How do you buy Carnival Shares?

amajaa

I expect this question has been asked before, so apologies to any one that is annoyed with me asking again. But how do you go about buying shares, I just phoned Equiniti as we have Santander shares from way back when they took over one of the Building Societies we were with so didn’t have to buy them ourselves. Anyway they quoted me quite a high dealing charge if we bought through them.

What have those with shares done? I also noticed some companies quote a monthly fee which doesn’t sound good to me. Please excuse my apparent ignorance on this. 

There are a few on line share dealing companies that enable you  to hold shares in a nominee account. Avoid any that charge a maintenance fee. Cost to purchase is around £12-£14 plus 0.5% stamp duty

Don't think we are allowed to name any company but if you google ‘on line share dealing’ you will get some 

Brian

Edited by BrianI

There is no problem in claiming your OBC from a nominee account.  I just email a current statement showing my holding. Usually get confirmation back the next day, sometimes the same day. 

Brian

Edited by BrianI
  • Like 1

I have no idea how it works in the UK but here in the US we just buy them through a brokerage company.  And now is a great time to buy as yesterday the stock went down like 4%.  I'm so excited as I get to use my stockholders OBC on P&O.  Unfortunately I will only get £60 where in the US I would have gotten $100 but every little bit helps.

It isn't usually a good idea to buy shares for the "perks" though. Carnival have gone from £50 to £34 within the past year. That's quite a hit if you have the 100 necessary for "free" OBC - you'd have to go on quite a few cruises to offset that loss...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, funinhounslow said:

It isn't usually a good idea to buy shares for the "perks" though. Carnival have gone from £50 to £34 within the past year. That's quite a hit if you have the 100 necessary for "free" OBC - you'd have to go on quite a few cruises to offset that loss...

Timing is the key and although I am no expert, now is a better time than a week ago. I bought a few years ago when they were much less than today and we have had financial returns in the form of OBC and dividends that have made them an excellent buy for us. Whilst I agree that the perks are only a part of any decision to invest, for a regular P&O cruiser, they are a significant factor in whether to buy 100 shares or not. 

8 minutes ago, funinhounslow said:

True but don't forget the dividends.  Say, around £150 p.a. in round figures plus one 14 night cruise @ £150 obc is a 6% return on a £5,000 investment. Two cruises yields £450 on a £5,000 investment which is 9%. 

If you were to buy now at £3,500 dividends plus one cruise would generate about 8.8%.

As already said, if you cruise with Carnival on a fairly regular basis it's not a bad return.  For those who bought at rates well under £3,000, it's been better still.  Of course as with any shares, it is a risk but if you are prepared to hang on to your investment - and carry on cruising 😁 then you are getting decent returns.  It's certainly a better deal now than when the shares were around £5,000 for the necessary 100 shares.

We bought ours with the share dealing arm if our high street bank.  I think there was a set up fee and of course charge for subsequent share dealing but no other charges as far ad I'm aware.

20% drop in quarterly profit, Cuba travel ban, $20m dumping penalty, increasing price of oil and slowing bookings in Europe are the factors to consider (amongst others) when purchasing Carnival shares. OBC should be at the very bottom of that list...

24 minutes ago, funinhounslow said:

20% drop in quarterly profit, Cuba travel ban, $20m dumping penalty, increasing price of oil and slowing bookings in Europe are the factors to consider (amongst others) when purchasing Carnival shares. OBC should be at the very bottom of that list...

If you bought now and sailed at least 28 days a year, then the OBC of £300 return on an investment of £3500 would put it at the very pinnacle of most investment lists.

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If you bought now and sailed at least 28 days a year, then the OBC of £300 return on an investment of £3500 would put it at the very pinnacle of most investment lists.

Only if you're confident the share price won't fall further. And you have to spend a significant amount to cruise for four weeks a year.

The S&P index is up 18% this year by the way...

24 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

And if you'd bought last September and had to sell now, you'd take a loss of around £1500, dwarfing any additional OBC and dividends.

