Cruise Critic Community
2xsin12mths

TA vs booking myself

1 hour ago, CA_Cruzing said:

As for the big box stores extreme rebating, the travel suppliers should be ashamed of themselves for doing business with them.  Rebating is simply discounting and that’s against most suppliers policies.  While I understand the advantage from a monetary standpoint, I wouldn’t want to have to rely on some online agent at the big box store if I got hurt in a foreign country, missed a flight, or had a travel supplier go bankrupt mid-trip and leave me stranded.  That’s not worth a $300 in-club gift card to me.  Plus, travel agents are small businesses (even the ones that work for large agencies are typically independent contractors) and I like to support small business every chance I get.

you didn't refute any points in your original post, which basically assails box box TAs because they give a rebate, which is identical to a non big-box store's TA giving you OBC.

from your posts, all i can deduce is you're a TA and promoting using independent TAs versus big box because you don't like the "rebate" but instead you'll take OBC credits.

clearly you're only seeing the trees in your own forest.

your statement above is what i am calling out. "That’s not worth a $300 in-club gift card to me." you seem to harp on a rebate and posit that only a "local TA" can be of help in your time of need. that's just untrue.

travel as you wish, but don't slam another TA because you prefer someone else or don't like that big-box delivers high value.

OBC gifts are the same as a rebate store card. you're just spending them in different places.

I'll stick with my 12% cruising discount structure. all because NO ONE else is giving me that discount level in addition to quality service.

7 minutes ago, CA_Cruzing said:

you didn't refute any points in your original post, which basically assails box box TAs because they give a rebate, which is identical to a non big-box store's TA giving you OBC.

from your posts, all i can deduce is you're a TA and promoting using independent TAs versus big box because you don't like the "rebate" but instead you'll take OBC credits.

clearly you're only seeing the trees in your own forest.

your statement above is what i am calling out. "That’s not worth a $300 in-club gift card to me." you seem to harp on a rebate and posit that only a "local TA" can be of help in your time of need. that's just untrue.

travel as you wish, but don't slam another TA because you prefer someone else or don't like that big-box delivers high value.

OBC gifts are the same as a rebate store card. you're just spending them in different places.

I'll stick with my 12% cruising discount structure. all because NO ONE else is giving me that discount level in addition to quality service.

You’re being argumentative for no apparent reason and you’ve completely mis-represented everything I wrote.  Have a nice day.

It has been said already... but speaking from personal knowledge, you may sometimes be able to get a better deal than even some of the TA's can give you. But either way, you can even transfer the booking to a TA after securing a reservation directly with the cruise line (so long as you haven't made the full payment yet), and unless it is a couple hundred dollar, couple day cruise, you should always be able to get at least a little on-board credit... for basically no extra effort. You just need to find a TA that is willing to walk you through the transfer process😉