Ideas for my daughter's birthday whilst on the Zuiderdam, port will be Ålesund

shudie

I just saw the post about flowers and it got me to thinking that our daughter will turn 11 whilst on our transatlantic cruise - apparently there are few kids on these crossings - 5 last year I think. 

How else to people celebrate birthdays on-board? 

Anything special you would recommend either on-board or in Ålesund, Norway? 

We eat out a lot as a family  - is there somewhere special on the Zuiderdam to eat out for dinner? Or would the MDR be better with our usual waiters? 

Hit me with your best suggestions 🙂 

Years back my daughter had a wonderful 9th Birthday on the Prinsendam.  There was only one other child on board but club HAL organized a birthday party for her.  We ate in the main dining room and the waiters came to sing for her.  Captain Turner stopped by at our table  (My Dad had asked if this was possible for a photo) and wished her a happy birthday.   She loved it all and to this day remembers what a special day it was!

I hope your daughter has a special day as well!

2 hours ago, Lunar Dragon said:

Years back my daughter had a wonderful 9th Birthday on the Prinsendam.  There was only one other child on board but club HAL organized a birthday party for her.  We ate in the main dining room and the waiters came to sing for her.  Captain Turner stopped by at our table  (My Dad had asked if this was possible for a photo) and wished her a happy birthday.   She loved it all and to this day remembers what a special day it was!

Fantastic! That's great to know re club HAL 🙂 

How did she find the cruise with so few kids? 

We have a port almost every day in the Baltic and then every second day for the Transatlantic... 29 days onboard lol, more concerned about squishy cabins (we usually take a suite on Carnival). 

2 hours ago, Lunar Dragon said:

and also, it sounds like Club Hal runs with minimal children? 

My daughter thoroughly enjoyed herself and kept in touch with her Canadian friend for many years after.  If a ship offers Club Hal, they will run it even with only two kids.  The Baltic is popular so there are sure to be other kids on board and most European kids speak a bit of English.  We have done the Baltic on the Zuiderdam and it was wonderful..  My daughter by that time had just turned 18, and was in floods of tears as she was no longer allowed in Club Hal!

To be on the safe side, let Club Hal and the Dining room manager know when your daughter’s birthday is and I am sure they will organize something for her.

Have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 12:26 AM, Lunar Dragon said:

My daughter thoroughly enjoyed herself and kept in touch with her Canadian friend for many years after.  If a ship offers Club Hal, they will run it even with only two kids.  The Baltic is popular so there are sure to be other kids on board and most European kids speak a bit of English.  We have done the Baltic on the Zuiderdam and it was wonderful..  My daughter by that time had just turned 18, and was in floods of tears as she was no longer allowed in Club Hal!

To be on the safe side, let Club Hal and the Dining room manager know when your daughter’s birthday is and I am sure they will organize something for her.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Wonderful feedback, thank you!

Oh no, re your daughter... that's a good reference for Club HAL lol. 

In the main dining room, be sure you talk to the maitre'd at the begining of the cruise and arrange a cake for your daughter.  The crew will sing Happy Birthday.

A lot of people like to eat in the Pinnacle Grill but sadly the wait staff are not allowed to sing there.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2019 at 7:54 PM, Krazy Kruizers said:

In the main dining room, be sure you talk to the maitre'd at the begining of the cruise and arrange a cake for your daughter.  The crew will sing Happy Birthday.

A lot of people like to eat in the Pinnacle Grill but sadly the wait staff are not allowed to sing there.

thank you x

I vote for dinner in the MDR, so she can have the experience of being sung to and given a cake. In addition, you could see if the spa would allow someone that age to have a manicure or pedicure.  You could let her pick something from the boutique. You could let her pick that day’s excursion. You could get her a Virgin strawberry daquiri. You could decorate the stateroom. What an awesome place to spend her birthday!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I vote for dinner in the MDR, so she can have the experience of being sung to and given a cake. In addition, you could see if the spa would allow someone that age to have a manicure or pedicure.  You could let her pick something from the boutique. You could let her pick that day’s excursion. You could get her a Virgin strawberry daquiri. You could decorate the stateroom. What an awesome place to spend her birthday!

Wonderful ideas - thank you.