Just wanna cry now!

Wolfsrule

I just got off a 7 day cruise on the Conquest. I had such an amazing time...it was one of the best weeks of my entire life. Since debarking just a few hours ago I just want to cry and cry I miss the ship so much already and I may not be able to cruise again for 2-3 years. (It had been 3 years since my last cruise on the Dream. Any tips for overcoming this? It was such an awesome vacation I hate ending it in tears. 

yeah! book another, low deposits and pay slowly!! I'ts always nice to have your next one booked when you get off the ship!! 

if not, I guess just keep an eye out for future cruises and start a savings toward one, maybe that will help?

Good luck!!

• Like 1

My 17 y/o daughter is the same way when vacations are over.  She is genuinely sad for days afterward.

If you can't book another vacation right now, start researching and planning.  That way you'll be prepared to jump on a deal when it becomes available.  I plan lots of vacations I never take =)

• Like 4

here's a tip from a banker and annual cruiser...

IF you have the ability to transfer $20 per week to an account that you don't utilize (2nd checking, savings) at the end of the year you'll have $1000 for a cruise.   Most people don't miss that amount of money weekly and it helps them to achieve goals they might not have achieved otherwise. 

(personally I have a cruise account, vegas account and a Xmas account I utilize in this manner)

also, IF you get a Carnival credit card, Carnival cruise purchases are 0% interest for 6 months.  I know some folks who book cruises with the $50 deposit and then utilize their carnival credit card when it's time to pay for the cruise in full - then pay it off over next 6 months while there isn't any interest for the purchase.  

I realize everyone’s financial situation is different, but I agree with the previous posts saying booking another cruise (or already having another cruise booked) does wonders for your mental well being. We always have at least several cruises booked at a time, so every time a cruise ends, we know we have another cruise to look forward to. 

6 hours ago, Wolfsrule said:

I just got off a 7 day cruise on the Conquest. I had such an amazing time...it was one of the best weeks of my entire life. Since debarking just a few hours ago I just want to cry and cry I miss the ship so much already and I may not be able to cruise again for 2-3 years. (It had been 3 years since my last cruise on the Dream. Any tips for overcoming this? It was such an awesome vacation I hate ending it in tears. 

Sometimes going back to reality isn't always a good thing. There's been plenty of times when I felt like crap after our vacations. It takes me a while to get out of my funk afterwards. There's been a time or two when we've extended our (land-based) vacation just because we were having a good time and didn't want it to end. Over the years, I've heard a lot of people who are on vacation say, "I can't wait to get home and sleep in my own bed." I don't like those people very much. 😜 LOL

Our last cruise was a year ago. We don't have another one booked until March of next year, but we're considering trying to work it so we can go on an "in-between" cruise this winter, just so we don't have to wait so long. It's not something we've done before because we're a family on a pretty tight budget, but we're looking at ways to make it work. But the only thing that helps my "vacation's over" blues is time. When it's over, we think and talk a lot about it, which probably doesn't help matters. Eventually, the dark cloud clears and we start talking about the next one.

• Like 1

I get sad too. Here you on on a vessel moving across the most beautiful places, relaxing, having fun, eating, drinking, etc. Then it just ends, and it's back to work and life. Who wants that?

The thing I tell most people is money spent on vacations is better than most of the other crap we buy and you can afford vacations easier than you think. Cut out expenses you don't need. Work a little extra (if you aren't salary). Save up. Get a good rewards credit card. You don't need to "splurge" when you do go on a vacation. Go in the off-peak season.

I downgraded my cable and internet bills alone and it pays for 1 cruise for me per year. Not only that, but I still have all of the channels and everything I watch. That is the best way to overcome the sadness!

On 6/22/2019 at 6:06 PM, Joebucks said:

Get a good rewards credit card.

We put every single thing we can on our reward card.  And, of course, you have to pay it off every month.  We get 1.5 miles for every dollar.  

12 hours ago, Wolfsrule said:

Got home safely after 12 hours in the airport (bleh) but not thrilled still to be home. 10:00am at home and 10am ship time feel like two completely different worlds even though it’s the same time zone!

Do you do non-cruise travel?  We travel a good bit and sometimes it's road trips.  Last summer we drove from Reno to Eureka, CA, and then all the way up the coast into WA State.  It was fantastic.  And didn't cost a whole lot. 

