Calling all jazz cruisers

wwcruisers

better to error on the side of caution..Tom Joyner's Fantastic Voyage Cruise on Carnival will be rescheduled so I suspect since RCCL puled the plug ECP will be able to work with all Stakeholders to do the same ..the ultimate goal will be to make every guest whole and then the entire Travel Industry will turn to the Government to recover their financial losses  and much like the Airlines had to re write an entirely new playbook after the closing of air space after 911 , the Travel Insurance industry will have new guidelines based upon these unique set of events..the challenge of course is the  unknown timeline  it will take to manage thru this crisis 

I am tying go figure out how to get thru this weekend with  Sports, Church  and local New Orleans Food & Music Festivals all cancelled so I will dig into my stash of books that I ordered to read on cruises and reorganize my extensive  Smooth Jazz CD collection according to the specific Smooth Jazz Charter i was on and look forward to 2021 Jazz Cruising after a long layoff

Hoping that you're right, Hattack! I DO hope that ECP comes out of this OK (I'm pretty sure that RCCL will) -- as I'm now REALLY looking forward to next January's Blue Note at Sea cruise!

And, you are so right on finding positive and uplifting things to do, while we are all in 'solitary' -- as it were. Last evening my DH and I brought home burgers from our favorite local food truck, put on our Smooth Jazz Cruise '18 CD, and watched the sun set. Not as much fun as our sail-away party would have been -- but close. 😉

interesting , Louisiana Public Broadcasting (LPB) is rerunning all 8 episodes of Ken Burns Country Music Documentary in Binge Watching form since the NCAA March Madness Conference Championships have been cancelled and CBS is showing reruns of past Conference Championship Games (spoiler, we already know how they turned out )...it reinforces the link between Country Music & Jazz ..somewhat surprise that ECP has not picked up on the " 6 Degrees of Separation " and be reflective in the line up on both versions of future full charter music theme cruises 

since there is no Sunday Church during this Health Scare, your DH might find a Smooth Jazz FM Radio Station on Sunday Morning and you can have a Sunday  style New Orleans Gospel  Shrimp & Grits  Brunch (that he cooks for you ) while listening to a Jonathan Butler & Kirk Whalum "The Gospel According to Jazz CD's marathon 

don;t forget to stockpile hand wipes (after the crisis has past and the price scalping has gone away ) to pack in your Smooth Jazz Cruise suitcases that you keep in your Den so you won;t have to run out and obtain for your January BNAS 

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the 21 BNAS update ..interesting .....Capetown SA has been designated as the 2021 International Jazz Day Global Host City celebration during the 2021 Capetown International Jazz Festival which has always been on my "Bucket List" 

I'm beginning to think one  Capetown  International Jazz Festival verses  two Full Charter Smooth Jazz Cruises for 2021 & 2022 

Yes -- we just heard that the 2021 BNAC was being canceled, to make room for our re-scheduled 20.2 SJC. In the week or two since RCCL pulled the plug on that one, the folks at ECP have been working hard to find a workable replacement date. Sadly, they decided to cancel the BNAC (which we also were booked on) to make that happen. Right now, I just want a jazz cruise to look forward to -- so, we were a big "YES!" when they asked us if we were interested. Will keep everyone posted, as we learn more. 😏

if it helps there is an historic precedent that should give everyone Faith in how all Stakeholders can come together to ensure that full charter music cruises will continue to be a therapeutic conduit to heal ( paraphrase "Bridge Over Trouble Waters " ) when times are stressful 

in 2005 we were book on The All Star Smooth Jazz Cruise hosted by Rick Braun  in November on a Carnival Fantasy Class Vessel out of Houston ..Hurricane Katrina disrupted those best laid plans ..Carnival made the decision to pull 3 Fantasy Class vessels out of service ( including ours) to provide support for recovery efforts in New Orleans and Mobile and moved the (then) brand new Carnival Conquest sailing out of New Orleans to Houston ..the Promoters worked closely with Carnival, the artists who were schedule to perform and the booked guests (especially those of us who lived in the impacted area ) to move the full charter to the larger Conquest class vessel and in essence become a large group on a "regular" sailing in December which required adjustments for all parities which was successful due to the Promoters working with the Carnival Conquest Staff to ensure that everyone enjoyed a week of respite from the horrible aftershock of Katrina 

Rick and his fellow performing artists went above and beyond to use their musical gifts to make the week incredibly comforting and special for everyone ..the Conquest onboard staff went above and beyond to make our group feel welcomed as well as the non Smooth Jazz guests who could have felt that their cruise was disrupted due to having to share venues that they would normally have access to...on the last full day at sea , the promoters and the CD hosted an open thank you concert on the Lido Deck featuring all of our Smooth Jazz artists which was the highlight of the week 

that week with the music and the smooth seas , got me thru many tough periods when I return to rebuild in the following months

I suspect that ECP , the Artists & Celebrity will recreate the same magic for guests on their 2021 sailings that had their 2020 charter cancelled and that guests will appreciate the Artists & Music even more and appreciate the closeness and bonding between fans and the artists that only a full charter music cruise can provide 

• Like 2

OK -- so, what we're hearing from ECP is that, in the time slot vacated by (canceling) the Blue Note at Sea (Jan 23-30, 2021) -- there will be a 'make-up' Smooth Jazz cruise (re-named the SJC 'all-stars') cruise. Should be the same line-up as was planned for the canceled SJC 20.2, per Michael Lazaroff. Looks like ECP's first order of business will be taking care of the folks who have canceled cruises (both the SJC 20.2 and the BNAC '21). After that, I'm assuming that the cruise will be offered for booking by the general public (at some point in the future). We're definitely onboard for it -- and very impressed by the Herculean effort, on the part of Mr. Lazaroff and his ECP crew, to make this a reality!

