AARP Discontinuing Rewards for Good

4 minutes ago, PrincessPatti said:

Here is the reply from AARP.  Not really sure what to make of it.

37ECF2C0-4392-4354-8647-0D214A82C1C3.png

Thanks for posting their response. Sounds like they've had to postpone the roll-out. Hopefully they don't keep the Aug. 20th deadline if they're not going to notify everyone till the end of this month. With the shipping troubles some have been experiencing, trying to redeem a lot of points before that August deadline could be a pain.

I am wondering if they are having issues with the third-party provider of the gift cards and are making the change for that reason.  This might also explain why we would lose the points.  It is the third party that runs it and sends out the gift cards, and maybe AARP is not happy with all the delays, not notifying when they are shipped, etc.

And for the person that posted about Newegg.com, I use them as well to get gift cards.  Really like the e-gift card option.  You can also sign up for Newegg points and get $$$ money off at check-out.  When I use Newegg, I use one of those cash back web sites that I probably can’t mention here and get additional $$$ back from them.

Edited by FTLCruiseGal

Thanks for the heads up!  I ordered 2 $500 gift cards to use some of my many points.  Planning on using the rest next month!  When Verizon discontinued their rewards program (changed it to something worthless!), I regretted not using up all of my points on the Carnival gift cards. We cruise multiple times a year, and always at 10% off, thanks to these discounts.

10 minutes ago, keywest1 said:

Looks like somebody at AARP did leak the announcement a bit early 😀

Doh! It was nice knowing you, Bill. We're going to miss you bringing us donuts every Friday morning.

6 minutes ago, FTLCruiseGal said:

I am wondering if they are having issues with the third-party provider of the gift cards and are making the change for that reason.  This might also explain why we would lose the points.  It is the third party that runs it and sends out the gift cards, and maybe AARP is not happy with all the delays, not notifying when they are shipped, etc.

And for the person that posted about Newegg.com, I use them as well to get gift cards.  Really like the e-gift card option.  You can also sign up for Newegg points and get $$$ money off at check-out.  When I use Newegg, I use one of those cash back web sites that I probably can’t mention here and get additional $$$ back from them.

That company also owns & operates Allstate Rewards. Since theirs is called "Allstate Rewards," and AARP is changing to "AARP Rewards," I was kind of thinking that it's probably still going to be the same company running them.

Does that cash back website you use rhyme with "Bbates?" 😜

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, FTLCruiseGal said:

That's good info!!  Thanks!  That will help sweeten the deal.  

3 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

The one I use was formerly what you just said there, but it changed it's name to something that sort of reminds you of Rasputin 🤓

32 minutes ago, pcvtmom said:

Thanks for the heads up!  I ordered 2 $500 gift cards to use some of my many points.  Planning on using the rest next month!  When Verizon discontinued their rewards program (changed it to something worthless!), I regretted not using up all of my points on the Carnival gift cards. We cruise multiple times a year, and always at 10% off, thanks to these discounts.

You are correct about the worthless part 😉 !

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Doh! It was nice knowing you, Bill. We're going to miss you bringing us donuts every Friday morning.

That company also owns & operates Allstate Rewards. Since theirs is called "Allstate Rewards," and AARP is changing to "AARP Rewards," I was kind of thinking that it's probably still going to be the same company running them.

Maybe.....  😉

18 minutes ago, keywest1 said:

The one I use was formerly what you just said there, but it changed it's name to something that sort of reminds you of Rasputin 🤓

🤐

Y’all are cracking me up.  Thanks!

• Like 1

I'm hoping the new AARP rewards will be similar, but I'm glad to hear there are alternatives to it if it isn't.  It would be nice if they could offer the electronic versions again.  They were so much better, and I could get what I needed when there was an excursion promotion or something.   I was hesitant to try the other companies, so I'm glad to hear that people have used them and liked them.  

