B2B2B - Can We Carry on Six Bottles of Wine on Initial Boarding Day?

SargassoPirate

She Who Must Be Obeyed and I are looking at three seven day Caribbean cruises next winter, all on the same ship. I can imagine that carrying on half a case of wine on our initial embarkation day will likely divert us to the naughty table.  With the absence of boarding documents and just a medallion, should we rely on the crew to be able to determine our B2B2B status, or should we bring our old school boarding documentation anyway?  (Sort of defeats the medallion concept if I need paperwork anyway)

On a recent B2B MedallionClass cruise (two 7 day cruises with different booking numbers) we brought the boarding passes for both cruises printed from the Cruise Personalizer to ensure carrying on 2 bottles each during embarkation.  We did that because the OceanReady app’s boarding pass showed only a 14 day cruise.

I agree that it defeats the purpose of the MedallionClass system by printing them but we wanted to have proof of sailing two cruises and not just one cruise.  When boarding the wine check table wasn’t staffed but we preferred to have proof in case our number of bottles was in question.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

I'll just say, you learn something EVERY day.  This is helpful for my upcoming back to back in October.  Thanks all!

My cruises were never sold as one voyage but I note that Medallion has combined them into one "sailing".  So I too will be bringing paper boarding passes to evidence the fact that we booked and paid for two cruises.

3 minutes ago, jondfk said:

I'll just say, you learn something EVERY day.  This is helpful for my upcoming back to back in October.  Thanks all!

My cruises were never sold as one voyage but I note that Medallion has combined them into one "sailing".  So I too will be bringing paper boarding passes to evidence the fact that we booked and paid for two cruises.

If you’re eligible for any free internet minutes, my MedallionClass cruise affected how many were issued.

Despite being two separate 7-day bookings B2B, they combined our cruises into a 14 day cruise because it was MedallionClass.  Thus we were issued 250 minutes instead of 300 (2x150) although I’ve read that if went to the Internet Café they would’ve restored the missing 50 minutes upon request. 

If one person sails alone in a cabin, he/she has to pay twice the pp rate.  Can one then make the argument that since they are paying for two passengers they should be able to bring a bottle of wine for each passage paid (a total of two)?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

If one person sails alone in a cabin, he/she has to pay twice the pp rate.  Can one then make the argument that since they are paying for two passengers they should be able to bring a bottle of wine for each passage paid (a total of two)?

It's a reasonable and logical argument.  Don't recall hearing any singles reporting on it.

In March, 2019, on a back to back on the Regal I printed my two boarding passes but never needed them. In this case I boxed up a dozen bottles of wine and put a note inside the top that said 2 bottles for reservation XXXYYY, two bottles for reservation YYYZZZ and 8 bottles for corkage fee - along with my name and cabin #.  I gave up the box along with my suitcases at the terminal.

The suitcases showed up in a timely manner, and closer to 5 pm or so, the box was delivered.  The rope handle and wrapping was cut off, the top was cut open on 3 sides and two new documents were on the top. One was a printed naughty note saying the box had been opened the illegal contents confiscated, and the other was a receipt for 8 x $15

In this case they accepted my math, billed me for the extras and put corkage stickers on 8 random bottles. No bottles were missing, and there was no indication that the procedure was improper.  Next time I would specify WHICH bottles were to get the stickers.

What will happen next time?  Who knows, but not lugging around a HEAVY box of wine worked fine.

42 minutes ago, CaliforniaDon said:

In March, 2019, on a back to back on the Regal I printed my two boarding passes but never needed them. In this case I boxed up a dozen bottles of wine and put a note inside the top that said 2 bottles for reservation XXXYYY, two bottles for reservation YYYZZZ and 8 bottles for corkage fee - along with my name and cabin #.  I gave up the box along with my suitcases at the terminal.

The suitcases showed up in a timely manner, and closer to 5 pm or so, the box was delivered.  The rope handle and wrapping was cut off, the top was cut open on 3 sides and two new documents were on the top. One was a printed naughty note saying the box had been opened the illegal contents confiscated, and the other was a receipt for 8 x $15

In this case they accepted my math, billed me for the extras and put corkage stickers on 8 random bottles. No bottles were missing, and there was no indication that the procedure was improper.  Next time I would specify WHICH bottles were to get the stickers.

What will happen next time?  Who knows, but not lugging around a HEAVY box of wine worked fine.

I went to the pursers desk earlier in the evening to pay and asked that the stickers be left loose. When the bottles showed up around 6:30 at the door, they handed the loose stickers for our 36 bottles less the 2.

They also stored them in the room where we wanted them as they cam in 5 separate boxes.

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I'll let you know July 27th unless someone else chimes in b4

3 hours ago, trinitygirl said:

I travelled solo on Golden Princess in February; I took 4 bottles and had to pay corkage on three - the bottle is per person, not per cabin.

I guess one could also make the argument that you shouldn't have to pay corkage if you bring on screw top bottles as well.  You'd lose, but it would be fun to make the argument.

6 hours ago, trinitygirl said:

I travelled solo on Golden Princess in February; I took 4 bottles and had to pay corkage on three - the bottle is per person, not per cabin.

Got it. Is the corkage charged to the room? I haven't been assessed it yet 

14 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

We are on a 25 night TA & Baltic and wondering if we can bring a couple bottles on board at the end of the TA?  We booked it all on one booking number.

Yes.  You can always bring bottles on board at any port and expect to pay corkage either upon boarding it, or when take to dining room.  Those are sold as two separate cruises, so you should get 2 x 2 free bottles.

29 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Yes.  You can always bring bottles on board at any port and expect to pay corkage either upon boarding it, or when take to dining room.  Those are sold as two separate cruises, so you should get 2 x 2 free bottles.

Thanks!!!

20 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

If you’re eligible for any free internet minutes, my MedallionClass cruise affected how many were issued.

Despite being two separate 7-day bookings B2B, they combined our cruises into a 14 day cruise because it was MedallionClass.  Thus we were issued 250 minutes instead of 300 (2x150) although I’ve read that if went to the Internet Café they would’ve restored the missing 50 minutes upon request. 

On our b2b, I was given 300 internet mins and my husband got 250.  Internet cafe corrected it. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I guess one could also make the argument that you shouldn't have to pay corkage if you bring on screw top bottles as well.  You'd lose, but it would be fun to make the argument.

great ideal!!!!

It really depends on who is doing the checking in/security...some don’t care and some are mini commandandants...we did a 60 day cruise and they were very firm we had to pay for any overages past 2.. even though I explained several times it was a 60 day cruise... very frustrating.

good luck .. easier to bring more on at the ports ..