Help with Venice docking point & (walking tour)

cruzinchad

Hi Folks we're in Venice for 11 hours and looking to book a free walking tour which is about 2.5 hours. The tour meets at Campo SS. apostoli I can see this on Google maps. However I've no idea where we're likely to dock. So my question are we likely to dock in Venice? and are most places inc the one mentioned within walking distance? If I know where we dock then i can look on Google maps for directions length of time to walk it etc.

Thanks in advance. 

What ship are you on?  Large ships dock in Venice's Marittima port. (And even some smaller ones.)  There is a small port called San Basilio where some smaller ships dock but it is very limited -- I think only two ships. 

The best thing to do is to either call your cruise line and ask which port, or ask on the board here that's dedicated to your line.

57 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

What ship are you on?  Large ships dock in Venice's Marittima port. (And even some smaller ones.)  There is a small port called San Basilio where some smaller ships dock but it is very limited -- I think only two ships. 

The best thing to do is to either call your cruise line and ask which port, or ask on the board here that's dedicated to your line.

We'll be on the Marella Explorer 2 so not a massive ship.

5 minutes ago, cruzinchad said:

We'll be on the Marella Explorer 2 so not a massive ship.

The ships docking at San Basilio tend to be in the 350-750 passenger size, maybe up to 900. I think your ship is more like 2,000 pax. I would guess you'll be in Marittima port -- but best to try to get info from someone more "in the know".

11 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

Is the Marittima port walking distance to the city?

From Marittima port, take the people mover (fare is 1.5). The people mover will drop you in Piazzale Roma in a mere 3 minutes - from here the city is very walkable. You also have the vaporetto option.

Info on the people mover here:

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-people-mover.htm

Edited by dogs4fun

Your ship is large. It will be at the marittima port.   Take the people mover to Piazza di Roma and then the number 1 Vaporetto to Ca’  d’Oro.

A vaporetto ride on the grand canal is half the fun.   Or you could walk. It’s 25 minutes according to google maps. I would walk 1 way and take the vaporetto the other. 

Edited by Earl Rosebery