Need help on Japan cruise ports, PLZ?!

DONNAKG

hello all!

Cruising on Diamond Princess Nov 21, 19. I have ideas on almost all the ports,

Tokyo, private guide,

Osaka, sky building and Castle,

Toba,   need help????how to get to pearl diver demo?or what else ??

Kochi-- ho ho bus?

Kagoshima - ho ho bus-volcano?

Busan - UN memorial , hoho bus?

Nagasaki- peace park by tram??

If anyone has any other ideas or comments and transportation advice , that would be great!!😀

thank you

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 12:37 PM, DONNAKG said:

hello all!

Cruising on Diamond Princess Nov 21, 19. I have ideas on almost all the ports,

Tokyo, private guide,

Osaka, sky building and Castle,

Toba,   need help????how to get to pearl diver demo?or what else ??

Kochi-- ho ho bus?

Kagoshima - ho ho bus-volcano?

Busan - UN memorial , hoho bus?

Nagasaki- peace park by tram??

If anyone has any other ideas or comments and transportation advice , that would be great!!😀

thank you

I will toss out a thought.  Have you considered going to Kyoto during your long day in Osaka?  Unfortunately, cruisers with a single day in Osaka have to make a decision between Osaka and Kyoto since it is nearly impossible to have quality time in both places in such a short period of time.  My vote would be for Kyoto although I would assume others might disagree.  We are wrestling with similar issues since we have a cruise booked out of Yokohama next April.  Our own thinking is that we will fly-in to Japan 1-2 weeks prior to the cruise and likely spend 3-4 nights in Kyoto.  When I lived in Japan (a very long time ago) Kyoto and nearby Nara were considered (by many) the places not to be missed.  I will look forward to hearing from others on the topic :).

Hank

On 6/20/2019 at 7:27 AM, Hlitner said:

I will toss out a thought.  Have you considered going to Kyoto during your long day in Osaka?  Unfortunately, cruisers with a single day in Osaka have to make a decision between Osaka and Kyoto since it is nearly impossible to have quality time in both places in such a short period of time.  My vote would be for Kyoto although I would assume others might disagree.  We are wrestling with similar issues since we have a cruise booked out of Yokohama next April.  Our own thinking is that we will fly-in to Japan 1-2 weeks prior to the cruise and likely spend 3-4 nights in Kyoto.  When I lived in Japan (a very long time ago) Kyoto and nearby Nara were considered (by many) the places not to be missed.  I will look forward to hearing from others on the topic :).

Hank

On our first Japan trip, we flew into Osaka, airlink bus to Kyoto and spent 6 days there... We sent our luggage onto our next hotel in Tokyo and took the bullet train to Tokyo for another 5 nights.  (the hotels do this regularly, purolate/fed-ex luggage - they will ask for your hotel, call to confirm you have reservation - and complete forms and insert them into plastic luggage tag holders - our luggage was delivered to our hotel room).

I agree with Hank that Kyoto and  nearby Nara deserve more than a quick whirlwind visit.  We also were able to visit Fushimi Inari shrine (famous for the long tunnel of Tori gates) and Arishayama (well known for its bamboo forest) independently with public transportation.  the walk along the philosopher’s path in Kyoto is wonderful, as the canal is lined with cherry blossoms. Nara makes for a nice DIY trip from Kyoto.   Also, if you have time, take in one act of a kabuki performance - the costumes are amazing, and you can rent an English translator device -it advance/scrolls automatically in perfect sync with the play/act being shown.    

Nagasaki, perfectly doable to visit Spectacle bridge, Peace park, Peace museum by tram... However, be prepared for the tram to be filled to the gills, and be packed in like sardines,  

As to Osaka,  we have spent several days on different trips - visited the castle, various shrines and temples...There is a great walking tour which takes you to some interesting spots you probably would not know, we found it interesting,  If you are there during the first 2 weeks of April, the Japan Mint opens it gardens to cherry blossom viewing for one week only - they have several hundred trees, some are very rare, and the whole garden is awash with sakura blooms.   Free to enter and easily accessible from the cruise port, using the green Chuo line and then transfer for 1-2 stops possibly on the purple line,    Signs with pink arrows will direct traffic to the Mint sakura display.

Hope this helps....  

Edited by CJcruzer

We have done two Japan cruises and enjoyed both of them immensely. And we have already booked a third...

Our first cruise was on Millennium from Tokyo to Shanghai. Our second on HAL Westerdam circumnavigating Japan. Both itineraries were good.

Here´s more about it and information on the different ports:

Millennium 

http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Celebrity-Millennium-Japan/celebrity-millennium-japan.html

or Westerdam

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:42 PM, CJcruzer said:

On our first Japan trip, we flew into Osaka, airlink bus to Kyoto and spent 6 days there... We sent our luggage onto our next hotel in Tokyo and took the bullet train to Tokyo for another 5 nights.  (the hotels do this regularly, purolate/fed-ex luggage - they will ask for your hotel, call to confirm you have reservation - and complete forms and insert them into plastic luggage tag holders - our luggage was delivered to our hotel room).

I agree with Hank that Kyoto and  nearby Nara deserve more than a quick whirlwind visit.  We also were able to visit Fushimi Inari shrine (famous for the long tunnel of Tori gates) and Arishayama (well known for its bamboo forest) independently with public transportation.  the walk along the philosopher’s path in Kyoto is wonderful, as the canal is lined with cherry blossoms. Nara makes for a nice DIY trip from Kyoto.   Also, if you have time, take in one act of a kabuki performance - the costumes are amazing, and you can rent an English translator device -it advance/scrolls automatically in perfect sync with the play/act being shown.    

Nagasaki, perfectly doable to visit Spectacle bridge, Peace park, Peace museum by tram... However, be prepared for the tram to be filled to the gills, and be packed in like sardines,  

As to Osaka,  we have spent several days on different trips - visited the castle, various shrines and temples...There is a great walking tour which takes you to some interesting spots you probably would not know, we found it interesting,  If you are there during the first 2 weeks of April, the Japan Mint opens it gardens to cherry blossom viewing for one week only - they have several hundred trees, some are very rare, and the whole garden is awash with sakura blooms.   Free to enter and easily accessible from the cruise port, using the green Chuo line and then transfer for 1-2 stops possibly on the purple line,    Signs with pink arrows will direct traffic to the Mint sakura display.

Hope this helps....  

Another interesting place to see in Nagasaki- penguin aquarium. 

On 6/24/2019 at 1:01 PM, Miaminice said:

We have done two Japan cruises and enjoyed both of them immensely. And we have already booked a third...

Our first cruise was on Millennium from Tokyo to Shanghai. Our second on HAL Westerdam circumnavigating Japan. Both itineraries were good.

Here´s more about it and information on the different ports:

Millennium 

http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Celebrity-Millennium-Japan/celebrity-millennium-japan.html

or Westerdam

I loved your reviews and pictures. Thank you very much for it!

We'll be sure using some of your tips on our upcoming Japan cruise next December.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Kochi:

We loved this port. The actual port facility is outside the city and outside the tsunami berm. I am not sure how to get to the city by public transport or hoho bus because we had booked an excursion through the ship that took us to the downtown castle and a view point at the cost. If your ship offers a shuttle bus into downtown, you can explore Kochi on your own.