Opal card

I reading you get an opal card at the airport but it a $35 dollar minimum. I taking a shuttle to my hotel so I don’t need that much on. 

I reading it $19 dollar to go cruise terminal but if I go home my hotel it’s $4-5 dollars. I want to go to the zoo , can I pay at the train station in mascot. Plus I might take it a couple of times. Do I just tap my credit card. How does it know how much to charge you. Sorry for so many questions.

You don't need to get an Opal card. You can use a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express card.

You tap the card on the reader when you enter the station (called tapping on), and tap again (called tapping off) to exit the station, then your card is charged accordingly. If you don't tap off you will be charged a maximum daily rate. 

This also applies to all buses and ferries that accept Opal cards.

The card you use must be contactless enabled ie have a RFID chip in it.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

You don't need to get an Opal card. You can use a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express card.

You tap the card on the reader when you enter the station (called tapping on), and tap again (called tapping off) to exit the station, then your card is charged accordingly. If you don't tap off you will be charged a maximum daily rate. 

This also applies to all buses and ferries that accept Opal cards.

The card you use must be contactless enabled ie have a RFID chip in it.

Wouldn't that be expensive with rate conversion fees, presuming their card issuer charges them?

8 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Wouldn't that be expensive with rate conversion fees, presuming their card issuer charges them?

Possibly but if they are only going to do a couple of trips the convenience might outweigh any extra costs. And if they're smart they'll get a credit or debit card that doesn't charge foreign exchange fees.

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Possibly but if they are only going to do a couple of trips the convenience might outweigh any extra costs. And if they're smart they'll get a credit or debit card that doesn't charge foreign exchange fees.

Opal card issue is free  and minimum load is $10, I believe the daily cap is $15.80. It would depend on how many trips are planned and over the cap is free. You're right, a fee free card would be convenient. Compared to the cost of the vacation any fees could be peanuts.

I have a seniors' Opal card which is capped $2.50 a day. It's the only benefit I get and I love it.

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Opal card issue is free  and minimum load is $10, I believe the daily cap is $15.80. It would depend on how many trips are planned and over the cap is free. You're right, a fee free card would be convenient. Compared to the cost of the vacation any fees could be peanuts.

I have a seniors' Opal card which is capped $2.50 a day. It's the only benefit I get and I love it.

Apparently if you buy an Opal card at the airport the minimum is $35. 

Yes, the seniors' card is great. Not available for tourists though.

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Sadly not. Bummer.

Th

14 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

This is most likely due to the $15 airport tax attached to any fare leaving the airport. That is why it is $18-19 from the airport but less from Mascot.

Just now, MicCanberra said:

Th

This is most likely due to the $15 airport tax attached to any fare leaving the airport. That is why it is $18-19 from the airport but less from Mascot.

Exactly.

14 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Correct  - but you will use at least $15 of that to get into Central Sydney by train. We bought our cards at a convenience store and kept them because we knew we would be back at some stage.

Any Sydneysiders - can you still buy paper ticket? I remember in 2017 arriving at Circular Quay station and couldn't find my Opal card. I was able to buy a ticket to go to the airport. 

To the OP - just wait until you need to use your Opal card to buy it. You don't need to buy it at the airport.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

https://transportnsw.info/tickets-opal/opal/fares-payments

Single trip tickets -

If you don't have an Opal card or contactless payment card, you will need to get an Opal single trip ticket. Designed as a back up option, Opal single tickets are available for metro, train, bus, ferry and light rail. Unless you are travelling by bus or require child fares, in most cases paying by contactless payment using a tap and go bank card, will be cheaper and easier than using an Opal single ticket. Opal single tickets are available as Adult or Child/Youth only. Child/Youth single tickets are for those aged 4-15 years old or eligible secondary students. There are no other concessions available as a single ticket. You cannot break your journey with Opal single tickets and there are no return tickets. You will need to buy a new ticket each time you need to change to another service. Your single trip ticket also needs to be tapped on and then off at the Opal card readers. If you do not tap on and off with your Opal single trip ticket, you are travelling on an invalid ticket and you may be fined. There is a limit of two Adult and two Child/Youth Opal single trip tickets in a single transaction. Tickets are valid on the day of purchase until 4am the next day. Ticket refunds are only available if the ticket is faulty.

Opal card -

OpalPay is a convenient way to pay for travel using your Opal card on participating transport services, including selected private ferries and On Demand public transport. With OpalPay, you can use your Opal card on a wider range of transport services. You don’t need another card, you can just tap to pay with your Opal card for a handy way to pay your fare. OpalPay is available wherever you see 'OpalPay accepted here'.

Contactless  -

Contactless is a quick and easy way to pay for your trip on Sydney Metro, Sydney Trains or NSW TrainLink Intercity rail services, light rail or on a Sydney Ferries service. If you have an American Express, Mastercard or Visa credit or debit card or a linked device, you can use it to pay for your travel by tapping on and tapping off at Opal readers at stations and Sydney Ferries' wharves. Just look for the contactless payment symbol /sites/default/files/styles/thumbnail/public/image/2017/07/contactless-symbol.png?itok=KL_eUfMj. Standard (peak) Adult Opal fare pricing applies. If you consistently use the same contactless card or linked device to tap on and tap off, you may qualify for Opal daily, weekly and Sunday fare caps but no other Opal benefits apply.