was on the menu or not, but last week on the Rotterdam it was gone....  The 20 dollar lobster option was offered instead . I took that one and in all honesty I must say it tasted better than the tiny tail offered with the filet mignon. On the other hand, it was probably the smallest lobster they could find, not really worth the 20 dollars .

Just wondering if Surf and Turf is gone across the fleet.

How many Gala Nights do you have?

the surf and turf is on the LAST Gala night, NOT necessarily on the second one if you have more than 2 galas.

• Like 1

Again judging the quality of the cruise experience based on whether you are served a tiny frozen tasteless 3oz lobster tail is almost laughable. I have learned that the surf and turf on any cruise  ship is so over rated. From some menus posted yesterday by Crew News for his Alaska cruise last week on the Westerdam I saw Surf and Turf on the 2nd or last Gala night in the MDR. However if that is the same menu on our Alaska cruise next month on the Noordam, I will opt for the Rack of Veal offered on Gala night. On our last HAL cruise on the NA the rack of veal on Gala night was the best entrée we had all week in the MDR, it was huge and delicious. My wife had the surf and turf that same night and the fillet was tough as shoe leather and the lobster tail was exactly how I described it above, she sent the entre back 2 times and it got no better so she gave up.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Because those "lobster" tails are a from a species of spiny lobsters (crayfish) from off the coast of New Zealand, I can see where sometimes the supplies may run short on the ship.  This would be especially true if there are a large number of passengers who don't know the difference in taste between a cold water lobster and a crayfish and gorge themselves on what they think is unlimited lobster.

Before the question is asked how do I know where the "lobster" is sourced , our Rotterdam head waiter actually was taking note of the passengers who did not select the "lobster" and asking  why. In the course of the discussion our table when it became apparent  that we actually knew our seafood, he told us the species and source of the crayfish tails being served.

A lot too come from the Carribe, Belize area  ( Red Lobster's primary source) and  Melanesia      The spiny crayfish is not limited to New Zealand.  Its  Gulf and Pacific wide...   Might have come from NZ  or anywhere in those regions  depending on price and supply at the time.    Nothing, beats Main lobster eaten on a Lobster pound in Maine   ( a 2-IMG_5319.jpg.8defdb8da281a54be0d6364ca9122eaf.jpg  1.5 lb lobsters corn, and all cost a $25  there)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Despegue said:

How many Gala Nights do you have?

the surf and turf is on the LAST Gala night, NOT necessarily on the second one if you have more than 2 galas.

I should have mentioned a 7 day cruise, so the second night.

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Again judging the quality of the cruise experience based on whether you are served a tiny frozen tasteless 3oz lobster tail is almost laughable. 

I never mentioned that I rated the cruise on wether or not Surf and Turf was served or not. I just want to know if it is fleet wide or not.

In my expeience, if you have more than  two gala nights, surf and turf is usually offered on last gala ngight. 

many nights   was your cruise --- t herefore, how many  gala nights?

Back in March, when the $10 charge for a 2nd main course was being tested on 4 ships, we were on one of those 4,  the Eurodam, for 28 days to Hawaii and French Polynesia.   All of our MDR dinner menus had the note about the $10 charge in fine print at the bottom, buried with the cautions about eating uncooked seafood. 

During the cruise, they had a few "Ask the Officer" sessions, and when the Food and Beverage manager's turn came up, I attended that session and asked the question about the $10 fee for a 2nd main course.  He politely asked me and another person to see him after the meeting.   When we were in private, he told me that his understanding of the test program was not for items that were in good supply like steaks and chops.  He said it was primarily for Gala nights when they offer lobster tails.   Those are strictly quantity controlled for each cruise, and they do not have an endless supply.   So to put a damper on the people who order 3 or 4 tails, they tried a test of charging $10 to see if it helped.   I never heard the final results of the test, other than they stopped it in early April on the 4 ships it was tested on.  Possibly this is another test to judge guest reactions if no surf-n-turf is offered, or they substitute another "surf" item, like salmon or jumbo shrimp (which is an oxymoron) .

