Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
DancerMama25

Marriage Certificate along with ID

Recommended Posts

Bridge document really is inferred if your birth certificate shows your last name as  Joan Smith and your DL shows Joan Jones how do they know both documents are for the same person?  The bridge document has both Jones and Smith on it.

 

A better question would be odd birth certificates my ex just said baby girl Jones.  Once you have a passport just keep using that name to book travel.  My family has 3 different last names our paperwork always reflected 3 last names and we never had an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SRF said:

OK, I just had a chance to talk to a US Consular Officer.

 

According to a person who actually issues passports, you need a bridging document if your current name (on your photo ID and to be in your passport) and your citizenship document do not match.

 

I asked why this was not stated on the Consular Affairs website and her answer was that she does not control that.  

 

If you want to argue with a person who daily issues passports, go for it.

They didn't ask for it when DW applied for her first passport and the names definitely didn't match. Plus the website doesn't list this as a requirement. Perhaps a Consular Officer has different requirements when issuing a passport than do the folks who process them at passport issuing centers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/18/2019 at 11:13 PM, matj2000 said:

You don't need all that paperwork.

 

My mother has been on 3 cruises and only has a DL &  BC. 

 

She has been married 3X and has no paperwork from any of it.

 

Had no issues boarding the ship...

Folks don't understand the real reason that a marriage license would absolutely be needed. That is when the cruise is booked in a name that you have no documentation for such as new bride books the cruise in new married name, but still has picture ID in maiden name.

I can't ever remember anyone missing their cruise as long as they had proper birth certificate and a picture ID with same name on cruise documents.

That's why it is usually not asked for.

Edited by cruisinfanatic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

They didn't ask for it when DW applied for her first passport and the names definitely didn't match. Plus the website doesn't list this as a requirement. Perhaps a Consular Officer has different requirements when issuing a passport than do the folks who process them at passport issuing centers.

 

The people issuing passports at the centers are consular officers.

 

As I stated, I asked about why it was not on the website, and they had no idea.

 

When did your DW get her first passport?  Things have changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never brought my marriage lic., and haven't been asked for it.  NO married woman's name will match the BC.  Bring a photocopy, if you want to.

 

It's always a good idea to use your maiden name as your "middle" name when you wed.    So, "Missy Ann Jones" becomes Missy Jones SMITH when she marries.  So simple, and easy!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SRF said:

 

The people issuing passports at the centers are consular officers.

 

As I stated, I asked about why it was not on the website, and they had no idea.

 

When did your DW get her first passport?  Things have changed.

2015 and the requirements listed on the website now are the exact same as they were back then. We have a passport office 18 miles from my house and I've never seen a vacancy for that job title there (which of course isn't conclusive that they don't work there but it is suggestive).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

2015 and the requirements listed on the website now are the exact same as they were back then. We have a passport office 18 miles from my house and I've never seen a vacancy for that job title there (which of course isn't conclusive that they don't work there but it is suggestive).

 

Because Consular Officers are not hired locally.  They are Foreign Service positions and all are filled through a process of examination and interview.   

 

https://careers.state.gov/uploads/82/8d/828dd9d3767f997acb7de795e62a55a3/Foreign-Service-Selection-Process-Brochure-for-Officers-and-Specialists.pdf

 

More like getting a commissioned officer in the military position than a normal job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can argue all you want.  But I talked to a person whose job it is to issue passports.

 

Argue with them.

 

Or argue with the cruise terminal person or CBP officer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, SRF said:

Because Consular Officers are not hired locally.  They are Foreign Service positions and all are filled through a process of examination and interview.   

The majority of the work domestically for Consular Affairs is done by Civil Service staff (and contractors), not Foreign Service - overseas it is mostly Locally Employed Staff with Foreign Service supervision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you need a copy of your marriage license is when you book a cruise under a name different than on your driver's license.  Before I had a passport, and once when passport expired, all I needed was a driver's license and a birth certificate.  Only the first name and date of birth matched.  But agree the best way to cruise is with a passport, even if it is not technically necessary.  

 

And the requirements for getting a passport are much different than for getting on a closed-loop cruise.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cb at sea said:

I've never brought my marriage lic., and haven't been asked for it.  NO married woman's name will match the BC.  Bring a photocopy, if you want to.

 

It's always a good idea to use your maiden name as your "middle" name when you wed.    So, "Missy Ann Jones" becomes Missy Jones SMITH when she marries.  So simple, and easy!

 

 

I thought this hackneyed advice had been corrected so many times on various threads that it would never be trotted out again.

 

Many women who marry do not change their names ( my mother who married in 1948, myself who is in her late sixties and a number of my  my friends my age, my daughter and a number of her friends her age to give a very short list of examples) and, therefore, the names will always match the names on  the birth certificate.

 

It is only when a woman decides to give herself an alias by changing her surname or otherwise using as a legal name something that does not match the first, middle and last names on her birth certificate that a bridge document of legal standing (marriage license, divorce papers, court order, etc) is needed to link the name on the birth certificate, the name on the driver's license, and the cruise reservation.

 

So for anyone that has slid through without needing bridge documents, you have been lucky.

