1st cruise with inside cabin and need help

24 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Which Celebrity ships are we talking about?  The S class ships have a dim nightlight in the bathroom that is always on if the lights have not been turned on.  there is also an outlet in the ceiling above the sink.  M class have permanent nightlights installed where the old hairdryers were on the bathroom wall.  So no need to pack a nightlight for the bathroom.  Haven't noted what Edge has.  We carry USB port multipliers and they have a little dot of light on them, enough to give us a nightlight in the cabin.  EM

So it's ok to take a multi use plug...we have one with USB and regular plugs...so yes that would give just a little. Not that I care about having a light in the cabin, just something small in the bathroom. We are cruising on the Summit. I have a small rechargeable light I might bring.

23 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

The light in bathroom has 2 settings. One is the main light and second is a small light that is perfect if you leave the bathroom door a bit open. Just perfect for not to break your legs on your way to the bathroom. 

That sounds good...thanks for the info.

2 hours ago, yorky said:

We have never minded inside cabins, Celebrity just don’t make them good value with no drinks package 

Celebrity changed their pricing structure so now a balcony cabin is not required to get the "free" perks.  Now it's all about whether or not your book a refundable or non-refundable fare.  We booked two refundable fares for interiors, and there is an upcharge for being refundable, but we also got to choose two free perks.  For us that meant the drink package and the $150 OBC each for two passengers.

Dan

3 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Celebrity changed their pricing structure so now a balcony cabin is not required to get the "free" perks.  Now it's all about whether or not your book a refundable or non-refundable fare.  We booked two refundable fares for interiors, and there is an upcharge for being refundable, but we also got to choose two free perks.  For us that meant the drink package and the $150 OBC each for two passengers.

Dan

Not in the UK. The perks are only for ocean view and above over here, nothing for an inside.

2 minutes ago, fragilek said:

Just checking that you know we can book the US offers through a USA TA and get there offers and OBC from the TA.  I have saved a lot doing this.

Sadly you can’t name US TA’s on here and without a strong recommendation I would not know which one to book. 

8 minutes ago, yorky said:

Sadly you can’t name US TA’s on here and without a strong recommendation I would not know which one to book. 

there is only one main thing to check and that is that they don't ever take your money and it gets paid directly to celebrity.  I just googled got the a few off the biggest then check them on the USA BBB site.  There is also a cruise compete site where you put in the cruise you are looking at and they send quotes.  these have the bbb rating and reviews.  That's what I am now using just google that phrase. 

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Dan

I looked all over some inside cabin cruises, anywhere from July through January, and I couldn't find one of them that give two free perks. I found some, in December, where no perks were available but most of them had the two perks available, for a fee in the $350-$400 p.p. range which is approximately 65% premium over the base price of the cruise without any free perks.

59 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I looked all over some inside cabin cruises, anywhere from July through January, and I couldn't find one of them that give two free perks. I found some, in December, where no perks were available but most of them had the two perks available, for a fee in the $350-$400 p.p. range which is approximately 65% premium over the base price of the cruise without any free perks.

You need to get all the way through the booking process to the point where you choose a refundable or non-refundable fare.  So you need to choose an interior cabin, and select the actual cabin number you want, and then the next screen is the option for non-refundable (with no perks), or refundable (with 2 perks).  The cost is higher for the refundable fare.  I don't see an option to choose refundable without the perks.

This is similar to how RCCL is doing fares (charging more for refundable), but with RCCL you don't even get the choice of perks with a refundable fare.

Here's a Nov '19 Equinox sailing for example:

image.thumb.png.7a5a476fbbafa3bb8d9e282e4e8da72b.png

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher

3 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

You need to get all the way through the booking process to the point where you choose a refundable or non-refundable fare.  So you need to choose an interior cabin, and select the actual cabin number you want, and then the next screen is the option for non-refundable (with no perks), or refundable (with 2 perks).  The cost is higher for the refundable fare.  I don't see an option to choose refundable without the perks.

This is similar to how RCCL is doing fares (charging more for refundable), but with RCCL you don't even get the choice of perks with a refundable fare.

Here's a Nov '19 Equinox sailing for example:

image.thumb.png.7a5a476fbbafa3bb8d9e282e4e8da72b.png

Dan

Just now, grandgeezer said:

I must not of picked this exact week, I just randomly picked weeks. There is a difference of $315 p.p. in your example. You don't really think the price difference is for a refundable deposit vs nonrefundable do you??

We booked an inside on celebrity summit January 14th 2020 online about a month ago. We prefer inside cabins because of the quiet atmosphere and the price. This week for an extra $30 I was able to add one perk and chose the unlimited wifi for 2. The other 2 were classic drink or gratuities paid. We had chosen the cheapest inside package originally. So we saved about $400. We were going to wait until November to buy internet which is when we turn elite but this was too good to pass up. We debated the drinks but honestly we are not big drinkers and the elite drinks will be enough for us.  We need wifi as we still work and honestly prefer not to turn off the world and like to keep up with current events.

