Calling all jazz cruisers

wwcruisers

The scuttlebut on the Smooth Jazz FB discussion group is that people who called ECP today were told Celebrity agreed to the cancellation and everyone will get an email tomorrow. I did not call so I can't verify that claim.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NinS said:

The scuttlebut on the Smooth Jazz FB discussion group is that people who called ECP today were told Celebrity agreed to the cancellation and everyone will get an email tomorrow. I did not call so I can't verify that claim.

Very, very interesting.  Thanks for sharing and please keep us posted.

So it's confirmed 🤥

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO GUESTS

ON OUR '22 PROGRAMS

BIG PICTURE

The CDC has declared it is unsafe to cruise regardless of your vaccination status.

There continues to be a nationwide rise in COVID-19 transmission rates and reported infections on cruise ships.

In response, Jazz Cruises has cancelled its programs scheduled for January '22.

’22 Guests may elect to receive a refund, apply their ’22 payments to an existing ’23 reservation or complete a ’23 reservation now.

PERSONAL NOTE

" For more than 21 years Jazz Cruises has presented the highest quality cruise programs earning its reputation as the Gold Standard of Jazz At Sea. The decision not to sail will be a financial hardship for Jazz Cruises, one that could have been avoided by sailing. However, given CDC's unequivocal warning as to the risks of sailing regardless of one's vaccination status, nothing we can do will make our guests feel safe, nor help us produce cruise programs that guarantee their maximum enjoyment. For those and the other reasons stated above, Jazz Cruises will not sail in ’22, but is looking forward to a great ’23 season."

—Michael Lazaroff, Executive Director of Jazz Cruises

• Thanks 1

Yep -- it's official -- all 4 of the '22 Jazz Cruises are cancelled. Looks like we'll be able to transfer credit for our 'Back to Sea' cruise to our existing '23 Blue Note at Sea cruise booking. Fingers crossed that next years' cruises happen!

• Like 1

Oh, and a heads-up to anyone thinking of booking a 2023 Jazz Cruise, Smooth Jazz Cruise, or Blue Note at Sea sailing. You might want to book those as soon as possible. They were already selling better than expected. And now, those displaced '22 jazz cruisers (four sailings, total) are being given the option of transferring their bookings to one of the 2023 cruises. So, I think that they are going to book-up fast! Fortunately, we already had a '23 Blue Note at Sea booking, where we can transfer our cruise credit (for this canceled cruise). And, thank goodness that we're not scrambling to find a cabin that we'd like -- since we booked early. 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Today's Smooth Jazz Cruise announcement from Jazz Cruises makes the January 2024 schedule look tolerably clear. There was a hole in Celebrity Summit's schedule from 18 January to 15 February 2024. I suspect that it will now look like this:

• 18 - 25 January: The Jazz Cruise (a guess)
  • 25 Jan - 1 Feb: Smooth Jazz Cruise 24.1 (confirmed)
  • 1 - 8 February: Smooth Jazz Cruise 24.2 (confirmed)
  • 8 - 15 February: Botti at Sea (confirmed)

And as there is no space in the hole for Blue Note at Sea, I suspect that this may be being retired/paused/rested.

Hmm... where does the '24 Blue Note at Sea fit into that lineup? Not really sure about it being retired, as this upcoming line-up (Jan '23) is lights-out: Chris Botti and Sheila E. Well, unless the new Chris Botti cruise is taking that slot permanently. Will have to watch for updates from Michael Lazaroff...

Edited by wwcruisers

14 hours ago, wwcruisers said:

Hmm... where does the '24 Blue Note at Sea fit into that lineup? Not really sure about it being retired, as this upcoming line-up (Jan '23) is lights-out: Chris Botti and Sheila E. Well, unless the new Chris Botti cruise is taking that slot permanently.

The facts that The Jazz Cruise has always sold better than Blue Note, Chris Botti is on Blue Note in 2023, and the charter "hole" in the ship's diary is exactly four weeks, were what led me to the guess that Botti at Sea is going to be a replacement for Blue Note, at least in 2024.

It seemed unlikely that the remaining unannounced week would be Blue Note and not The Jazz Cruise, and also unlikely that The Jazz Cruise would take a standalone slot at some other time. What is a bit odd is that you can't do The Jazz Cruise and Botti together, but presumably Michael knows his "contemporary jazz" market better than I do!

On 9/16/2022 at 12:26 AM, Globaliser said:
  • 18 - 25 January [2024]: The Jazz Cruise (a guess)

This now looks confirmed, judging by today's email, even though it won't be formally announced until about Thanksgiving (2022).

The email gives no date for a Blue Note in 2024.

On 8/4/2021 at 4:36 PM, TuggleRN said:

Since it's been awhile since anyone has posted, I hope everyone is safe and sound...

Just wondering if anyone going on the Smooth Jazz cruise "Back to Sea" sailing in Jan?  🎷🎷🎶

Hello - we are on the SJC #1 Jan 20-27 2023 - we did Dave Koz cruise last year just because there were Covid cancellations (Amsterdam to British Isles - fabulous). Can't get on this year because it sold out even before we sailed in 2021!  We can't wait for this SJC (We did the Blue Note some years back - excellent for me but a bit too abstract for my DH.) See you on board!

On 9/24/2022 at 6:22 AM, Globaliser said:

This now looks confirmed, judging by today's email, even though it won't be formally announced until about Thanksgiving (2022).

The email gives no date for a Blue Note in 2024.

Yep, my DH e-mailed the Jazz Cruise folks and they confirmed that the Blue Note was D/C'ed, as of next year -- with the Chris Botti cruise taking its slot.

On 10/8/2022 at 6:25 AM, Globaliser said:

It seems like some possible good news may yet come. Today's email says that Blue Note "will not sail in the January-February window, but a fall sailing from the West Coast is being considered". So I suppose it's a case of watching this space.

Glabaliser, you beat me to the punch, lol!

This is great news for those of us who live on the 'left coast'! I would urge anyone who thinks that this would be a good cruise to please contact Michael Lazaroff at Jazz Cruises LLC, and give him your feedback! (Per CC rules, can't post a link to the website, but Google's your friend!😉)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/12/2022 at 4:10 PM, wwcruisers said:

Glabaliser, you beat me to the punch, lol!

This is great news for those of us who live on the 'left coast'! I would urge anyone who thinks that this would be a good cruise to please contact Michael Lazaroff at Jazz Cruises LLC, and give him your feedback! (Per CC rules, can't post a link to the website, but Google's your friend!😉)

I emailed a suggestion to Michael to consider a sail from SFO to the Hawaiian islands; included in the itinerary would be jazz ukulele musicians of which there are some who are notable. Such an advantage for us west coasters not to take at a minimum five and a half hour flight to FLL. The fee for the cruise may go up, however we will save thousands on airfare, hotels and transfers. In addition having many sea days to and from the Pacific islands will provide more music to enjoy. While the music is most important the Caribbean ports are no longer interesting. Our turn to sail from here! 

Those from other countries may enjoy a change of venue too.

Edited by rtdiva

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...