AARP Discontinuing Rewards for Good

2 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

You get a promo code every day? I'm lucky to get one or two a month. I sorted through 6-8 of their emails earlier, all of them dated yesterday and today, and not a single one had a promo code.

2 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

Oh...I read somewhere on CC that someone got a daily promo code. Maybe I am wrong? 

I don't get a daily AARP e-mail with embedded reward code, but I do get several each and every week (without exception) and occasionally two within the same day.  Since there is a limitation on how many points can be utilized daily toward Sweepstakes entries, I'm certain to lose/forfeit the majority of my current rewards points. (It is what it is . . . Take 1)

I spoke this week with a corporate alliance peep at AARP about the new/replacement program, and it is definitely going to disappoint some here. (It is what it is . . . Take 2)

1 minute ago, DGP1111 said:

I don't get a daily AARP e-mail with embedded reward code, but I do get several each and every week (without exception) and occasionally two within the same day.  Since there is a limitation on how many points can be utilized daily toward Sweepstakes entries, I'm certain to lose/forfeit the majority of my current rewards points. (It is what it is . . . Take 1)

Lucky

1 minute ago, DGP1111 said:

I spoke this week with a corporate alliance peep at AARP about the new/replacement program, and it is definitely going to disappoint some here. (It is what it is . . . Take 2)

I take that as a "No Carnival Gift Cards".

3 minutes ago, Susan in Maine said:

I need some advice. I'm going to get a total of $800 in gift cards.

Since I can't be certain anyone will be home to sign for UPS, should I buy $400 at a time?

Thanks!

This might be best for you as you have to sign for the $500 gift cards.

12 minutes ago, Susan in Maine said:

Since I can't be certain anyone will be home to sign for UPS, should I buy $400 at a time?

Thanks!

As others have mentioned earlier, you can always sign up for the free UPS service which allows you to change your delivery address to the local UPS Store. 

3 hours ago, DGP1111 said:

It says they'll still have the quizzes. And the rewards catalog items will be similar to what they offer now, plus more. I know, "similar" doesn't mean the same, but I think they'll still have Carnival cards. And if not, I've got Allstate as a backup.

2 hours ago, Susan in Maine said:

Thanks!

I second jbethel's suggestion. Have them routed to a UPS Store near you and you can pick them up (and sign) there. We don't have an actual UPS Store around here, but we do have a small shipping store (I forget the name) that is a certified UPS location.

Some people have been having problems with shipping & delivery through USPS (orders under $500). A few instances of people on here waiting weeks with no cards in sight. One person waited a month and I think they gave up and cancelled the order. Some of them calling AARP multiple times and getting clueless customer service reps. Being told to wait another 5 days, and after that time passes, told to wait some more. This isn't happening to everyone, but something's going on. On the other hand, people who get their cards delivered via UPS haven't seemed to have any problems.

2 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I second jbethel's suggestion. Have them routed to a UPS Store near you and you can pick them up (and sign) there. We don't have an actual UPS Store around here, but we do have a small shipping store (I forget the name) that is a certified UPS location.

Some people have been having problems with shipping & delivery through USPS (orders under $500). A few instances of people on here waiting weeks with no cards in sight. One person waited a month and I think they gave up and cancelled the order. Some of them calling AARP multiple times and getting clueless customer service reps. Being told to wait another 5 days, and after that time passes, told to wait some more. This isn't happening to everyone, but something's going on. On the other hand, people who get their cards delivered via UPS haven't seemed to have any problems.

Yes. What's paradoxical and quite ironic was one time, I saw a FedEx truck at a UPS store. It turns out FedEx and UPS do some cooperating...

I hadn't planned on buying any cards for a while since I just had to replace my suddenly-dead laptop.  But I just bought 3 $100 cards.  We don't have the greatest USPS delivery where I live but, so far, all my cards have arrived fairly promptly in the past.

But I still have 10,000+ points that I'll probably end up losing.  Oh well.  At least I can get GCs from my AMEX card.  Just redeemed 25,000 points for a $250 card for free.  Beats 10% off!

They said they’ll add “hundreds” of new items to the rewards catalog to make sure people have a lot to choose from before the current program ends. So for those who have a lot of points, but don’t necessarily need Carnival cards right now, maybe you can find something else to use them on.

5 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

They said they’ll add “hundreds” of new items to the rewards catalog to make sure people have a lot to choose from before the current program ends. So for those who have a lot of points, but don’t necessarily need Carnival cards right now, maybe you can find something else to use them on.

But typically when stores "add" items, they always end up "taking" items too. However, I am confident that there will be some light at the end of this dark transitory tunnel.

4 minutes ago, molole said:

Do the gift cards have expiration date?   My next Carnival cruise is in 2021. Not sure if I want to buy pay $900 now to get $100. 

The gift cards themselves don't have an expiration date, however there is no guarantee that AARP will continue vending the gift cards. It is better to buy them now, and save them for whenever you want to redeem them.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Thanks for everyone's advice.

I run a convenience store and it's really hard for me to get out during normal business hours. However, UPS stops here regularaly and we are a 24 hour store, so I think I'll just have them sent to the store. (We're a tiny store - my employees won't be able to steal them!)

Since they made the official announcement, has anyone been able to buy a Carnival gift card?  I can't get the site to work with various browsers and computers.  I want to use my points up since they won't carry over. 
From the email I received:
Points won't carry over to AARP Rewards, and any unused Rewards for Good points will be lost. 

8 minutes ago, ugagal07 said:

Since they made the official announcement, has anyone been able to buy a Carnival gift card?  I can't get the site to work with various browsers and computers.  I want to use my points up since they won't carry over. 
Points won't carry over to AARP Rewards, and any unused Rewards for Good points will be lost. 

I know someone who cant get it to work and calling was no help.

36 minutes ago, ugagal07 said:

Yes.  My daughter ordered enough to pay off her cruise (she had paid only the deposit). 

I ordered all I could within my budget.  I also ordered four other types of gift cards for Christmas gifts.

All orders went through smoothly.

44 minutes ago, ugagal07 said:

I ordered 5 $500 cards this morning and had a slight problem getting things to work correctly but then remembered that someone else mentioned only ordering two cards at a time.  I placed three orders, two with two cards and the third with one.  Went quite smoothly after I changed the quantity per order.

5 hours ago, molole said:

Do the gift cards have expiration date?   My next Carnival cruise is in 2021. Not sure if I want to buy pay $900 now to get $100. 

No expiration date, but I've seen a couple people say they had their gift cards for a long time and they went into an inactive status. They called Carnival and they reactivated them. I think this is rare, but apparently it can happen.

1 hour ago, ugagal07 said:

I just checked and was able to add one to my shopping cart and get to the billing info. screen. I didn't want to go any further than that, but seems to be working.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ugagal07 said:

I was just able to purchase some Carnival cards as well as some restaurant cards.  Transaction went through without any issues.

Garnett