12 hours ago, clo said:

Do you do non-cruise travel?  We travel a good bit and sometimes it's road trips.  Last summer we drove from Reno to Eureka, CA, and then all the way up the coast into WA State.  It was fantastic.  And didn't cost a whole lot. 

Actually found out yesterday we are planning a road trip to North Carolina in September! So now I’m excited again because that’s only a few months away and I’ve never been there. Also got my family on board to try for a cruise next spring so I’m back to planning. I already feel so much better!

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:42 AM, Wolfsrule said:

I am so sorry. I feel this after every good vacation. We book our next cruise while on board to take advantage of the cheaper deposit but still it was a year until we cruise again. So last year I came back and after feeling sorry for myself, I got some camping stuff and we did a road trip. We really enjoyed it and plan to do it again this summer.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

we did a road trip

We've done a couple in the last couple of years and enjoyed them a lot.  I love to cook so we took along some cooked entrees and microwaveable side dishes so we didn't have to eat out every night.  And I honestly can't imagine doing only cruises.  We're thinking about some time in Paris and then the train to Barcelona perhaps.

3 hours ago, clo said:

We've done a couple in the last couple of years and enjoyed them a lot.  I love to cook so we took along some cooked entrees and microwaveable side dishes so we didn't have to eat out every night.  And I honestly can't imagine doing only cruises.  We're thinking about some time in Paris and then the train to Barcelona perhaps.

that is a great idea!

If it was up to me I would cruise more than once a year but civil service doesn't allow for it. I would like to have every getaway be a cruise. There is nothing better in my book for relaxing. I don't have to drive anywhere, cook anything, or clean up. But I get where you are coming from. 

On 6/23/2019 at 7:21 AM, Husky61 said:

Once I get off of the ship I forget about it and go back to my everyday living.  t just doesn't bother me at all to leave the ship.

wow alrighty then.   

On 6/22/2019 at 11:01 AM, BrezQ said:

yeah! book another, low deposits and pay slowly!! I'ts always nice to have your next one booked when you get off the ship!! 

On 6/22/2019 at 11:01 AM, BrezQ said:

Good luck!!

NO!  NO!  NO! :  Put down the minimum deposit, then “pay” slowly into a special savings account to accrue the necessary balance by final payment date.  The interest you earn, while small, will go into your pocket rather than the cruise line’s, and — much more important — if there is a significant drop in price, or another cruise seems more attractive, you can walk away from the deposit.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

NO!  NO!  NO! :  Put down the minimum deposit, then “pay” slowly into a special savings account to accrue the necessary balance by final payment date.  The interest you earn, while small, will go into your pocket rather than the cruise line’s, and — much more important — if there is a significant drop in price, or another cruise seems more attractive, you can walk away from the deposit.

Ha! You’re probably right, but I’d most likely spend it on something else, so my way works for me! 

On 6/23/2019 at 10:04 PM, clo said:

Cruising is pretty economical considering all that goes along with it, but we can and have done plenty of land-based vacations for much cheaper and had just as good of a time. One of our favorite vacations has been going to the Smoky Mountains. We can do that for about a third of what it costs us to cruise. We'd rent a cabin with a kitchen so we didn't have to eat out every night. I know a lot of people don't want to cook their own meals on vacation, but we never minded and it saved us money. Then a majority of our entertainment was hiking and taking scenic drives. We absolutely love it down there. We drive everywhere we go, even to the home ports when we cruise. I've always enjoyed driving long distances; although, it's not quite as easy on me as it used to be. 😋

Our last two big vacations have been cruises and if it were up to my wife, we'd do nothing but cruises. I really enjoy them, too, but there's still places I want to see. Our son and I would like to check off a couple of those places, sooner rather than later. We're going on another cruise next March, but hopefully after that, we'll do some of the others.

We take shorter road trips now & again, too. A couple weekends ago, we drove about 4 hours just to get away and to see a monster truck event. We hadn't been to one in several years and our son just graduated high school, so he wanted to do that to celebrate. Then we had plans for the following day before going home, but he discovered an air show that was going on that weekend. We love air shows. It turned out to only be about an hour from where we were staying, in the general direction of home, so we happily changed our plans and took an impromptu trip there instead.

My dream vacation is visiting the WWII cemetery in Normandy, France. My grandpa was in Normandy on D-Day, and I'm a bit of a WWII buff, so I'd love to go pay my respects. And also visit Remagen, Germany. My grandpa fought in the Battle of Remagen, so it has special meaning to me. But we can't afford something like that right now. Hopefully some day.

• Like 2