Last minute 6/23 Escape to Bermuda

graphicguy

So, talking to my boss during our Monday debrief from the week before, the topic of time off came up.  My boss said since I hadn’t taken any, the window was closing to get any preferred time I may want (meaning, with conferences, trade shows, etc, I would be booked until Sept).  Off the cuff, I said, how about next week.  Fine with him.

The question became, what to do?  I’ve booked last minute before, but never less than a week until departure.  Sure enough, looking at RCCL, CCL, NCL and Celebrity, I could actually see some availability with all of them for next week.  The difference, pricing for all of them was a bit over what I thought it should be.

I was in the Bahamas in February.  I’ve been all over the Caribbean.  Even though I have been to Bermuda (which I dearly love), it’s been a few years.  My TA (who has all of my records) mentioned that the Escape was going to Bermuda next week.  But, it was on the Escape, which I sailed in Feb to the Bahamas.  Loved the ship, however.

I love balconies, but have sailed solo cabins, and was willing to look at those.  Still, with 3 overnights in Bermuda, it’s really nice to sit on your balcony after a day’s activities and just look at the beautiful area.

There were some solo cabins left, but there were only GTY balcony cabins left.  Have never done a GTY cabin, but looking at what some of you had said, I thought...”hey, give it a shot”.  I’d be a solo (once again), which I seem to be doing a lot of lately.

Welllll, I’m booked in a balcony GTY cabin, as of noon EDT today and have no idea where it will be or what kind of balcony it will be.  I may not know until Sunday.  Who knows?  I may even look at some 

Anyway, I’ll post here on what I find out as far as my cabin is concerned as well as give a pic review once I’m underway.

Now, I have to find the M&G to sign up.

• Like 6

Nice! Enjoy.  Hopefully you get lucky and get a nice spot or even bumped up to a mini or something. 

Of all the places to go, Bermuda would be the most ideal for last minute/no time to plan anything.  It's go to the beach, or go to the beach, or go to the beach lol.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

Nice! Enjoy.  Hopefully you get lucky and get a nice spot or even bumped up to a mini or something. 

Of all the places to go, Bermuda would be the most ideal for last minute/no time to plan anything.  It's go to the beach, or go to the beach, or go to the beach lol.  

Thanks!  My exact plan!

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

So, talking to my boss during our Monday debrief from the week before, the topic of time off came up.  My boss said since I hadn’t taken any, the window was closing to get any preferred time I may want (meaning, with conferences, trade shows, etc, I would be booked until Sept).  Off the cuff, I said, how about next week.  Fine with him.

The question became, what to do?  I’ve booked last minute before, but never less than a week until departure.  Sure enough, looking at RCCL, CCL, NCL and Celebrity, I could actually see some availability with all of them for next week.  The difference, pricing for all of them was a bit over what I thought it should be.

I was in the Bahamas in February.  I’ve been all over the Caribbean.  Even though I have been to Bermuda (which I dearly love), it’s been a few years.  My TA (who has all of my records) mentioned that the Escape was going to Bermuda next week.  But, it was on the Escape, which I sailed in Feb to the Bahamas.  Loved the ship, however.

I love balconies, but have sailed solo cabins, and was willing to look at those.  Still, with 3 overnights in Bermuda, it’s really nice to sit on your balcony after a day’s activities and just look at the beautiful area.

There were some solo cabins left, but there were only GTY balcony cabins left.  Have never done a GTY cabin, but looking at what some of you had said, I thought...”hey, give it a shot”.  I’d be a solo (once again), which I seem to be doing a lot of lately.

Welllll, I’m booked in a balcony GTY cabin, as of noon EDT today and have no idea where it will be or what kind of balcony it will be.  I may not know until Sunday.  Who knows?  I may even look at some 

Anyway, I’ll post here on what I find out as far as my cabin is concerned as well as give a pic review once I’m underway.

Now, I have to find the M&G to sign up.