I ordered 1000.00 worth of cards last Sunday and they were delivered to my UPS store Wednesday. I would be contacting them if it has been a month.  I can find nothing about this on AARP site and the link above only gives me a blank page. Not sure this is true. They have not sent out any emails either. I would think they would have something on their website if this were true.

29 minutes ago, bingo3 said:

I ordered 1000.00 worth of cards last Sunday and they were delivered to my UPS store Wednesday. I would be contacting them if it has been a month.  I can find nothing about this on AARP site and the link above only gives me a blank page. Not sure this is true. They have not sent out any emails either. I would think they would have something on their website if this were true.

It's true. Check out post #52 from the OP. She contacted AARP to confirm and included their response. The original webpage posted here was outdated, but they are revamping their rewards program. They'll make an announcement at the end of the month.

1 hour ago, sprint180 said:

Well you all have got me interested. I know nothing of those sites   I can’t figure out the names. I will have to study up on it

I'll just say it. I don't think it's against TOS, but if it is, my apologies ahead of time. We're talking about Ebates, which is owned by Rakuten. I don't currently use it, but I'm thinking about it. Basically, you buy things from online retail sites through your Ebates/Rakuten account and you get a small piece of the commission that those retailers pay them. It's been around for quite a while. There's also a smartphone app.

2 minutes ago, dpkd said:

Can someone explain to me how to use these? I keep reading something about needing to use points, but if I am able to purchase, do I use them like cash?

You have to earn points on the Rewards for Good site (by taking quizzes for example).  Then you can combine points with money to purchase gift cards or other items for a discount.  The Carnival gift cards are the same as you would buy through the Carnival website or other store.  The only difference is in the price you pay for them.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, dpkd said:

So if I have 6000 points and I need 5000 points to buy it can I only buy one?

With 6,000 points, you can only buy one $500 gift card....which would leave you with a 1000 point balance in your account.

However, if the $100 gift cards are available, you can also buy a single $100 gift card with the remaining 1000 points.

So, bottom line, with 6000 points (and $540 in cash), you can buy a single $500 gift card (which costs $450 cash) AND a single $100 gift card ($90 cash).

Hope this makes sense.

Garnett

• Haha 1

I tried to get in 2 days ago and had an awful time.  I was asked to log in several times...even though my information was correct.  Finally ended up calling and resetting my password over the phone.  Snagged one of the $500 gift cards for our Horizon cruise in September.  If the program is changing, I might need to grab a few of the $100 ones too.  We'll be using it for onboard purchases since we are all paid off.

54 minutes ago, N7786W Flyer said:

With 6,000 points, you can only buy one $500 gift card....which would leave you with a 1000 point balance in your account.

However, if the $100 gift cards are available, you can also buy a single $100 gift card with the remaining 1000 points.

So, bottom line, with 6000 points (and $540 in cash), you can buy a single $500 gift card (which costs $450 cash) AND a single $100 gift card ($90 cash).

Hope this makes sense.

Garnett

Thank you so much!

4 hours ago, dpkd said:

So if I have 6000 points and I need 5000 points to buy it can I only buy one?

Each $100 gift card costs $90 + 1,000 points.

Each $500 gift card costs $450 + 5,000 points.

With the current program, if you order any amount under $500, the cards are shipped via USPS and do not require a signature. If you order an amount $500 & up, they're shipped UPS and do require a signature. We don't know if this will stay the same when the new rewards program starts. If I had to guess, I'd say it probably will stay the same because Allstate insurance has the same rewards program with the exact same shipping policy. Both Allstate and AARP rewards websites are currently owned and operated by the same outside company.

AARP said they'll be making an announcement about the changes at the end of this month, so it should be soon. The website that was going around, the one they now say is outdated, gave a deadline of July 19th to earn new points and August 20th to redeem any points we've earned. After that, all points would be forfeited to make way for the revamped program. Until they make the announcement, we don't know if those two deadlines will be the same, but it gives us an idea of what they're doing. I have a feeling they'll just leave them, or at least make the new deadlines similar.

• Thanks 1