Edited by jean87510

Just got off the Summit on June 16 - inside cabin on deck 2.  The newly renovated cabins have lighting under the cabinet in the bathroom (a few inches above the floor), so there is no need for a nightlight.  We always sleep with the TV on, so we could see our way around the cabin during the night.  We take an inside cabin on 95% of the 20+ Celebrity cruises we have taken.  We don’t book with free perks because they actually aren’t free - the price is higher. We had a balcony once and didn’t spend much time on it.  Would rather spend money on other things: excursions, gifts, souvenirs for grandkids, etc. - and more cruises.

57 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I must not of picked this exact week, I just randomly picked weeks. There is a difference of $315 p.p. in your example. You don't really think the price difference is for a refundable deposit vs nonrefundable do you??

No, the upcharge for refundable fare is only a portion of the $315.   In my situation, there is no way I will book a nonrefundable fare until at least I have my airfare chosen.  We are still around nine months from my cruise  so we have not booked airfare yet.

With the 2 perks that come along with the refundable fare, honestly I am OK with the up charge. One of the perks we choose is the $150 onboard credit per person. That $300 OBC covers the $203 in gratuities and still leaves around $100 of onboard credit play with.   The other perk we choose is the drink package.   So for that upcharge for the refundable fare, our gratuities are paid for plus we have $100 of onboard credit to play with, and we have the  drink package   In my experience, Royal Caribbean charges $100 or more for an inside cabin for booking a refundable fare but no perks 

Dan

We have sailed in Suites, Oceanviews, balconies, and inside cabins. Of course I liked the suites best. But if we go on more than one cruise a year which we usually do. Sometimes more. We don't always want to spend the money for an expensive cabin. Just want to be on the ship and have a nice break from work etc. We will be in an inside cabin in a few weeks sailing to Alaska. I don't like the air in the inside cabins. I feel like I can never get any fresh air in the cabin. Stuffy. Cruise ship air to me can feel like hospital air. Just not enough oxygen or something. Last time we got to our cabin and it was hot and stuffy. Even with the air on full blast. When the ship sailed it got better. Balconies are great for drying things. Wet beach towels, suits, shoes etc. I takes forever in the bathroom. The cabins although not that much smaller are enough smaller to feel really cramped. Like a closet. I always keep the TV on so it isn't completely dark in the cabin. Usually on the ship cam with the sound down overnight and if we are taking a nap. Oceanviews although better than insides, can be frustrating. The window is usually dirty from the start and gets dirtier by the day so you can hardly see out of it. Once on a 17 night S America cruise the window was dirty the whole time. We did get a little outside light though. So although we have an inside cabin which I hate. We will have fun, but not spend any more time than necessary in our cabin. Better than staying home. 

Edited by LovetheSea

There are no free perks.  If your fare includes perks, you are paying for them. I prefer no perks and a low fare. I also like to select how I spend my money. Booking an inside is a great move if you are trying to save money. It is priced low to attract possible bookings.  Smart cruisers never book more cabin than they really need. If you only use your cabin to sleep and shower, it makes good sense.  You still enjoy all the features of the ship. Have a good time.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

There are no free perks.  If your fare includes perks, you are paying for them. I prefer no perks and a low fare. I also like to select how I spend my money. Booking an inside is a great move if you are trying to save money. It is priced low to attract possible bookings.  Smart cruisers never book more cabin than they really need. If you only use your cabin to sleep and shower, it makes good sense.  You still enjoy all the features of the ship. Have a good time.

Perks aren’t  free.    If you are referring to my post, you will see that free is in quotes,  to say it’s not really free.    If you book a refundable fare you have no choice but to choose perks.  However , You can choose your perks wisely to more than offset the upcharge 

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher

When you book, there are several options shown, some with perks and some with no perks. My favorite is booking as a resident or senior. Those fares are usually lower and include no perks.  Once in awhile, there are promos that include perks that are a good deal.a few years ago, we booked a cruise that had a price with  3 perks that was only $150 more than a fare with no perks.  The $300 OBC, gratuities, beverage pkg, or unlimited WiFi.  That time we booked with perks. Usually we try to get the lowest price. Our TA always throws in some OBC. That OBC is refundable. Sometimes we spend it. If we don’t spend it, we go to guest relations and get the cash. Call it a discount.  

8 hours ago, yorky said:

I guess you missed the article here on Cruise Critic

Booking a Cruise Through a U.S. Travel Agent

It was mainly intended for Australians, but the advice given would be good for other nationalities as well.