Have a great time! We just got back on Sunday, love Bermuda

• Like 1

Just got off the Escape to Bermuda June 2nd-9th. We had a great trip! My parents booked last minute to sail with us (6 days out). They booked a GTY BF and were assigned a BB on deck 13 which they were thrilled with! Hopefully you will have similar luck. It only took about 24 hours to get their cabin assignment. I am sure no matter what assignment you get, you will have a fantastic time. There really are no "bad" balcony locations on the Breakaway Plus class ships. We've been right next to the elevators with no noise issues... right below the pool deck... right below Spice H2O... really they have all been fine.

• Like 3

If you're gonna book a last minute cruise out of NYC then Bermuda is THE best destination you could ask for!  Being able to use the ship as a "floating hotel" while you're docked at Kings Wharf for 3 days is better than flying in, booking a hotel, having to figure out where you're going to eat for EVERY meal, etc. etc.

Have a great cruise!!

• Like 4

19 hours ago, graphicguy said:

... 3 overnights in Bermuda ... booked in a balcony GTY cabin, as of noon EDT today and have no idea where it will be or what  ... I’ll post here on what ... as well as give a pic review once I’m underway ... 

Very nice find.  Haha, now some of us get to stalk you along ... actually, surprised of last minute deals this late in June out of NY.  Good solo prices for a GTY balcony ... and I am sure you got the double CruiseNext deal in plus other OBC.  My guess is that you will see a balcony assigned as early as today or tomorrow, probably no later than Thursday as NCL played with upgrade bidding ... let us know, my bets are something on Deck 9 or 10.   Enjoy !

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Just got off the Escape to Bermuda June 2nd-9th. We had a great trip! My parents booked last minute to sail with us (6 days out). They booked a GTY BF and were assigned a BB on deck 13 which they were thrilled with! Hopefully you will have similar luck. It only took about 24 hours to get their cabin assignment. I am sure no matter what assignment you get, you will have a fantastic time. There really are no "bad" balcony locations on the Breakaway Plus class ships. We've been right next to the elevators with no noise issues... right below the pool deck... right below Spice H2O... really they have all been fine.

Jamie...good to hear.  How nice to sail with family.

Don’t have a cabin assignment yet.  But, my TA said they still had Spa and Minis still left, and she thought I might have a good shot at one of those.  Won’t matter.  Price was so good for the GTY, and the fact there are no obstructed views on the Escape, I’ll be happy wherever they put me.

Once again, I got OBC of $200 from AMEX for using their card to book, and $150 from my TA.  So, $350 OBC (if not in a Spa Cabin, I may just buy a week pass with it).  Plus, got all the perks with the GTY (drinks, dining, internet, excursion credit).  Get some free laundry and some sparkling wine because of being Platinum.  Got a couple of specialty dinners, in addition to the 3DP that already came with the cabin.

Looks like I won’t be eating in the MDRs at all.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Very nice find.  Haha, now some of us get to stalk you along ... actually, surprised of last minute deals this late in June out of NY.  Good solo prices for a GTY balcony ... and I am sure you got the double CruiseNext deal in plus other OBC.  My guess is that you will see a balcony assigned as early as today or tomorrow, probably no later than Thursday as NCL played with upgrade bidding ... let us know, my bets are something on Deck 9 or 10.   Enjoy !

Thanks!

Stalking.  I would expect no less.

Yes, did the “double Cruise Next” certificate.  GTY balcony cabin for a solo with fees was a little less than $1,400 all in.  Got the perks, too.  With the certificates, I came in well under $1,000....for a Balcony....sailing to Bermuda, on one of their new ships.  Can’t beat that.

Looks like I have some laundry to do.

Been sailing out of Manhattan a lot here lately.  I’m getting to know it pretty well (for better or worse).  The only flights I could find that were reasonable get me in the day of sailing and the same return day as my disembarkation.  

