Which Walks of Italy Colosseum tour

MNcruisingcouple

We will be in Rome the end of August and want to do a Colosseum tour with Walks of Italy. 

Does anyone have recommendations on which one to choose?  We have it narrowed down to Premium Colosseum Tour with Roman Forum and Palatine Hill 3 hours $65,  VIP Underground Colosseum Tour with Roman Forum and Palatine Hill 3 hours 45 mins $110, or Gladiator's Gate: Special Access Colosseum Tour with Arena Floor (also includes Roman Forum and Palatine Hill) 3 hours $66.

Any insight on pros and cons of these tours and value/price would be appreciated.  

Thanks for your help.

We did the first of the 3 you mentioned for $65. 

Our guide was great—Federicka.  She was very informative and enthusiastic.  This tour was at least 3 hours of walking up and down hills and steps.  It was more than enough for us. 

We did bundle touring with Walks of Italy and all 3 tours with them were excellent. 

Rome can be very hot and the Forum is in full sun, so any of these combo tours may be a stress on your system unless there's a nice break in between to sit in the shade and have a cool drink or gelato.  You need a guided tour for the Colosseum (to get access to the unusual areas), but you can buy them from Coopculture.it

We did their Colosseum, Underground and Third Ring tour for only 11 Euros per person in 2016.  Then you can do the Roman Forum on your own [or better, with the Rick Steves guidebook in hand].

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Rome can be very hot and the Forum is in full sun, so any of these combo tours may be a stress on your system unless there's a nice break in between to sit in the shade and have a cool drink or gelato.  You need a guided tour for the Colosseum (to get access to the unusual areas), but you can buy them from Coopculture.it

We did their Colosseum, Underground and Third Ring tour for only 11 Euros per person in 2016.  Then you can do the Roman Forum on your own [or better, with the Rick Steves guidebook in hand].

The list of tours on coopculture.it is confusing to me.  Do all the tours include guides?

Also the Forum seems overwhelming.  I feel like a guide would be helpful.

Thanks for your suggestions.

25 minutes ago, MNcruisingcouple said:

The list of tours on coopculture.it is confusing to me.  Do all the tours include guides?

I took a look at all 3 tours, and here's my takeaway:

Premium Colosseum Tour with Roman Forum & Palatine Hill:  Avoids the long queues. Small group. Takes you to the 'basic' levels of the Colosseum (which is fine for most), gives you an orientation to all three of these related sites and covers a lot of ground in three hours.

VIP Underground Colosseum Tour with Roman Forum and Palatine Hill:  All of the above plus the Underground level of the Colosseum, which has limited access. Longer by 45 minutes. The Underground is where the 'props' (scenery, animal cages) were kept for the games in the Colosseum and possibly where the gladiators awaited their turn. On the minus side, it's not that well preserved so hopefully your guide can paint the picture for you....

Gladiator's Gate: Special Access Colosseum Tour with Arena Floor (also includes Roman Forum and Palatine Hill):  Same length as first tour but more people. In addition to what's included in the Premium Tour, you get to stand at the arena-level in the Colosseum, which seems more interesting to me than the underground tour, and you get to enter through a special gate. Everything else is the same as the first tour.

It's really a personal choice. The 'Underground' level has been the tourists' darling for the last several years but it's never been a big favorite of mine. You see and understand far more from the upper levels looking down than from the lower level looking up, and as mentioned, the level itself is not well preserved (and is prone to flooding, although I think that problem has been addressed). However, if this is your main interest and main site you plan to see, then perhaps you want to do the whole thing....!  

Edited to add: All three of the tours are guided.

Edited by cruisemom42

6 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Premium Colosseum Tour with Roman Forum & Palatine Hill:  Avoids the long queues. Small group. Takes you to the 'basic' levels of the Colosseum (which is fine for most), gives you an orientation to all three of these related sites and covers a lot of ground in three hours.

VIP Underground Colosseum Tour with Roman Forum and Palatine Hill:  All of the above plus the Underground level of the Colosseum, which has limited access. Longer by 45 minutes. The Underground is where the 'props' (scenery, animal cages) were kept for the games in the Colosseum and possibly where the gladiators awaited their turn. On the minus side, it's not that well preserved so hopefully your guide can paint the picture for you....

Gladiator's Gate: Special Access Colosseum Tour with Arena Floor (also includes Roman Forum and Palatine Hill):  Same length as first tour but more people. In addition to what's included in the Premium Tour, you get to stand at the arena-level in the Colosseum, which seems more interesting to me than the underground tour, and you get to enter through a special gate. Everything else is the same as the first tour.

