Amsterdam visit questions

I could have added on to a previous threads, but have a couple of unique questions. And I thought I had a decent idea of what I was doing, but not sure right now!

My wife and I will be in Amsterdam for a total of nine days, non-cruise related. I'm in work meetings several of those days, and she'll be exploring. Then we plan to explore together for our last 4 days. We already have our Anne Frank house intro + museum tickets. Now we're going through previous threads, and trying to figure out the most efficient method of seeing some of the other attractions. From previous threads, we see the IAmsterdam card, the Holland Pass, and the Museum Card. I had originally thought to just get her a Museum Card, let her see the five museums, and then essentially do that again for both of us. I'm not sure that's the most efficient or logical thing? 

Appreciate input from those who've been recently (or live there!). The I Amsterdam card appears to offer the most options, and although not inexpensive, isn't horrible (with public transit included). The Museum Card is probably the least expensive. I suppose one reasonable option would be to get a Museum Card for her, then do the I Amsterdam cards when we're together? I see I Amsterdam has a separate line at the Rijksmuseum, but you have to book times at Van Gogh once you have the card. Can you book the Van Gogh with the card in hand, but not yet used?

Sorry. We've been researching, but the details on some of this are now driving us nuts! 

Oh, and a PS:  She found the Kinderdijk UNESCO World Heritage Site. Is that reasonably reachable by train from Amsterdam? It showed up on a list of day trips, but looks like a long day trip. Is it worth taking a day to go visit?

Edited by markeb

Choosing a card is a very personal thing. You will indeed have to compare the plus and minus of each card and check if it is worth the price. You can make reservations for museums etc online once you have the card.

Cards are per person. 

Apart from the cards you mention there also is a day or multiday card for public transport in Amsterdam: https://en.gvb.nl/ontdek-amsterdam

and another one incl. some trips outside but mostly near Amsterdam: https://www.iamsterdam.com/en/plan-your-trip/getting-around/public-transport/amsterdam-region-travel-ticket

Kinderdijk isnot that close to Amsterdam and isnot included in any card. You need public transport to get there, it will take about 2 hours each way and this site tells you how to get there: https://9292.nl/en

Another option of course might be Zaanse Schans, closer to Amsterdam.https://www.dezaanseschans.nl/en/

Dutch history about the former Zuiderzee and its villages can be found in Enkhuizen: https://www.zuiderzeemuseum.nl/?lang=en

Apart from all that dutch railways NS also offers some interesting daytickets including some extras. You need to buy those tickets online. I cannot find the english version, but this is in dutch: https://www.ns.nl/spoordeelwinkel

Thanks!

That gives us even more to think about. I think some version of a card for her alone plus a 4-5 day I Amsterdam is going to be about right. And then maybe Zane’s Schans for a day trip. 

Going off memory here, which is not always reliable!  But I'm wondering what the advantage is to buy your wife a separate I Amsterdam card when all she would need is a transportation pass if she already has a museum pass?  The I Amsterdam pass is convenient in that it includes both museums and transportation in one pass, but I believe it is limited to a certain number of days.  I would price out both options and see which best suits your needs.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd give a quick report back.

The trip ultimately divided into my wife's independent explorations, and our time together. We also stayed in two hotels; an Ibis near my meetings not far from the NEMO museum, and the Marriott near the Museumplein for the weekend after the meetings. She ultimately decided to explore mostly near the hotel (although she did do at least one cross town adventure to the flower market, on foot) and paid cash for the museums she went to. That seems to have been the most economical for that time, and she really wasn't riding public transportation.

We bought two 5-day I Amsterdam cards (€10 difference from the 4-day). We ended up only riding public transportation twice, so that was a wash, but we did take the included canal cruise, visited the Rijksmuseum, the Van Gogh Museum, the Hermitage, Stedelijk Museum, the windmills and various "museums" at Zaanse Schans, and I think a quick pop into a couple of other places on the card. We calculated that we at least broke even. We also were able to visit the Anne Frank House, with the intro (not included on any of the city passes that I"m aware of). I'm not sure if we would have been slightly better off with the Museum Card, but I don't believe it would have included the Zaanse Schans admissions.

We're not doing to the penny comparisons, but we're comfortable we did OK on the I Amsterdam card. We were not cruising, so had the time in the city. I personally think the I Amsterdam card is a better deal for 4 or 5 days as you're frankly more likely to use it multiple times. The Rijksmuseum can easily be a day. Van Gogh can be very close to a day. If you're simply popping in to see the Night Watch, and them moving to the next museum in an hour and a half, you'll theoretically get more for your money, but you'll miss some of the lesser known gems.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be in Amsterdam in September staying in the center city area.  The only places I think we will be going is to the museum area.  Is it even worth getting special transportation card?  How much is the transportation without one for a round trip to the museum area?  Thanks for any info.

Do you know where you're staying? If you're in the Museumplein and are reasonably mobile, no, it's not. You can get day tickets from most hotels for around 10 Euro, but the best known museums are all within walking distance. If you're going to make multiple trips from the area around Centraal, and enter multiple museums, the I Amsterdam Card may be a good deal, both for the museum admissions and the transportation. I really think the incremental cost of the I Amsterdam card only kicks in at 4-5 days and greater than 5 admissions, although you do get a canal tour included.