Hattack -- will try to keep you posted on this, as things develop -- would LOVE to see you onboard! In the meantime, how are you guys doing down there, in NOLA? Stay safe, my friend!

thanks for thinking of us in both respects.and keeping in Your Prayers ..would love to join you on one of the 2021 SJC sailings and will also be monitoring what Dave Koz folks are going to do since their June 2020 charters have been "rescheduled " 

New Orleans Health Care System has never recovered from Katrina which has presented more challenges compounded by the fact that New Orleans is a service base economy so we are being hammered like a 1-2 knockout punch...the "good news: ( if one can call it that) is that upon taking office in 2016 our Democratic Gov signed on for the expansion of Medicade which means 450K or our most vulnerable citizens have access to a Health Care System ..my former neighbor is a Respitatory Therapist who is on the front lines of this Public Health Crisis , so if I'm lucky she will accept my invitation to join us next January ..she has never cruised nor been exposed to Smooth Jazz 

French Quarter Festival, Jazz Fest & Essence Festival have been rescheduled for the Fall (maybe) ..all the weekend Food & Music Festivals have been cancelled thru the near future which is a huge blow to non profits who count on sales from booths for 90% of their yearly budgets ..Traditional New Orleans 2nd Lines have been banned 

however the Spirit is upbeat based upon if we survived  Hurricanes Katrina  &Issac , FN 1 Tornadoes and the great 100 year Flood we can survive this 

sheltering in place is made easier by listening to Smooth Jazz and reading and working on my project about America's 1st Black Professional Sports Heroes in the Post Reconstruction Jim Crow Era (1865-1930) and the difference in how they were ignored  by the mainstream media ..lagniappe there is a link to the music of Cab Calloway 

WWCruiser..Brian Culbertson has just reschedule his 2020 Tour for 2021 and he will be in Portland OR on June 6th ..he is still hesitating to pull the plug on both his Napa Jazz Getaway in June and Chicago Jazz Getaway in September (which will probably come shortly ) so it may be an opportunity for your DH to treat you for 2021 

Thanks, Hattack!  As things stand right now, just being able to leave the house -- to go see our local jazz quintet at our favorite Italian restaurant -- is the biggest 'treat' that I can dream of! 😏

But we WILL all get through this -- and there will be concerts and cruises aplenty, to look forward to!😎

I'm sure you are right..after all Your DH & I have an appointment to have lunch with Candy Dulfer on a full day at sea and discuss how the great 70's Funk Brass Bands have influenced her Playing style 

lesson learned is life & one's health can turn on a dime so no longer put off in the future what with a stretch you can do in 2021 & 2022 

amazing Man, Father, Musician...He had a weekly Friday Night engagement at Snug Harbor and of course would perform with his Sons at Jazz Fest every year 

Tradition would call for a New Orleans Traditional 2nd Line to celebrate his life ..with the curfew in place and the number of notable Passing of New Orleans standouts, it will be interesting to see how the City will honor our traditions 

Bill Withers RIP...how I discovered Grover Washington Jr (Just the 2 of Us)

I suspect ECP will do a special tribute on board both their  2021 Jazz & Smooth Jazz cruises to honor the artists we have lost due to this  Public Health Crisis 

I will dig out my Bill Withers CD's from my collection and play this evening 

Hattack, I think that, once this is finally over, there will be a Second Line in New Orleans -- the likes of which has never been seen! And yes -- I also was sad to hear of Bill Withers' passing. I remember hearing his music, when I was younger. But I developed a new appreciation for the depth of his talents recently, when he was inducted into the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame. 

Oh -- and AMEN on the SJC tributes to fallen comrades, on next year's cruises!