As funinhounslow said, shareholder perks should be the last consideration in choosing shares.

34 minutes ago, funinhounslow said:

Only if you're confident the share price won't fall further. And you have to spend a significant amount to cruise for four weeks a year.

The S&P index is up 18% this year by the way...

But it's only back to the same level it was in September last year, markets go up and down just like individual shares and dividends, but OBC can be for life.

Edited by terrierjohn

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But it's only back to the same level it was in September last year, markets go up and down just like individual shares and dividends, but OBC can be for life.

Well yes, I was just questioning your statement that

54 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

And pointing out that investing in an index is generally a smarter investment choice than buying an individual stock.

In order to get any significant value from the OBC perk you have to commit to at least a two week cruise with Carnival every year. So you're spending a couple of grand to access £150. 

My initial post was prompted by the comment that now is a "great time" to purchase Carnival shares - I am just not sure that the relatively modest OBC perk compensates for the significant capital risk...

• Like 1

I bought my Carnival shares several years ago at £2200 and they are the best investment I have made to date. Share dividend plus one cruise a year gives a NET return of over 13%, Even if I don't cruise with Carnival I get over 6% NET on my investment.

I bought mine via P&O and it is very easy to claim your OBC, just email your shareholder reference and cruise number and it is done!

1 hour ago, funinhounslow said:

In order to get any significant value from the OBC perk you have to commit to at least a two week cruise with Carnival every year. So you're spending a couple of grand to access £150. 

If you are going to be cruising anyway then the OBC is a bonus. Don't forget that it is valid on any Carnival line, which includes Cunard, Princess, HAL, Costa etc.

Brian

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Yes, but the 28 days need to be split into two 14 day cruises.  

6 hours ago, davecttr said:

I bought my Carnival shares several years ago at £2200 and they are the best investment I have made to date. Share dividend plus one cruise a year gives a NET return of over 13%, Even if I don't cruise with Carnival I get over 6% NET on my investment.

I bought mine via P&O and it is very easy to claim your OBC, just email your shareholder reference and cruise number and it is done!

I didn’t know P & O acted as a stockbroker for Carnival shares. How do you contact this particular part of P & O please? 

1 hour ago, amajaa said:

I didn’t know P & O acted as a stockbroker for Carnival shares. How do you contact this particular part of P & O please? 

P&O will not sell you shares in Carnival plc you will have to contact a share dealing service company look online for best deals.

15 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

P&O will not sell you shares in Carnival plc you will have to contact a share dealing service company look online for best deals.

You can't purchase shares direct from P&O, but you can from their registrars, and that's probably what the earlier poster had in mind. It's probably an expensive way of doing it, though.

This might help:

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/before-you-sail/more-info-share-holder

To purchase shares in Carnival Corporation and/or Carnival plc please contact your bank, broker or look online.

Our Registrars are Equiniti Ltd and you may purchase Carnival shares from them on: 0371 384 2030

Equiniti will also help you with further share information regarding current share price, dividends, etc. You may also purchase a share certificate from Equiniti and once received and registered at this office, further proof of shares will not be required for future cruises. 

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

You can't purchase shares direct from P&O, but you can from their registrars, and that's probably what the earlier poster had in mind. It's probably an expensive way of doing it, though.

This might help:

To purchase shares in Carnival Corporation and/or Carnival plc please contact your bank, broker or look online.

Our Registrars are Equiniti Ltd and you may purchase Carnival shares from them on: 0371 384 2030

Equiniti will also help you with further share information regarding current share price, dividends, etc. You may also purchase a share certificate from Equiniti and once received and registered at this office, further proof of shares will not be required for future cruises. 

Yes, that is what I did, I don't remember it being expensive

58 minutes ago, davecttr said:

58 minutes ago, davecttr said:

It's about 4 times more expensive than the online platform that I use. 

12 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

This might help:

Thanks, that’s what I thought, I was a bit surprised when someone said they had bought them from P & O direct.