Vantage point in Amsterdam for ships sailing in?

BVsmurfette

Hello, 

Hoping someone who is familiar with Amsterdam can help me. We were supposed to be on the July 1 Prinsendam sailing, and were so disappointed when we heard she was leaving the fleet on that day instead! We'll now be sailing on the Rotterdam on July 1, so we'll be in Amsterdam on the morning when I believe the Prinsendam is supposed to make her final sail-in as a HAL ship. My husband and I are amateur photographers and we'd love to capture this! Figure that even though we'll never cruise on her, this is the closest we'll get!

Can anyone recommend some good vantage points along the waterfront where we'd have an unobstructed view?  I understand all the ships in Amsterdam come in from Ijmuiden on the west side and I'm keeping in mind that it'll likely be early morning when she sails in, so it would have to be a public space that's open at that hour! I'm poking around on google maps and think I may have found a few spots, but not entirely sure if they are accessible!

I'm not a fan of amsterdamn as you can judge from my avatar, but I do know a great spot . Like the previous poster mentioned, take a ferry to the other side of the river. Take the ferry that takes you to the NDSM area, a former shipyard that is being redeveloped with housing etc. If you get off the ferry , take a left until you reach a pier called NDSM pier ( about 125 meters) , you will also see some old ships there,  at the end of this pier you have a great view of the river. 

• Like 1