Will I like Pacific Princess??

Clampram

I'm thinking about a Hawaii one way cruise on PP next year as Hawaii is on our bucket list. We love both the Regal and the Royal and have been on each several times.

I think I will enjoy the smaller size of the PP............has anyone done the Hawaii cruise on the Pacific or after being on one of the newer ship and have experiences that you would share??

Thanks in advance

Just now, Clampram said:

Hi Ken.........tag away.........interested in Hawaii??

We’ve been there on a HAL cruise a few years ago, but really like the looks of the Princess 28 day Hawaii, Tahiti and Samoa cruise. Hopefully we’ll be able to book it when the winter 2021 itineraries get posted. 

1 hour ago, Clampram said:

We've got 177 days one the Pacific Princess and the former Ocean Princess. Both are the same class of ship. We've got another 66 days scheduled on the Pacific Princess in the next 19 months. I guess you could say we like her quite a bit.

If you like getting to know your fellow passengers along with the crew, you'll like the Pacific Princess.

If you like having the dancers double as cruise staff, you'll like the Pacific Princess.

If you like not having to pack a lunch before going from one end of the ship to the other, you'll like the Pacific Princess.

If you like getting into ports that the big ships can't, you'll like the Pacific Princess.

If you like no or very short lines for tendering, you'll like the Pacific Princess.

If you like cabins that are a bit more spacious than other ships in the Princess fleet, you'll like the Pacific Princess.

If you like taking the stairs but can't handle more than five decks at a time, you'll like the Pacific Princess.

but ...

If you like Anytime Dining, that's not on the Pacific Princess.

If you insist on seeing huge production shows, that's not on the Pacific Princess.

If you get seasick just thinking about small ships, you might want to reconsider or at least get a mid-ship lower deck cabin.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Clampram said:

I'm thinking about a Hawaii one way cruise on PP next year as Hawaii is on our bucket list. We love both the Regal and the Royal and have been on each several times.

I think I will enjoy the smaller size of the PP............has anyone done the Hawaii cruise on the Pacific or after being on one of the newer ship and have experiences that you would share??

Thanks in advance

Yes.

Enjoy.

We disembarked the Pacific Princess last month.  It's our favorite ship.  It has a very clubby feel.  We have done the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise on her.  If you like ATD, that isn't offered on Pacific Princess. You will have to use the buffet.  The staff to passenger ratio is better on the Pacific than the other ships.  We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful.  Most of what is offered on other ships is offered on the Pacific Princess. No art sales.  The EFFY sales were really obnoxious.  Shopping is a bit limited, because of the size of the ship.   It is not Medallion, nor is that contemplated for her, according to Passenger Services.  It only has bow thrusters.  So, she uses tugs at some ports.  I woke up to a tug underneath my balcony in Aruba.  We book balcony cabins as they are situated between passenger decks.  They do have a chair in them, in addition to the desk chair.  We met people in minisuites who said the noise from public decks was not onerous.  The balconies are covered.  Boarding is a snap.  Walk right on.  There isn't a walk-around Promenade.  But, it's a wonderful place to sit and read.  The library is great.  The internet was so-so.  But, they were installing coax throughout the ship to upgrade it.  No thermal suite.  But, there is a thalassotherapy pool you can sign up for.  

If you're really into the activities, great variety in the buffet and ATD, this ship may disappoint. We're really self-directed.  We loaded books on our mobile devices and were happy campers.  

Lani

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, CZEE said:

We disembarked the Pacific Princess last month.  It's our favorite ship.  It has a very clubby feel.  We have done the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise on her.  If you like ATD, that isn't offered on Pacific Princess. You will have to use the buffet.  The staff to passenger ratio is better on the Pacific than the other ships.  We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful.  Most of what is offered on other ships is offered on the Pacific Princess. No art sales.  The EFFY sales were really obnoxious.  Shopping is a bit limited, because of the size of the ship.   It is not Medallion, nor is that contemplated for her, according to Passenger Services.  It only has bow thrusters.  So, she uses tugs at some ports.  I woke up to a tug underneath my balcony in Aruba.  We book balcony cabins as they are situated between passenger decks.  They do have a chair in them, in addition to the desk chair.  We met people in minisuites who said the noise from public decks was not onerous.  The balconies are covered.  Boarding is a snap.  Walk right on.  There isn't a walk-around Promenade.  But, it's a wonderful place to sit and read.  The library is great.  The internet was so-so.  But, they were installing coax throughout the ship to upgrade it.  No thermal suite.  But, there is a thalassotherapy pool you can sign up for.  

If you're really into the activities, great variety in the buffet and ATD, this ship may disappoint. We're really self-directed.  We loaded books on our mobile devices and were happy campers.  

Lani

So the minisuites are all under common areas..........haven't really investigated that yet but I will! THX!

37 minutes ago, CZEE said:

Lani

On the Oceania R-class ships up at the buffet, they have a partially covered outdoor area with about 20 tables where you can sit outside and eat. Is there such an area up at the Pacific's buffet?

26 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

On the Oceania R-class ships up at the buffet, they have a partially covered outdoor area with about 20 tables where you can sit outside and eat. Is there such an area up at the Pacific's buffet?

Absolutely yes!

18 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We haven't sailed Pacific Princess but... I "think" the pools are salt water if this matters to the OP. Is this the case or am I misinformed?

Yes, the pool is salt water.

55 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

yes a great place to eat

Personally, I love the PP but 4 of my friends recently did a 30 day cruise on it and hated the ship.  They're used to bigger ships with more to do.  I guess they were really tossed around a lot, had flooding issues in the bow of the ship and really disliked the way they do the buffet at dinner time.  They said there were very limited choices and not at all what they wanted in a buffet for dinner.  Everyone is different so really take all of the posts into consideration with YOUR personal expectations. 

• Like 1

Very friendly crew and got to know quite a few on our TA last December.

Food good but very little variety on the buffet. Home made ice cream in buffet very good.

Less variety of entertainment in evening and we turned in earlier than probably any other ship.

Overall we decided we prefer larger ships but still was a very enjoyable cruise

• Like 1

Just off the Royal Princess and we would take the Pacific Princess over the Royal any day.

Pacific Princess is our favorite Princess ship followed by the Coral Princess.  But the Pacific Princess is not for everyone. If you cannot entertain yourself and want a lot of activities this isn't your ship.  It is a very laid back type of ship.  Expect it to be very different than the larger ships.

We like its size and the fact it carries only 670 passengers. You make new friends on this small ship.  It has the best food of all the Princess ships we have cruised.  The mini-suites are different than the ones on Princesses  other ships, and prefer Pacific's mini-suites (though I would like a larger TV).  The staff we have encountered on our 3 times on the ship is the best and they also love the ship.  It is an older ship but is well maintained.    

Looking forward to our next cruise on her,  a 35 day Tahiti/South Pacific to Fort Lauderdale.

I've been on both the Pacific and the Royal.  They are nothing alike, except that are both ships, lol.  

If you are going to have a lot of sea days, I would pick the Royal.  It's a destination in itself.  For a port intensive cruise, I would be okay with the Pacific.  It's not a bad ship, but there just aren't as many dining choices and activities as the larger ships. 

• Like 1

I like the R class ships.  As far as I am concerned, any ship with more than 1000 or so passengers on it is a behemoth.  However, since we have no idea of the likes and dislikes of the OP,  none of us can answer their question.  

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1