X in British Isles - Shuttles to City Centres Available?

homeofthehound

We will be taking a British Isles cruise in August. I am learning that some ports are at a considerable distance to the respective city centres (for example Cobh to Cork, Invergodon to Inverness, Dublin, etc.). Does Celebrity usually have their own shuttles to get passengers into these locations (not a shore tour excursion but just a shuttle bus system) that you can pick up on the day? I have been on other cruise lines that do this in other locations and it is very helpful, quick and reliable. Hoping Celebrity might do the same? Thanks in advance.

Are you stopping in greenock if so I can help give advice on where to go and how to get there.  Main advise would be not to spend ANY time in greenock port itself. Even a 5 -15 min taxi could get you to nicer place / lovely views.

Edited by fragilek

1 hour ago, homeofthehound said:

We will be taking a British Isles cruise in August. I am learning that some ports are at a considerable distance to the respective city centres (for example Cobh to Cork, Invergodon to Inverness, Dublin, etc.). Does Celebrity usually have their own shuttles to get passengers into these locations (not a shore tour excursion but just a shuttle bus system) that you can pick up on the day? I have been on other cruise lines that do this in other locations and it is very helpful, quick and reliable. Hoping Celebrity might do the same? Thanks in advance.

Yes they had shuttles 8n Dubl8n and Belfast. I th8nk it's around $10-15. In Cork there is a train. 15 euro return trip.

If Liverpool is on the itinerary then you are right near the Pier Head within walking distance of many of the attractions. There is also the HOHO bus. The sail into Liverpool is lovely too and when we did this trip we had the most wonderful send off from the dockside when we left.

The train in Cork is right by the ship docking so no problems there. My friend collected us at Greenock and we drove westwards along the coast to the best ice cream parlour in the area 🙂 If you are going to Amsterdam the ship docks centrally and again things are within walking distance. Le Havre - I hired a car and am sorry I can't remember if Celebrity put on a shuttle. We also stopped at Cherbourg and again it was walking distance to the town. 

If I can be of any help re Liverpool.... just give me a shout as I live only 17 miles away and know it well. 

57 minutes ago, HelenREMfan said:

If Liverpool is on the itinerary then you are right near the Pier Head within walking distance of many of the attractions. There is also the HOHO bus. The sail into Liverpool is lovely too and when we did this trip we had the most wonderful send off from the dockside when we left.

The train in Cork is right by the ship docking so no problems there. My friend collected us at Greenock and we drove westwards along the coast to the best ice cream parlour in the area 🙂 If you are going to Amsterdam the ship docks centrally and again things are within walking distance. Le Havre - I hired a car and am sorry I can't remember if Celebrity put on a shuttle. We also stopped at Cherbourg and again it was walking distance to the town. 

If I can be of any help re Liverpool.... just give me a shout as I live only 17 miles away and know it well. 

I assume he took you to Largs - were I am from !! You would have sailed past my house 

20170717_212125.jpg

20170718_125951.jpg

1 minute ago, fragilek said:

I assume he took you to Largs - were I am from !! You would have sailed past my house imageproxy.php?img=&key=b5ec9cff05c76377

20170717_212125.jpg

20170718_125951.jpg

OOOH how lovely ...it was Nardini's we went to. My friend is a committed Glaswegian having been at Glasgow Uni til she married and then spent her teaching life in England. However she left all that to return to her beloved Glasgow. She was an excellent guide showing her passion for her Scottish roots everywhere we went. The scenery was wonderful and has tempted us to go back up one of these days....alas I don't like the drive but the train journey is great from the North west to Glasgow. 

1 minute ago, HelenREMfan said:

OOOH how lovely ...it was Nardini's we went to. My friend is a committed Glaswegian having been at Glasgow Uni til she married and then spent her teaching life in England. However she left all that to return to her beloved Glasgow. She was an excellent guide showing her passion for her Scottish roots everywhere we went. The scenery was wonderful and has tempted us to go back up one of these days....alas I don't like the drive but the train journey is great from the North west to Glasgow. 