You know how that can turn out.  So, let’s see how that scenario goes.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Haha 1

Thanks!

Stalking.  I would expect no less.

Yes, did the “double Cruise Next” certificate.  GTY balcony cabin for a solo with fees was a little less than $1,400 all in.  Got the perks, too.  With the certificates, I came in well under $1,000....for a Balcony....sailing to Bermuda, on one of their new ships.  Can’t beat that.

Looks like I have some laundry to do.

Been sailing out of Manhattan a lot here lately.  I’m getting to know it pretty well (for better or worse).  The only flights I could find that were reasonable get me in the day of sailing and the same return day as my disembarkation.  

You know how that can turn out.  So, let’s see how that scenario goes.

Congrats! I read all your reviews! My dh and I sailed on the Escape two years ago out of POM and it is our favorite NCL, although I hope to love Encore even better when we sail next July LOL

What day does Escape leave this week? I'm in NY and our weather looks good for both Saturday and Sunday so you should be okay on this end.

Forget the laundry.  Bring to dry cleaners and have them clean and press for you, or even ask them to fold it and one less thing for you to do.

Enjoy!

Edited by js
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, js said:

Congrats! I read all your reviews! My dh and I sailed on the Escape two years ago out of POM and it is our favorite NCL, although I hope to love Encore even better when we sail next July LOL

What day does Escape leave this week? I'm in NY and our weather looks good for both Saturday and Sunday so you should be okay on this end.

Forget the laundry.  Bring to dry cleaners and have them clean and press for you, or even ask them to fold it and one less thing for you to do.

Enjoy!

Thanks....I like the way you think regarding laundry...;)

We sail Sunday, 6/23.  Glad the weather looks good.  Last time I sailed out of NYC, it was on the cruise that was hit by a huge gust of wind causing the Escape to list.  Then again, that was in February.  Should be much smoother sailing this go round.

Plus....Bermuda....how bad can that possibly be.

I'll keep everyone up-to-date until cruise date, during the cruise date, and post pics when I return.

My countdown shows 5 days to sailing.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, js said:

Sunday, 76 Mostly Sunny.

Take lots of pictures! Even of that finished laundry LOL

Love the Escape and Bermuda!

Have a blast!

Thanks.  That’s my plan.

Just got my final “goodie perks” last night.

I love scoring a deal so close to sailing.  This is for a GTY Balcony Cabin....

$400 Onboard Credit For Cabin
3 Meal Specialty Dining Package
Dinner For 2 At A French Restaurant
Internet Package (250 Minutes) Per Cabin
Internet Package (30 Minutes Per Cabin)
Premium Beverage Package
Shore Excursion $50 Credit Per Port
  • Like 5

23 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Henry...you were right.  Just got the cabin assignment.....10880.  Looks fine..AFT!

I also just got the offer to upgrade.  Did the “lowest” poor bid on a Haven Spa Suite, a Spa Mini-Suite, and a Spa balcony.

I figured with the OBC, I’d get a spa pass anyway.  So, if I can get a spa cabin/suite for the minimum, I’d be happy.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Henry...you were right.  Just got the cabin assignment.....10880.  Looks fine..AFT!

I also just got the offer to upgrade.  Did the “lowest” poor bid on a Haven Spa Suite, a Spa Mini-Suite, and a Spa balcony.

I figured with the OBC, I’d get a spa pass anyway.  So, if I can get a spa cabin/suite for the minimum, I’d be happy.

How did you score a $400 OBC

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

How did you score a $400 OBC

It's a combination.  I'm Platinum Latitudes, so that scored me $100 OBC.  AMEX Platinum offers $200 OBC if you use their card to book the cruise (for a balcony or mini-suite......$300 for a full suite/Haven Suite).  My TA gave me $100 for booking with them.

All rolled up, $400.