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

A lot too come from the Carribe, Belize area  ( Red Lobster's primary source) and  Melanesia      The spiny crayfish is not limited to New Zealand.  Its  Gulf and Pacific wide...   Might have come from NZ  or anywhere in those regions  depending on price and supply at the time.    Nothing, beats Main lobster eaten on a Lobster pound in Maine   ( a 2-IMG_5319.jpg.8defdb8da281a54be0d6364ca9122eaf.jpg  1.5 lb lobsters corn, and all cost a $25  there)

Unless it is from Nova Scotia!  Yum!  Butter isn't even needed.  To be clear, however, I will be happy with either.

14 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

Back in March, when the $10 charge for a 2nd main course was being tested on 4 ships, we were on one of those 4,  the Eurodam, for 28 days to Hawaii and French Polynesia.   All of our MDR dinner menus had the note about the $10 charge in fine print at the bottom, buried with the cautions about eating uncooked seafood. 

During the cruise, they had a few "Ask the Officer" sessions, and when the Food and Beverage manager's turn came up, I attended that session and asked the question about the $10 fee for a 2nd main course.  He politely asked me and another person to see him after the meeting.   When we were in private, he told me that his understanding of the test program was not for items that were in good supply like steaks and chops.  He said it was primarily for Gala nights when they offer lobster tails.   Those are strictly quantity controlled for each cruise, and they do not have an endless supply.   So to put a damper on the people who order 3 or 4 tails, they tried a test of charging $10 to see if it helped.   I never heard the final results of the test, other than they stopped it in early April on the 4 ships it was tested on.  Possibly this is another test to judge guest reactions if no surf-n-turf is offered, or they substitute another "surf" item, like salmon or jumbo shrimp (which is an oxymoron) .

I have to believe that there are intelligent decision-makers at the helm.  If the target was truly the lobster then why not advertise that additional lobster requests will have a $10 surcharge?  They had that choice and opted out.  Ergo, the target was all additional mains.  The F&B Manager was either mistaken or attempting to mollify.

19 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

A lot too come from the Carribe, Belize area  ( Red Lobster's primary source) and  Melanesia      The spiny crayfish is not limited to New Zealand.  Its  Gulf and Pacific wide...   Might have come from NZ  or anywhere in those regions  depending on price and supply at the time.    Nothing, beats Main lobster eaten on a Lobster pound in Maine   ( a 2-  1.5 lb lobsters corn, and all cost a $25  there)

Yes,  but the point of my statement was that HAL's source is New Zealand.

In any case, eating them and calling them lobster is like eating a frozen pizza and thinking one is eating pizza.

21 hours ago, Homosassa said:

You're right - some of us enjoy the lobster served on the ship for a couple of reasons; first of all, because we don't know any better. Secondly, because it's hard to grow them on the "frozen tundra"; not everyone is fortunate enough to live close to the source.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

Unless it is from Nova Scotia!  Yum!  Butter isn't even needed.  To be clear, however, I will be happy with either.

Please note  thats 2 1.5 lb lobsters and all the trimmings for $25 at the Porthole  Portland MEIMG_5321.jpg.0e633c0202abd74c93e4f20cbe47b588.jpg

• Like 1

A question....If eating Lobster is  such an important and integral  part of  you cruise experience  why would you not choose one of the other lines that serve Lobster everyday in every venue...  even at the pool grill. ?  Since HAL only serves it 1 or 2 times during a cruise... why would you not change to a cruise line that does offer unlimited  both Maine and Spiny lobster in abundance daily and at no charge.?

Failure to serve lobster on the Gold (usually second night) could be that the lobster was not available when the ship provisions were loaded in port.  FWIW there are three Gala Night menus:  blue (served the first Gala Night if three Gala Nights), silver (served first Gala Night if two Gala Nights), and Gold (normally the last Gala Night).

On one of my cruises, bathroom tissue was not loaded in Seattle and was finally loaded while in port in Juneau. 

• Like 1