I was chatting this evening with one of my Capital Jazz Super Cruise buddies (we have done 7 in a row from 2009 -2016) and we have incredible memories of close  brief interactions with George Duke, Chuck Brown, Teena Marie on the cruise and the following year they Passed which made the news about their Passing that much harder to hear yet feeling so Blessed of the time we did share in that unique environment ..we have photos together with almost every artist (both featured and back up artists ) on every Smooth Jazz Cruise since 2003 along with their signed CD's and the official t-shirt and signed poster from every cruise 

which makes it even more special 

it's time like these that we all who partake in these Smooth Jazz Charters appreciate these opportunities 

Hattack -- our collection of pictures, music, and memories of past cruises will surely help us to get through the trying times ahead! Since my DH and I started cruising, I've done a combo scrap-book & photo album for pretty much every cruise. Let me tell you that those -- plus all of our 'digital' photos -- have been a great source of solace and encouragement, lately! It's also fun to go to the SJC web-page photo gallery of recent cruises -- and try to spot ourselves in the crowd! 😁

we were trying to think if over the years if there was a particular Artist or Performance that stood out more than the others and came to the conclusion that it was actually the  midnight all star jam sessions that were the most memorable ..one year Charlie Wilson performed his show on  the lido deck under the stars and then joined the midnight all star jam session  in a packed to the wall main showroom that went until 0300 am...our group consisting of 12 couples were walking back to our cabin and the men decided to go back to the rear of the Lido Deck to get slices of pizza's and gave our cameras to the women and promised we would not be long and bring them a slice...as we were waiting in line Charlie Wilson's back up dancers were behind us and of course we invited them to join us which they were nice enough to accept...we lost track of time until we happen to look up to see our Wives and GF's who were "worried" that we might have been thrown overboard (once they saw we thought we might be by them )...we took a group photo with my camera and I had the photo blown up and placed on a stretched canvas frame for each of my partners for a keepsake ..I share that memory with you so when your DH & I go for Pizza after the midnight jam session and Candy Dulfer just "happens" to be in line , we may be a bit tardy getting back to our cabin and the slice of pizza may be cold but your DH will have a stretch canvas photo of us with Candy that he can share the tale...fyi...2nd place goes to the 1st time we saw Take 6 perform...awesome

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

wwcruiser ....still have not pulled the plug to book 2021 Smooth Jazz Cruise (or Dave Koz Cruise) but advise your DH that my former neighbor who has never been on a Cruise, less alone a Smooth Jazz Cruise (and does not even know if she likes Smooth Jazz) is a Respiratory Therapist on the front lines in my Parish (St John the Baptist ) which is the epicenter of CV 19 that you have been seeing on the national news ( please keep her in your Prayers ) 

I had a friend who makes mask for RN's  to customize a 6 pack for her with Smooth Jazz  instrument symbols on the front, along with a mix tape of the artists on the 2021 Smooth Jazz All Star Cruise that you are booked on along with an invitation to join me and will drop it off at her hospital tomorrow along with a card that I will keep her in my Prayers and thanks for being a 1st Responder 

I don't expect to hear  a response from her until after this CV 19 has passed (which I'm thinking will be a while ) but if she accepts please give your DH a Father;s Day Gift of a Spirometer ( 5 color balls model ) which is a deep breathing exercise designed to keep all 5 balls afloat for as long as he can with one deep breath ..he can practice listening to Candy Dulfer's CD playing Pick Up the Pieces 

that way when we see Candy onboard we can give her a demonstration on how her music has theraputic value and we can write off the cruise as a medical deduction on our taxes ...lol

was bored today so I was looking at photos from my past Smooth Jazz Cruises and missed that closeness with the artists and our fellow cruisers many of whom have become life long friends ..looking forward to getting back on the water..I figure that Medical 1st Responders are the new Rock Stars much like Police and Firemen after Katrina and 911 ...if we are lucky, won;t have to buy a drink 

stay safe, waiting to receive Boney James new CD from Amazon 

a Smooth Jazz cruise next year 

• 1 month later...

add Dave Koz  & Rick Braun to the Jazz Cruise list and Brian Culbertson & Earl Klugh Jazz Get-A-Way Weekends to the list ...I suspect in the scramble to find available weeks, for 2022, some charters will be pushed back to 2023 but booked guests will roll with the flow and not cancel 

Cruising & Jazz together is a very powerful form of Therapy to help get us thru turbulent times

Rick Braun River Cruise has rescheduled for Aug. 2022.  There are open cabins for the 2021 voyage (featuring Dave Koz, Jeffrey Osborne) as well as a couple cabins open for the 2022 voyage. "Music makes the Magic in my Soul"

Yep -- we got the news today that our 20.2 SJC/21BNAC/21'all stars' cruise was just pushed back to Jan. 21-28, 2022. Sounds like Lazaroff & Co. are on top of things, though -- so, we are still 'onboard'. Considering the fact that music charters in no way lend themselves to 'social distancing', I wasn't quite sure HOW they were going to pull this off, by early next year. I'm thinking that we need to pray hard for a working vaccine -- and this, at least, buys us a little time for that to happen!

Will keep you guys posted on what I hear.

if it helps PBS has been showing most of the really popular Ken Burns Documentary including Jazz and the American Experience on Woodstock...they also are showing their Pledge Month popular Music Series which is a small substitute for being on the different Music Theme Charters ( Flower Power, Malt Shop Memories, Do Wop, Country , 70's & 80's, Gospel , Soul Train etc)

The various versions of the full charter Smooth Jazz Cruises brings together cruisers of all races and backgrounds sharing a week of our common passion the love of the music and closeness to the artists that produce the music 

after everything that we have been going thru this year, we will really appreciate when we can get together in 2022 hopefully with all having the Vaccine and a greater appreciation of the closeness of the interaction with each other and our favorite artists