I've received as much as 3X that amount on some cruises.  Just depends on the promos and/or the category you cruise.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

It's a combination.  I'm Platinum Latitudes, so that scored me $100 OBC.  AMEX Platinum offers $200 OBC if you use their card to book the cruise (for a balcony or mini-suite......$300 for a full suite/Haven Suite).  My TA gave me $100 for booking with them.

All rolled up, $400.

I've received as much as 3X that amount on some cruises.  Just depends on the promos and/or the category you cruise.

Great. If you used two CruiseNext vouchers you should also receive another $100 OBC, unless it is not combinable with some of your other perks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

... Just got the cabin assignment.....10880.  Looks fine..AFT!  ... got the offer to upgrade.  Did the “lowest” poor bid on a Haven Spa Suite, a Spa Mini-Suite, and a Spa balcony ... 

Cool & happy sailing.  Flying into LGA again - you know the tricks, was just there recently.  Keep me busy following the NCL gang sailing MSC this weekend and you ... just to learn what's new.  That's right by the AFT elevators & stairs, but should be quiet by design, we got something similar on the Escape this January & also on the Breakaway over Cagney.  Easy "stair"masters down to dining and Waterfront & a quick elevator ride up to everything else. 

Looked like the Escape is near/sold-out at the moment, no longer listed for new booking ... upgrade bids should be processing shortly in stages and enjoy the spa.  

If you have 100 shares of NCLH in your porfolio, that's another $100 OBC tossed in, to stock up on CruiseNext.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Cool & happy sailing.  Flying into LGA again - you know the tricks, was just there recently.  Keep me busy following the NCL gang sailing MSC this weekend and you ... just to learn what's new.  That's right by the AFT elevators & stairs, but should be quiet by design, we got something similar on the Escape this January & also on the Breakaway over Cagney.  Easy "stair"masters down to dining and Waterfront & a quick elevator ride up to everything else. 

Looked like the Escape is near/sold-out at the moment, no longer listed for new booking ... upgrade bids should be processing shortly in stages and enjoy the spa.  

If you have 100 shares of NCLH in your porfolio, that's another $100 OBC tossed in, to stock up on CruiseNext.  

Thanks.....will let you know if I score an upgrade bid.  Should know shortly.

Curious about the NCL folks sailing MSC.  Do they have a thread?

Been lurking on their Seaside roll call this Saturday - here  Dexddd and Arzenna are NCL vets, as you probably know.   One of my BIL & his extended family booked on the Meraviglia out of NY this Fall, RT to NE/Canada overnighting in Quebec.  I stay alert to last minute deals, probably not until schools & classes resume for Fall specials.  

• Like 1

Thanks.....will let you know if I score an upgrade bid.  Should know shortly.

Curious about the NCL folks sailing MSC.  Do they have a thread?

My Wife and I sailed MSC Seaside in April.  We were in no hurry to book another cruise with them.  Escape/Getaway offered so much more in our opinion.  From free dining choices to Entertainment...bar service, etc....

MSC had good coffees on the premium drink package, but that wasn't nearly enough to get me back again.

• Like 1

@mking8288.....cool.  Thanks!  I’ll check out the thread.

41 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

My Wife and I sailed MSC Seaside in April.  We were in no hurry to book another cruise with them.  Escape/Getaway offered so much more in our opinion.  From free dining choices to Entertainment...bar service, etc....

MSC had good coffees on the premium drink package, but that wasn't nearly enough to get me back again.

I last sailed MSC last year in the Mediterranean on the Meraviglia.  But, that’s right in their sweet spot for locations. And, we were in the Yacht Club.  It was a fun cruise.  Not certain how sailing the “other” parts of the ship would be like.  Entertainment compared to NCL was a pretty big let down, though.

Just informed none of my upgrade bids were accepted for either the Haven or the Spa Suite.  

I'm more than OK with that given I only bid the absolute minimum and got such a good deal on the cabin I have now.

Looking to buy Spa access with my OBC.

Should be onboard in 48 hours.

• Like 3