Did the same we graduated from glasgow and stayed in Kent for 15 yrs before returning to put our girls through secondary school up here.  They have both now graduated from glasgow uni too (the youngest yesterday)

2 minutes ago, fragilek said:
8 minutes ago, fragilek said:

Did the same we graduated from glasgow and stayed in Kent for 15 yrs before returning to put our girls through secondary school up here.  They have both now graduated from glasgow uni too (the youngest yesterday)

Oh congratulations....it is such a relief when they finish Uni !! Mine went one to Cardiff then the other 6 years later to Newcastle.... opposite ends of the country 

23 hours ago, fragilek said:

Are you stopping in greenock if so I can help give advice on where to go and how to get there.  Main advise would be not to spend ANY time in greenock port itself. Even a 5 -15 min taxi could get you to nicer place / lovely views.

Thank you Fragilek - we do stop in Greenock however that is one port that we have an all day excursion booked to Edinburgh. We are supposed to return to the ship around 5:00pm and our ship doesn't leave until midnight, would you recommend anywhere special to visit in the evening hours that is close by and easy to return from by taxi etc. (I always worry about ease of returning to the ship if we take a taxi to a location). We would have loved to go to Glengoyne or another local distillery but I don't think that is feasible in the evening hours correct?

16 hours ago, HelenREMfan said:

Thank you HelenREMfan - Liverpool is one of our stops but that is one location that I don't have any concerns with..... My parents are from there and I have been back a few times over the years, although my last trip was quite some time ago. I am excited to see how it has all changed!! My plan was to take the HOHO and then spend the afternoon just wandering to Matthew, Lord, Church, Pier Head, etc. Appreciate your offer to help though! Cheers.

8 hours ago, homeofthehound said:

Thank you Fragilek - we do stop in Greenock however that is one port that we have an all day excursion booked to Edinburgh. We are supposed to return to the ship around 5:00pm and our ship doesn't leave until midnight, would you recommend anywhere special to visit in the evening hours that is close by and easy to return from by taxi etc. (I always worry about ease of returning to the ship if we take a taxi to a location). We would have loved to go to Glengoyne or another local distillery but I don't think that is feasible in the evening hours correct?

Have you been in Scotland before?  The west coast - where the ship moored is the most scenic part of Scotand and some place you can visit are stunningly beautiful, including Loch Lomond (photo 1), over the short crossing to Cowel and up to Inveraray (photo2 &3) (I realise you are not doing this but adding in in case some one does a search in the future) .

The next lot of photos are from near(ish) the ship 

1. Largs 40 max in taxi - famous for ice cream  (photo4)

2 Seamill 1hr away nice view of arran and nice stop in Largs on route (photo5)

3. Lyle hill  (photo s 6, 7 &8) overlooks the port where use ship is about less 5 mins by taxi worth a look at the view to see some real Scottish scenery (all be it in the distance)  if you are spending the day in  Edinburgh 

lochlom.jpg

iver3.jpg

invercast2.jpg

largs1.jpg

seamil2.jpg

lyle3.jpg

lyle2.jpg

lyle1.jpg

Edited by fragilek
sp

Someone already mentioned Dublin.  We were also able to take ship sponsered shuttles for Inverness and Glasgow.  But that was a few years back so things might have changed.  Can't say for other places because we had group tours.  

17 hours ago, homeofthehound said:

Thank you HelenREMfan - Liverpool is one of our stops but that is one location that I don't have any concerns with..... My parents are from there and I have been back a few times over the years, although my last trip was quite some time ago. I am excited to see how it has all changed!! My plan was to take the HOHO and then spend the afternoon just wandering to Matthew, Lord, Church, Pier Head, etc. Appreciate your offer to help though! Cheers.

Do not imagine any distilleries open after 5 pm, Glasgow is a 35 minute train right into the centre and they are plentiful. Not much to see or do in Greenock at night.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GerScot said:

Do not imagine any distilleries open after 5 pm, Glasgow is a 35 minute train right into the centre and they are plentiful. Not much to see or do in Greenock at night.

I will put it another way - best to stay on the ship in Greenock at night !! lol , or if back early evening take a run to Largs for icecream or inverkip marina for a drink .  If later just go up in taxi (or walk if fit) to top of lyle hill for those views.  Depending on the time of year summer it will be light for views until after 10pm and winter not worth going up after 3.30 pm 

23 hours ago, homeofthehound said:

My brother-in-law and I did the Glengoyne tour a few years ago. Amazing. Well worth doing! Don't drive!

1 minute ago, crazyman3 said:

My brother-in-law and I did the Glengoyne tour a few years ago. Amazing. Well worth doing! Don't drive!

A thought: you can go to Loch Lomond and enjoy Glengoyne on the same day!