What is a reasonable facsimile to Oceania?

Sopwith

4 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

spend it wisely discovering the world and its alternatives 

I don't know why people are so stuck on cruises.  There's a ton of world out there that you can't see on a cruise.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tvmovielover said:

One of the few things O could improve are the enrichment programs.  Their experts are not always that great.  Even Viking has some great lectures on each cruise.  Oh dear, I am going to have to look at Crystal again for enrichment alone!  I would miss the Trivia though.

They have trivia on all sea days.

That's one thing I did like about Regent. Trivia was after tea time everyday.

9 minutes ago, clo said:

I don't know why people are so stuck on cruises.  There's a ton of world out there that you can't see on a cruise.

This is true but cruising is so much easier with only having to pack/unpack once and the ship taking you to the destination. 

Flying nowadays is just so much more complicated.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AtA said:

I believe their new smaller ships will be traveling to some more exotic ports and there are also the river cruises. 🙂

Thanks....However  I have driven to about all the places river cruises go over the past 40 years in Europe.  Second their cuisine  is basic.  nothing new  seeing things I have been driving around.      They have their attraction if you have never been, dont speak local language and are unsure of what to do and where to do it.     I am not in that corwd.

The new smaller ships  will be visiting places I too have been wither with the NAVY, or my own Boat /Blue water  cruiser,.   so  that is my quandary !  ( If some day a cruise stops in Subic bay  I would be curious to see longopo   and see what shore  ex they might come up with !!!)       

Back to O comparison     your can not compare Celeb or Cunard  both massive 3000 pax  with class systems and less choice in quality cuisine   Does Cunard have  a Pan-Aisian Fusion,  A french  brasserie ?      Those let them off the list 

To compare a shop  must be 1100 or smaller, Have no class system, 3 to 5 specialty restaurants that do not charge to dine and unlimited dining,   Be  non formal,  and offer cruises for the  $180-280 pp pd rate

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, clo said:

It becomes a habit, a life style  like some who are totaly into RV's   or Jeeps,  Motorcycles,  etc.    

You see people saying that this will be their 6th cruise to Alaska  or Hawaii...    It can not be for the discovery.

As far as ease of packing   I  just came back from 18 days in Europe traveling back roads of France and Switzerland   with a overnight bag......and a shaving kit.  So it can be done if you want to     I still find flying fun 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Thanks....However  I have driven to about all the places river cruises go over the past 40 years in Europe.  Second their cuisine  is basic.  nothing new  seeing things I have been driving around.      They have their attraction if you have never been, dont speak local language and are unsure of what to do and where to do it.     I am not in that corwd.

The new smaller ships  will be visiting places I too have been wither with the NAVY, or my own Boat /Blue water  cruiser,.   so  that is my quandary !  ( If some day a cruise stops in Subic bay  I would be curious to see longopo   and see what shore  ex they might come up with !!!)       

Back to O comparison     your can not compare Celeb or Cunard  both massive 3000 pax  with class systems and less choice in quality cuisine   Does Cunard have  a Pan-Aisian Fusion,  A french  brasserie ?      Those let them off the list 

To compare a shop  must be 1100 or smaller, Have no class system, 3 to 5 specialty restaurants that do not charge to dine and unlimited dining,   Be  non formal,  and offer cruises for the  $180-280 pp pd rate

Wow!

Oh wise one...Obi-wan kenobi......

have you climbed Mt. Everest yet?   😁

Edited by Kingofcool1947

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

It becomes a habit, a life style  like some who are totaly into RV's   or Jeeps,  Motorcycles,  etc. 

That may be it.  I really appreciate your ability to verbalize these things.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, AtA said:

Flying nowadays is just so much more complicated.

Our cruise in December will involve flying to SF the day before, then flying to Houston, eight hours in the Houston airport (thank goodness for the United lounge), ten hours flight to Rio.  Our cruise in March was Reno to Oakland, a number of hours there, then fly to Gatwick with about seven hours there (got a Yotel room there) and then to Bergen Norway.  So we definitely didn't do it for ease of travel but rather for the destination(s).  This has been an interesting thought process for me.  The upcoming trip involves just one sea day and ports that are eight to ten hours each.  I can already tell that will be our preference and lines like Oceania (gonna look at Azamara also) seem geared towards that.  I appreciate everyone weighing in.  And wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the same thing 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

You see people saying that this will be their 6th cruise to Alaska  or Hawaii...    It can not be for the discovery.

As far as ease of packing   I  just came back from 18 days in Europe traveling back roads of France and Switzerland   with a overnight bag......and a shaving kit.  So it can be done if you want to     I still find flying fun 

Interesting...We have been on approx 30 cruises and love the convenience of unpacking once. However, next May DH and I are going to spend approx. 3 weeks doing Switzerland by train. We will each bring a medium sized suitcase and a backpack. Phew..if anybody knows me, this will be like camping. We will visit all of the ski resorts in off season (we ski all Winter) and this is a passion for DH. We have skied in Europe but it is always fun to see other resorts.

Logistically, this takes a lot of planning and I have spent weeks figuring out our itinerary. We have been to Switzerland prior, but doing it different this time. Some luxury hotels and some 3 to 4 star. 

I requested one special thing...having been in Northern Italy and Lake Como area prior,  I have always wanted to stay at Villa d' Este. We now have added a few extra days to our journey 😉  

I am looking forward to this new adventure. It is a tradeoff. He did Antarctica for me and we will visit Japan in October. He was not thrilled with any of this but always ends up having a good time. This one is for him 🙂

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

if anybody knows me, this will be like camping.

