Swimming with Dolphins & Sting Ray's with Back Pain - how STRENUOUS is it?

JACKYJUSTKIDDING

I have back pain and was looking to swim with the dolphins and sting rays but almost all of them are listed as strenuous. How strenuous is it? I can stand in water. I just can't bend a bunch and do back flips or have someone throw me through a table or hike a mountain. I can stand in a pool for an hour or so though especially if theres something to lean on. Will I survive? 

This is my first cruise and will be my first excursion and my first time swimming with dolphins/string rays. I'm excited and nervous and just want to know what to expect! I really appreciate the help!

There are lots of videos online that show both experiences.  You're not necessarily "swimming" for more that a few minutes in either experience, although with the stingrays you might have to swim a few feet to the sandbar area if your boat anchors at a far edge.

Basically, for Stingray City, the boat takes you out into the ocean to the sandbar area to see the stingrays, and you stand on the sandbar and watch them swim around you.  It can be tough to keep your balance if the waves are rough that day, however.  You could easily stay on the boat and watch from there if you didn't feel comfortable getting in the water.

For the dolphins, you're in a pool, mostly standing and watching them, but some experiences do include a ride (getting towed by a dolphin around the pool).  You could, I assume, opt out of that part and just pet them instead.

Google some youtube videos, and watch them to help you decide.

9 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

There are lots of videos online that show both experiences.  You're not necessarily "swimming" for more that a few minutes in either experience, although with the stingrays you might have to swim a few feet to the sandbar area if your boat anchors at a far edge.

Basically, for Stingray City, the boat takes you out into the ocean to the sandbar area to see the stingrays, and you stand on the sandbar and watch them swim around you.  It can be tough to keep your balance if the waves are rough that day, however.  You could easily stay on the boat and watch from there if you didn't feel comfortable getting in the water.

For the dolphins, you're in a pool, mostly standing and watching them, but some experiences do include a ride (getting towed by a dolphin around the pool).  You could, I assume, opt out of that part and just pet them instead.

Google some youtube videos, and watch them to help you decide.

Thanks so much! I did check out a lot of videos but just wanted some personal feedback. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for taking the time to comment!

On 6/20/2019 at 12:24 PM, JACKYJUSTKIDDING said:

Thanks so much! I did check out a lot of videos but just wanted some personal feedback. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for taking the time to comment!

When I did it a few years ago, for the dolphin swim we were in water deep enough you had to tread, they do provide flotation devices but you have to do some of the work. I am NOT a strong swimmer and I did just fine. It was an amazingly fabulous experience. I would never have chosen to do it b/c of my poor swimming ability, but I won the tour in a raffle and it was honestly one of the best experiences I've ever had. Enjoy!!

the hardest part is usually using a ladder to get back on the boat (S-City) or out of the pool .....

especially if the boat is bouncing a bit due to a swell . . 

some boat / pool ladders are easier than others . . . 

Edited by Capt_BJ