It's really a personal choice. The 'Underground' level has been the tourists' darling for the last several years but it's never been a big favorite of mine. You see and understand far more from the upper levels looking down than from the lower level looking up, and as mentioned, the level itself is not well preserved (and is prone to flooding, although I think that problem has been addressed). However, if this is your main interest and main site you plan to see, then perhaps you want to do the whole thing....!  

Thank you so much for your insight.

Do you think standing at the arena level is worth it for the group having more people?

1 minute ago, PelicanLvr said:

Just did the Walks of Italy VIP Coliseum Tour this March (2019). 

It was GREAT!  You see it all.  It's a few $$ more.....but, how many times will you be in the Coliseum.   

Book it and enjoy!

Did you feel like it was worth the extra money for the underground portion?  

47 minutes ago, MNcruisingcouple said:

We had done the basic colosseum tour on a previous visit, so I was really looking for the added features of the tour I mentioned.  The underground level is interesting (to me) because it shows the engineering that allowed them with only manual labor to raise up the lions etc. from the underground pens onto the main floor (where Christian 'lunch' awaited).  But the best part was the 'Third Ring' which gets you up to the top of the structure with great views of both the Colosseum and also the surrounding area of Rome [including a 'bird's eye view' of the Forum].

What seemed confusing was how to redeem our tickets from the internet printouts – but it was actually very easy.  You bypass the long line of people trying to buy tickets and go to a window for pre-purchased tours.  Then you walk a few yards (in the shade) to an archway where your tour will meet and sit on your choice of sarcophagi until the guide appears.  Then you're off!

Here are my blog notes of that tour:

The Coopculture Colosseum, Underground and Third Ring Tour was very interesting, as it took us out onto the reconstructed part of the arena floor and then down below to where the animals would have been kept before being put on elevators to bring them up to the arena level – we also saw a reconstructed elevator to show how they could manually raise heavy animals with a wooden screw mechanism [and strong slaves] – and finally to the top ring for great views of the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill.

As to the Roman Forum:

You should read Rick Steves Rome before your trip – even if you are getting guided tours.  It will help you decide if you have really chosen the top 3 attractions for you.  But also you may find [as I often do] that with Rick at your side you don't need a guide.  His 'Roman Forum Tour' [in the 2016 book that I happen to have] is 17 pages that walks you through the Forum from the entrance near the Colosseum to the exit at the Capitoline Hill and describes every feature along the way – you can either do it in depth, or just skim through the most interesting bits depending on how the August weather affects you.  [With a guide, you're in for a penny, in for a pound.]

Having done both these sites two times, this would be my recommendation.  CoopCulture Third Ring tour, break, Rick Steves walk through the Forum.  And those are the Top 2 Roman things in Rome.  Next on my list would be the Vatican – Sistine Chapel* and St. Peters.  After that interests will diverge – for me, the third thing would be the Borghese Gallery for the jaw-dropping Bernini sculptures, but your taste may differ [and frankly, I didn't rate it that highly until I saw it!]

* The Sistine Chapel also requires a tour, because it has gotten so crowded during the day.  I recommend one of the 'after hours' tours.  We did Dark Rome's Vatican By Night tour and enjoyed it, but other tours were coming in along with us so I'm not sure that this is necessarily the best.  St. Peter's is much easier to tour during the day because it is so big.

44 minutes ago, MNcruisingcouple said:

Thank you so much for your insight.

Do you think standing at the arena level is worth it for the group having more people?

The group with more people still isn't huge. I would probably choose that one, but then perhaps it seems more appealing to me as I've been to the Colosseum numerous times but have not gone in through that door. :classic_cool:

9 hours ago, MNcruisingcouple said:

Did you feel like it was worth the extra money for the underground portion?  

Yes, our group was alone in the underground (and floor) areas.  Really could get the feeling of how it was.  The "public areas" are mobbed with people., and that was low season in March.

Obviously, it a personal choice if it is worth the money.....to us it really was.

16 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We had done the basic colosseum tour on a previous visit, so I was really looking for the added features of the tour I mentioned.  The underground level is interesting (to me) because it shows the engineering that allowed them with only manual labor to raise up the lions etc. from the underground pens onto the main floor (where Christian 'lunch' awaited).  But the best part was the 'Third Ring' which gets you up to the top of the structure with great views of both the Colosseum and also the surrounding area of Rome [including a 'bird's eye view' of the Forum].

Thanks for sharing your extensive experience.  I'll look closer at the website and look specifically for the tour you mention.  Your recommendations for the Forum sound good, too.  I am concerned about the sun/heat in August.  I know it isn't the ideal time to go but, I have to work with it.  

16 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

What seemed confusing was how to redeem our tickets from the internet printouts – but it was actually very easy.  You bypass the long line of people trying to buy tickets and go to a window for pre-purchased tours.  Then you walk a few yards (in the shade) to an archway where your tour will meet and sit on your choice of sarcophagi until the guide appears.  Then you're off!