Well, bless your heart.

If we're somewhere more than a couple of nights we like to have an apartment.  I seriously dislike eating every meal 'out' and we love going to local markets and getting the local foods.  But I'm into cooking.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2019 at 11:13 PM, Fredalyn said:

Last summer we took our first Oceania cruise on the Insignia. We had been upgraded to a ph2 after booking guaranteed. We did so because of what we read on CC about the size of the bathrooms. We don't really use or require a Butler.

Comparing it to the ships and lines we have been on in the last four years-

IMO Oceania's food cannot be beat. I like the fact that it is a smaller ship. (The service we received on the crusies line have all been superb.) I love the fact that so much is included in the fare and the alcohol is either alacarte or through a package. DH doesn't drink and I will have a fancy drink and bring my own wine. The entertainment was mediocre. However, watching the ocean and sky is plenty for us.

For us Cunard out does most vessels because of the deck that goes around the ship. I think it was called the promenade (or that could have been a name I remember from when I was a child). Both TA crossings we had a Balcony on deck 11. I think the bathroom may have been close to the same size as the Insignia ph2.  We did not need a suite.The price is right. However, as others have said- they charge for every little thing: water, soda, lattes. It adds up but they have a tea/coffee maker in the cabin. We also liked the detailed information we got on ship's cable showing, sea conditions, location etc. I like the formal nights b/c I get to wear all the fancy dresses bought for other ocassions.

On the Celebrity Summit, we had a Celebrity Suite. Compared to ph2, it was an apartment. Everything was included and the designated restaurant Luminare was good. We felt the entertainment was better. It is a larger ship than the Insignia and I think I would only cruise suite class to avoid crowds. We checked out the buffet and didn't like it.

What are you looking for in a cruise? That is the question we have asked ourselves. People look for different features. We have traveled extensively and would rather have a relaxing experience on the water and don't care if we even get off the ship. We also like not having to fly and all the above ships depart from the NYC metro area.

All that being said- we have booked the Insignia for Bermuda, twice! We enjoyed it that much.

Hope that helps.

Hi M.

Jim and I are on the Riviera on Feb. 14 for 12 days.  Want to join us.? It will be a great opportunity to reconnect. We need to do that.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

Well, bless your heart.

If we're somewhere more than a couple of nights we like to have an apartment.  I seriously dislike eating every meal 'out' and we love going to local markets and getting the local foods.  But I'm into cooking.

I love to cook also, but it is a bit difficult to cook on a train. Renting an apartment for 1 to 2 nights does not work for us either. Part of the fun for us is staying at special hotels/resorts along the way and touring the area. 

Possibly when you cruise on Oceania, the chef will allow you to help him in the galley?

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Hi M.

Jim and I are on the Riviera on Feb. 14 for 12 days.  Want to join us.? It will be a great opportunity to reconnect. We need to do that.

Terri

Hi Terri,

Would love to but the school calendar just won't let me lol!

I will email when I get a minute. Currently, I am working feverishly on curriculum.

M

10 hours ago, keithm said:

Sorry, but the food in the Grills was every bit as good as O. You can venture off menu easily as well. Prices however, are higher in the Grills than standard cabins on O(Riviera). True if you don't like the formal dress, I'd suggest another line. I have to admit on Riviera pax always dressed well. Not tuxedos, but sport coats are well in evidence & thankfully, jeans were not permitted in rest. at night on Riviera.

When on Cunard we travel Britannia class. On O we get great food for substantially less than what the Grills cost plus the less restrictive dress code. On O everyone gets the same great food regardless of cabin category.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, clo said:

We do the same thing! The first time I convinced my husband to rent an apartment, he was VERY skeptical! But it was Amsterdam, we had an apartment in a 350 yr old canal house, and it was delightful! He enjoyed being able to have breakfast at home, snacks & wine/beer in the afternoon. He came to enjoy the flexibility - and I get to shop in local markets and cook fun things I might not at home! And yes, I even travel with my own knife 🙂 (you never know what you're getting in a rental! Not an expensive knife- just one I know is sharp to use for a week without injury....)

We enjoy cruising but typically do it (so far) as an introduction to places we haven't visited yet, to see where we might want to spend more time on land. As we age, who knows what we'll end up doing. We have seen our parents' styles in travel change as they age as well....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoyaheel said:

We do the same thing! The first time I convinced my husband to rent an apartment, he was VERY skeptical! But it was Amsterdam, we had an apartment in a 350 yr old canal house, and it was delightful! He enjoyed being able to have breakfast at home, snacks & wine/beer in the afternoon. He came to enjoy the flexibility - and I get to shop in local markets and cook fun things I might not at home! And yes, I even travel with my own knife 🙂 (you never know what you're getting in a rental! Not an expensive knife- just one I know is sharp to use for a week without injury....)

We enjoy cruising but typically do it (so far) as an introduction to places we haven't visited yet, to see where we might want to spend more time on land. As we age, who knows what we'll end up doing. We have seen our parents' styles in travel change as they age as well....

I've traveled countless times with a knife 🙂  Gotta have my priorities.

6 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Even on cruises?   😁

Nope.  But I will carry a spreader for soft cheeses.  Hmm, maybe I'll carry a 'steak knife' in case I have any leftover meat I've brought back to our cabin.  

3 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

I always have a corkscrew and sporks. Yes, even on cruises 😉

With there now being so many great wines with screwtops we no longer have to carry a corkscrew.