Dining booking window for suite guests

Pens fan

We are 130 days away from our cruise and are booked in an SF Aft Penthouse Suite.    Being in a suite, I thought we could make dining reservations today.   When I tried to do so however,  it said that it was too early to book.  A note said I could book on 6/26, which would be 120 days prior to the cruise.  At first I chalked it up to the website issues I've been reading about, but then decided to go check the FAQ section of NCL's website.  It appears that NCL has changed the policy of allowing Haven and Suite guests a 10 day head start when booking dining and entertainment - at least on cruises of over 6 days.   Is this something relatively new, or did I just miss it being discussed? 

Here is what the FAQ said:

When can I book dining and entertainment?

Reserving dining and entertainment before your cruise can help you plan ahead and make sure that you do not miss out on our most popular shows and restaurants. You can pre-book these onboard activities myncl.comfollowing the schedule below

Suites and Haven

120 days prior to sailing

All other staterooms

• For sailings that are 6 days or less and are not a holiday sailing, 90 days prior to sailing
• For sailings that are 6 days or less and are a holiday sailing, 120 days prior to sailing 
• For sailings that are 7 days or more, 120 days prior to sailing

There is an issue with NCL’s website. It’s been that way for about three weeks. At 130 days out we could only book the first night. After discussing this with the Concierge desk there is not timeframe for this being corrected. NCL recently did an upgrade to their system and it’s a mess. I was told to check back daily to see if the system has been corrected. 

2 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

There is an issue with NCL’s website. It’s been that way for about three weeks. At 130 days out we could only book the first night. After discussing this with the Concierge desk there is not timeframe for this being corrected. NCL recently did an upgrade to their system and it’s a mess. I was told to check back daily to see if the system has been corrected. 

NCL passing the buck - blaming the ole computer internet server ?

Why when you were on the phone with them did they not just simply book the dining time ?

OR make a note of it and call back (email) the reservation confirmation.

It appears that the NCL website has way too much unplanned vacation time and this is happening all too often !

9 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Why when you were on the phone with them did they not just simply book the dining time ?

It appears that the NCL website has way too much unplanned vacation time and this is happening all too often !

When I called the Concierge said she could not access the dinner reservation bookings on their computer either so their conversion/migration has impacted negatively throughout the system.  Would be nice if they would make a note and call/email back but do you really want to trust them to do that given all of the recent chaos?  I’m unwilling to count on them anymore.  I’m also fed up with our PCC with all of the recent chaos and his dismissive attitude.  Anyone know how to get a new PCC?  This recent episode has finally convinced us to shop around other cruiselines.  We like NCL being Platinum Plus but finally have gotten our fill of their amateurish responses to customer concerns/problems.

Edited by mertziek

I would be reluctant to use a NCL PCC.

I prefer working with an established TA as I have done for the past 15 years.

When the computers are down haywire or other I would leave the booking of

the dining shore and other events in the hands of my TA who contacts NCL

and other cruise lines daily if not more frequently for bookings and other

issues needing clarification.

There are other sources of help - a Motor Club membership - a Big Box retailer

- or go online and scout out one with a 800 phone number (check with the BBB

for customer relations issues).

Using an inhouse NCL PCC is just not going to cut as far as I am concerned ! 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

NCL is having the same issues. They cannot book specialty dining either. 

On 6/16/2019 at 11:34 AM, cruisingator2 said:

Thanks!  I called the concierge this AM as I wanted to double check and was told the exact same thing.  What a mess.  She did mention that they had been told everything might be fixed by the end of the month, but she sure didn't sound very confident.   

I still find it odd that the FAQ section of NCL's website has the timeframe listed as 120 days for Suite and Haven guests.   However, the person I spoke to assured me the policy was still 130 days for Suites and Haven, and that the reason I can't book is all tied to their ongoing IT struggles - not a policy change.  I guess we will just have to keep logging in and checking.  

16 minutes ago, Pens fan said:

Thanks!  I called the concierge this AM as I wanted to double check and was told the exact same thing.  What a mess.  She did mention that they had been told everything might be fixed by the end of the month, but she sure didn't sound very confident.   

I still find it odd that the FAQ section of NCL's website has the timeframe listed as 120 days for Suite and Haven guests.   However, the person I spoke to assured me the policy was still 130 days for Suites and Haven, and that the reason I can't book is all tied to their ongoing IT struggles - not a policy change.  I guess we will just have to keep logging in and checking.  

I was told that it would more than likely be at least the end of June before it was corrected. I feel for the customer service and concierge reps as they’re probably catching a lot of flack from customers and there is nothing that they can do nor is it their fault. Hopefully NCL figures it out soon.

• Like 1

My experience in Suites and the Haven has been that the on-board concierge has been super helpful in arranging and rearranging dinner reservations after we are on the ship.  That isn't the ideal answer for a compulsive planner like me, but, again my experience has been excellent getting booked into restaurants there weren't "available".

Enjoy your cruise.

MD

5 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Not sure what the "mess" is. The written policy posted in the OP's original post seems pretty clear that NCL has changed the rules and no longer give suite guests the 10-day head start. 

You can still get the 10 day advance planning at 130 days out for Haven and Suite customers but their computer conversion/migration currently can't handle it.

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Not sure what the "mess" is. The written policy posted in the OP's original post seems pretty clear that NCL has changed the rules and no longer give suite guests the 10-day head start. 

OP here - I was concerned about the FAQ verbiage on NCL's website stating a 120 day window for Suites and Haven guests which was why I created this thread to begin with.  However, when I contacted the Concierge desk they assured me that Suites and Haven still had the 130 day booking window.  She assured me that the only reason that I could not book anything 130 days out was because of their ongoing IT issues, not a change in policy.  I explained to her that the website said that we had a 120 day window and she reiterated that Suites / Haven still have a 130 day window - no change.  Could she be uninformed?  Could NCL's website be wrong?  Take your pick!  

I'll say this.  While she was extremely vague on when the website issues would be resolved regarding booking dining for cruises embarking after 10/06, she was adamant that the 130 day window had not changed.  Considering the widespread things I'm reading about right now regarding NCL's IT issues, I'm inclined to believe the Concierge desk rather than NCL's website.  I could be wrong, though.  Wouldn't be the first time!!

Edited by Pens fan

1 hour ago, Mike D. said:

My experience in Suites and the Haven has been that the on-board concierge has been super helpful in arranging and rearranging dinner reservations after we are on the ship.  That isn't the ideal answer for a compulsive planner like me, but, again my experience has been excellent getting booked into restaurants there weren't "available".

Enjoy your cruise.

MD

I agree.  At the end of the day, being fortunate enough to sail in a suite, I'm pretty sure the concierge will be able to book on board whatever we aren't able to book on our own ahead of time.  I'll still keep trying to book before hand, but I'm not going to stress about it.