Here are my blog notes of that tour:

The Coopculture Colosseum, Underground and Third Ring Tour was very interesting, as it took us out onto the reconstructed part of the arena floor and then down below to where the animals would have been kept before being put on elevators to bring them up to the arena level – we also saw a reconstructed elevator to show how they could manually raise heavy animals with a wooden screw mechanism [and strong slaves] – and finally to the top ring for great views of the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill.

I don't know why the coopculture website is so confusing to me. I can't seem to find the tour you are talking about.  And the tours don't seem to have very good descriptions.  Also when I try to book the tour I found that includes a panoramic view, there are no dates to chose from??

I'm so confused and frustrated. 

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thanks for your help.  Unfortunately it looks like there is no availability for the day we are looking for.  

On 6/19/2019 at 11:00 AM, MNcruisingcouple said:

We will be in Rome the end of August and want to do a Colosseum tour with Walks of Italy. 

Does anyone have recommendations on which one to choose?  We have it narrowed down to Premium Colosseum Tour with Roman Forum and Palatine Hill 3 hours $65,  VIP Underground Colosseum Tour with Roman Forum and Palatine Hill 3 hours 45 mins $110, or Gladiator's Gate: Special Access Colosseum Tour with Arena Floor (also includes Roman Forum and Palatine Hill) 3 hours $66.

Any insight on pros and cons of these tours and value/price would be appreciated.  

Thanks for your help.

I did the gladiators gate tour a couple weeks ago and it was amazing!  Well worth the $66.  You enter through a back gate which I have to think was a much shorter line than in front. We did several tours with Walks of Italy and all of our guides were amazing so you can’t go wrong with any of the 3.  I do highly recommend a guide for the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill( which is included in all 3) It was more relaxing to hear stories about it than to try to read information.  They have individual headsets and the group was about 20 people and did not seem big at all.  Walks of Italy was amazing!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ksp819 said:

I did the gladiators gate tour a couple weeks ago and it was amazing!  Well worth the $66.  You enter through a back gate which I have to think was a much shorter line than in front. We did several tours with Walks of Italy and all of our guides were amazing so you can’t go wrong with any of the 3.  I do highly recommend a guide for the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill( which is included in all 3) It was more relaxing to hear stories about it than to try to read information.  They have individual headsets and the group was about 20 people and did not seem big at all.  Walks of Italy was amazing!

Thanks so much for your experience.  Likely that's the one we are going to chose.  

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 6:20 PM, cruisemom42 said:

We did the Gladiator's gate and were very pleased with this tour.  It was far more extensive than I thought it would be. We started on the ground floor, but then we were led to the main area on the third level I think. Very knowledgeable guide and very well organized tour. We are glad we did it.  very glad we did it.  

5 hours ago, clcmdse said:

We did the Gladiator's gate and were very pleased with this tour.  It was far more extensive than I thought it would be. We started on the ground floor, but then we were led to the main area on the third level I think. Very knowledgeable guide and very well organized tour. We are glad we did it.  very glad we did it.  

Thanks for the recommendation.  That's the tour we ended up booking.  We are looking forward to it.  How was the part of it that toured the Roman Forum?

18 hours ago, MNcruisingcouple said:

Thanks for the recommendation.  That's the tour we ended up booking.  We are looking forward to it.  How was the part of it that toured the Roman Forum?

I actually found the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill area more fascinating as far as the history and what went on there.  It could have been the enthusiasm of the guide and the fact I have been to the Colosseum before but I would definitely stick around for it.  

22 minutes ago, ksp819 said:

I actually found the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill area more fascinating as far as the history and what went on there.  It could have been the enthusiasm of the guide and the fact I have been to the Colosseum before but I would definitely stick around for it.  

Completely agree.  People know the Colosseum -- it's so iconic. But really the heart of Republican Rome was the Forum, and the heart of Imperial Rome was on Palatine Hill. I also find those areas much easier to interpret with a guide or a good guidebook. The Colosseum is a lot more self-explanatory.

On 6/21/2019 at 9:00 PM, ksp819 said:

Great info thank's. 

Not cruising until next year but I'm  taking notes.

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:35 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Completely agree.  People know the Colosseum -- it's so iconic. But really the heart of Republican Rome was the Forum, and the heart of Imperial Rome was on Palatine Hill. I also find those areas much easier to interpret with a guide or a good guidebook. The Colosseum is a lot more self-explanatory.

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:11 AM, ksp819 said:

Thank you both for your helpful experience.  The Forum/Palatine Hill area definitely seems overwhelming to do on my own.  We are really looking forward to this tour.