Alaska family cruise

shadowcx1

First time cruising with a family of 7(including a 9 year old and a 6 year old). We heard glacier bay is a must see so we narrowed it down to NCL and princess, but not sure which one is better for us. We are looking at May 2020. Here are the ones we are looking at:

NCL Vancouver to Seward

NCL Seattle roundtrip

Princess Vancouver to Whittier

Princess Seattle roundtrip

We are coming from LA so it seems like the ones at Seattle would be more convenient, but people are saying the one way trips are better. NCL’s are less expensive due to the current offer they have with free fare for 3rd /4th guest and princess doesn’t have any promotion offer as of now. Which one would you recommend? Any input would be greatly appreciated. And which side of the ship would you recommend for the one way trips if we were to get a balcony room? We have heard one side is better when we are going north bound.

10 minutes ago, shadowcx1 said:

First time cruising with a family of 7(including a 9 year old and a 6 year old). We heard glacier bay is a must see so we narrowed it down to NCL and princess, but not sure which one is better for us. We are looking at May 2020. Here are the ones we are looking at:

Welcome to Cruise Critic, where everyone is eager to assist you! I am jbethel11! I am an older teen (probably the youngest active member here), so I am familiar with the "kid" aspect of cruising! Should you need any more help, feel free to @ me in any one of your threads (like the one you just made!)

11 minutes ago, shadowcx1 said:

NCL Vancouver to Seward

NCL Seattle roundtrip

Princess Vancouver to Whittier

Princess Seattle roundtrip

I would choose NCL Seattle to Vancouver with you tally in airfare unless of course, you book your airfare with NCL in which case it wouldn't matter.

13 minutes ago, shadowcx1 said:

but people are saying the one way trips are better.

Although I haven't been to Alaska, I would see why. Instead of a sea day back to Seattle, you spend more time in Alaska!

14 minutes ago, shadowcx1 said:

NCL’s are less expensive due to the current offer they have with free fare for 3rd /4th guest and princess doesn’t have any promotion offer as of now.

Not only that, but NCL is way more suited for kids your age with all the activities in the kids club!

14 minutes ago, shadowcx1 said:

Which one would you recommend?

NCL

15 minutes ago, shadowcx1 said:

And which side of the ship would you recommend for the one way trips if we were to get a balcony room?

Starboard (the right side of the ship) northbound

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Port (the left side of the ship) southbound

• Like 1

My kids will be 6 and 8 when we are going with Princess from Whittier to Vancouver this summer (my 4th cruise, kids' 2nd). I've done a RT Seattle (without kids) but this time we are flying in 5 days early and exploring Alaska for 5 days before our cruise. I would much rather get the long flight and land travel days (changing hotels, etc) out of the way before the cruise. (I know you didn't mention doing the southbound, but wanted to share why). Combined with the two glacier days, meant this was perfect for us.

My kids love the Princess kids club- youngest group (3-7) does a lot of crafts and activities. This year my older daughter is looking forward to the older group and the fun activities in there (she's especially hoping for the cake decorating). Princess does not have a lot of the extra bells and whistles (water slides, go carts, climbing walls, bowling, etc) but my kids don't care about that yet.

We booked over a year in advance with a refundable deposit. We ended up with more people traveling with us- total of 4 rooms. Every room was re-fared at least once, when a new promo came out (or discount after final payment) that ended up saving us some money. Super easy, just make sure you have refundable deposits. We also booked our airfare for 5 of us through Princess' ez air. We were able to get a lower price until 45 days out, as that is when they were ticketed. Saved over $50pp on flights after booking (no penalty to cancel or change up to ticketing, as long as you pick the flexible fares). 

13 hours ago, thegoaliegirl said:

My kids will be 6 and 8 when we are going with Princess from Whittier to Vancouver this summer (my 4th cruise, kids' 2nd). I've done a RT Seattle (without kids) but this time we are flying in 5 days early and exploring Alaska for 5 days before our cruise. I would much rather get the long flight and land travel days (changing hotels, etc) out of the way before the cruise. (I know you didn't mention doing the southbound, but wanted to share why). Combined with the two glacier days, meant this was perfect for us.

My kids love the Princess kids club- youngest group (3-7) does a lot of crafts and activities. This year my older daughter is looking forward to the older group and the fun activities in there (she's especially hoping for the cake decorating). Princess does not have a lot of the extra bells and whistles (water slides, go carts, climbing walls, bowling, etc) but my kids don't care about that yet.

We booked over a year in advance with a refundable deposit. We ended up with more people traveling with us- total of 4 rooms. Every room was re-fared at least once, when a new promo came out (or discount after final payment) that ended up saving us some money. Super easy, just make sure you have refundable deposits. We also booked our airfare for 5 of us through Princess' ez air. We were able to get a lower price until 45 days out, as that is when they were ticketed. Saved over $50pp on flights after booking (no penalty to cancel or change up to ticketing, as long as you pick the flexible fares). 

On 6/21/2019 at 12:06 AM, jbethel11 said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic, where everyone is eager to assist you! I am jbethel11! I am an older teen (probably the youngest active member here), so I am familiar with the "kid" aspect of cruising! Should you need any more help, feel free to @ me in any one of your threads (like the one you just made!)

I would choose NCL Seattle to Vancouver with you tally in airfare unless of course, you book your airfare with NCL in which case it wouldn't matter.

Although I haven't been to Alaska, I would see why. Instead of a sea day back to Seattle, you spend more time in Alaska!

Not only that, but NCL is way more suited for kids your age with all the activities in the kids club!

NCL

Starboard (the right side of the ship) northbound

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Port (the left side of the ship) southbound

Thanks for the tips!

13 hours ago, thegoaliegirl said:

Thanks for these suggestions! I will look into the option of rebooking and just put down the deposit for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Our first cruise was an Alaskan Cruise on the Coral Princess when my kids were 8 and 9. They really enjoyed the kids club. My older son didn't want to go initially, but we told him to go the first morning as I figured that would be when they were doing ice breakers and meeting people. Also told him he didn't have to go back if he didn't want to. We couldn't get him out of it! In Alaska, Princess also has a junior ranger program in the kids club and such, so they got to learn a bit about Alaska while they were there. 

My quick thoughts after doing my first NCL

1) NCL does seem to be very low key and the freestyle does seem to be great for a relaxing fair.   I was less impressed with food/entertainment so have a big of a bias.

2) Did Princess Alaska with a group of 10, including my 3 kids

a) Think Princess has at the time a huge number of sailings making choice easiest

b) One way is always better, but you need to do air so does take more money, but enables possible land add

c) Don't forget the glacier's visited are critical;  You really want Glacier Bay!

d) Don't forget cost of excursions/activities that adds up quickly if you want to do anything big

e) Cabins like outside balcony are nice but wouldn't get these at the compromise of a-d)  Lots of deck space for viewing and it is often cold and windy, also prepare and expect rain 

• Like 1

Any reason to not consider RCI...We loved the Radiance...their family oceanview cabin #8500 that has a separate sleeping area for kids...and great Adventure Ocean kid's club.

• 2 months later...