 

Of course, if your state is "Real ID" compliant for drivers licenses and one has an "Real ID" license (gold star hologram on the license), all documentation for any name change from birth to present has been vetted and you may also be allowed to slid through at embarkation.  What immigration will do with a birth certificate and Real ID driver's license where the names don't match might just depend on the officer at the desk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SRF said:

 

Because Consular Officers are not hired locally.  They are Foreign Service positions and all are filled through a process of examination and interview.   

 

https://careers.state.gov/uploads/82/8d/828dd9d3767f997acb7de795e62a55a3/Foreign-Service-Selection-Process-Brochure-for-Officers-and-Specialists.pdf

 

More like getting a commissioned officer in the military position than a normal job.

Here is a description of a Passport Specialist and it is my understanding they are the ones that are issuing passports at passport processing centers https://careers.state.gov/passport/. They do work for the Bureau of Consular Affairs but they are not Consular Officers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SRF said:

You can argue all you want.  But I talked to a person whose job it is to issue passports.

 

Argue with them.

 

Or argue with the cruise terminal person or CBP officer.

Sorry if I hit a nerve, SRF, but I'm not arguing. In fact for the underlying premise, bring the marriage certificate because it's better to be safe then sorry, we agree 100%. I was simply pointing out 1) the State Department website does not require a marriage certificate to be submitted with a first time passport application and 2) we were indeed not required to submit that document for DW's passport application several years ago. Could they ask for it if additional documentation was needed? Yes, they could, just like CBP can, but I suspect it's only asked for if it's not clear from the DMV record what was submitted to support the change of name. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Homosassa said:

 

 

 

Of course, if your state is "Real ID" compliant for drivers licenses and one has an "Real ID" license (gold star hologram on the license), all documentation for any name change from birth to present has been vetted and you may also be allowed to slid through at embarkation.  What immigration will do with a birth certificate and Real ID driver's license where the names don't match might just depend on the officer at the desk. 

Even before REAL ID became a thing DMV's required paperwork to support name changes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Biker19 said:

The majority of the work domestically for Consular Affairs is done by Civil Service staff (and contractors), not Foreign Service - overseas it is mostly Locally Employed Staff with Foreign Service supervision.

 

A Foreign Service Officer is involved.

 

Yes, the actual work of printing them is done by others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Sorry if I hit a nerve, SRF, but I'm not arguing. In fact for the underlying premise, bring the marriage certificate because it's better to be safe then sorry, we agree 100%. I was simply pointing out 1) the State Department website does not require a marriage certificate to be submitted with a first time passport application and 2) we were indeed not required to submit that document for DW's passport application several years ago. Could they ask for it if additional documentation was needed? Yes, they could, just like CBP can, but I suspect it's only asked for if it's not clear from the DMV record what was submitted to support the change of name. 

 

Possibly.

 

But not sure that they have access to DMV records.  And whether DMV even keeps that.

 

As I said, the person I talked to did not know why the website says what it says, but that is not how they actually adjudicate them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here is the answer on the web site of a passport service, not as good as the government but they should know when it takes away from needing their service!

 

Birth certificate for cruise 
by: T Allen 

Question: Hello! Does your birth certificate have to match your driver's license for a cruise?

Answer: It does not have to match the name exactly buy other details should provide a connection between both documents like the birth date and birth place (if applicable).

 

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/name-on-birth-certificate-does-not-match-drivers-license-and-ss-card.html

 

I would still err on the side of proof, much like if you just purchased something expensive before  a cruise and wanted to take it on the cruise.  I would bring proof of purchase so they did not think you had purchased it and were trying to avoid paying duty on the item.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this is not what you asked but,  in my opinion you should not be leaving the country without a passport. God help you if there is some sort of issue and you need to fly home.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, SRF said:

 

Possibly.

 

But not sure that they have access to DMV records.  And whether DMV even keeps that.

 

As I said, the person I talked to did not know why the website says what it says, but that is not how they actually adjudicate them.

The passport processing agencies have access, Consulates may not which may be why your friend says they require the marriage certificate when issuing passports. According to the quote I provided from the Vermont DMV website it does say that the documentation is kept on file and it's my understanding that other DMV's do the same. The government collects paperwork. It's one of the things they are good at (the other thing they are good as is asking for the paperwork if it is required😀). 

Edited by sparks1093

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, fredflint said:

So here is the answer on the web site of a passport service, not as good as the government but they should know when it takes away from needing their service!

 

Birth certificate for cruise 
by: T Allen 

Question: Hello! Does your birth certificate have to match your driver's license for a cruise?

Answer: It does not have to match the name exactly but other details should provide a connection between both documents like the birth date and birth place (if applicable).

 

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/name-on-birth-certificate-does-not-match-drivers-license-and-ss-card.html

 

I would still err on the side of proof, much like if you just purchased something expensive before  a cruise and wanted to take it on the cruise.  I would bring proof of purchase so they did not think you had purchased it and were trying to avoid paying duty on the item.

 

That is the part that comes into play.

 

But a government photo ID (DL) with the same birth date, and a similar enough name, might be enough.

 

Such as taking your maiden name as your middle name.  So your first, maiden last, and birthday all are the same.

 

BUT..... 😄

 

Like the Scouts say, Be Prepared

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a 7-day Caribbean cruise for two!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...