how to search for something

It used to be simple to search for certain information.  If I am in Royal Caribbeans's thread and I want to search for certain information (in this case postings about the Port of Miami) I used to just click on "search" and I had the option of selecting where I wanted to search (i.e. the forum I am reading posts in or???)  Now when I select search, I am searching in the entire "community".  How do I search in certain areas?

• Like 1

If I wanted to know about port of Miami I would search Florida Departures Forum or would simply Google Port of Miami.  I too do not like the changes made to CC over the past year.  Not user friendly to those of us not as computer literate as Bob, John, Ken, Merion Mom and a few others.  

16 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

When I click in thr Seach box, I can choose "Search In", "Find results that contain", and "Find results in (titles, titles and body)".

That used to be the case for me as well until recently. What the OP is saying is that does not pop up anymore when taping search. Instead, “search the community” screen comes up an it is not evident that there is a place to select specific forums.

3 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

That used to be the case for me as well until recently. What the OP is saying is that does not pop up anymore when taping search. Instead, “search the community” screen comes up an it is not evident that there is a place to select specific forums.

I'd try the usual:  clear cookies, clear cache, private browsing mode, different browser.

42 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Did all that. Used a different computer. Same thing. Oh Well, sigh. Maybe this is why so many people post saying they tried searching with no luck.

Are you using the Search box that is in the upper right of the main RC page, just below your CC name?  There is a large magnifying glass icon on the very top right of the page, which is not the search function that I've used.  I use the one that is below the CC name.

On mobile devices:

If you tap the search in the CC banner you should see

image.png.cbdc6c654489546a59c219e6caace1d7.png

This allows you to search the CC web site. Not the boards. To search the boards tap the search (magnifying glass) on the blue toolbar. It should bring up the mobile search form.

image.thumb.png.26052632cc6a39401cbe8259f945f24e.png

To search particular forums, tap Topics. This will make visible a drop down/up list titled Cruise Critic Community.

image.png.4559793279ec34dc2fc83940778daaef.png

Tap the Select button to get a list of topics and topic areas. An entry with a right arrowhead indicates there are subtopics. Tap the arrowhead to see the list. You can make multiple selections by taping them. Another tap will deselect the line. As you add or remove selections they are added/removed from the select box.

image.png.edd583dfa31c0148c8964710556a0f6d.png

On 6/17/2019 at 11:37 AM, tampadee said:

It used to be simple to search for certain information.  If I am in Royal Caribbeans's thread and I want to search for certain information (in this case postings about the Port of Miami) I used to just click on "search" and I had the option of selecting where I wanted to search (i.e. the forum I am reading posts in or???)  Now when I select search, I am searching in the entire "community".  How do I search in certain areas?

From a desktop when sitting at the top of the forum click in the search box and pick this forum only, then in the search box quote the 3 words "Port of Miami"

image.png.2fc9b2f63d03e38780619a6070cf0fe7.png

that gets these results

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q="Port of Miami"&type=forums_topic&nodes=51

Then if you click the more search options you can filter or changge or sort

image.thumb.png.22f74647839c5da9351565370393284c.png

Edited by AlanF65

• Host Kat changed the title to how to search for something