Grand Princess Anytime Dining

Yehootu

This will be our 5th time on the Grand and the 3rd time on this Alaska itinerary. We've always had early time dining so Mom could make her show. Unfortunately she has taken her last cruise. How are the lines for anytime dining? Are there many 2 tops available.

Mahalo

1 hour ago, janina said:

Always can get a table for 2, and if you don't want to wait make a reservation:)

Unfortunately, the times for which you can make a reservation on the Grand are extremely limited now.  You can go at 5:15 or 8:00 PM ... 

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Unfortunately, the times for which you can make a reservation on the Grand are extremely limited now.  You can go at 5:15 or 8:00 PM ... 

For Anytime Dining?  Doesn’t that defeat the purpose?  Those are Traditional Seating Times, I know.,

We did our first anytime dining and was a little surprised that people with assigned seating times could utilized the anytime dining room.  Whats the point?  Do assigned seating and if you cant make it, go to anytime dining I guess.

Anytime dining should be when you want to eat. I like late but sometimes go earlier.

Making reservations doesn't make sense to be. I just go when I want and to where I want.

Now they have made changes in the dining times.

Botticelli deck 6 aft... 5:00 pm and then 7:30 pm  Traditional

Da Vinic deck 6 mid... 5 pm Traditional and then anytime 7:15 pm to 9 pm

Michelangelo deck 5 mid... 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm (use to be 9:30 pm)

Other changes..

Lunch in dining room now 11:30 am to 1:00 pm now (instead of 12 to 1:30 pm)

Tea 3 pm to 4 pm (instead of 3:30 to 4:30 pm

Crown and Sabatini's open now 5 pm to 10 pm (instead of 5;30 to 11 pm)

Grill and pizza on Lido open till 10 pm now too ( instead of 11 pm)

Alfredo's still open to 11 pm

Horizon Buffet open to 10:30 pm (instead of 11 pm)

IC still 24 hrs that's the coffee place too.  Coffee and cones outside only open till 10 pm.

I know some of you know these new times if have  had cruises in the last year but to those

that haven't these are the changes.   

These changes are suppose to be fleet wide but there always can be a ship that follows

their own rules but don't think so. But who knows!

These are the Grand Princess Times. ( new times on the Emerald and the Crown too )

Edited by Belle

9 hours ago, Linsifer said:

For Anytime Dining?  Doesn’t that defeat the purpose?  Those are Traditional Seating Times, I know.,

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking!  It was impossible to get a reservation for 6 or 6:30 PM.  It's unfortunate because I used to say the Grand Princess was the ship of 'Yes'.  They had a great staff that was so accommodating!  But, after they implemented those new traditional dining times, we were met with denial after denial for reservations around that 6:15 PM requests ... even in specialty dining.  We resorted to eating elsewhere on the ship ... wonder if that wasn't their plan all along for implementing that policy.  

9 hours ago, skidrue said:

We did our first anytime dining and was a little surprised that people with assigned seating times could utilized the anytime dining room.  Whats the point?  Do assigned seating and if you cant make it, go to anytime dining I guess.

Yes ... I agree!!  What's the point?? 

I complained about this because we knew for a fact that passengers that requested traditional dining were always using the anytime dining, which made the lines and wait times to be seated even longer.  I am 'somewhat' happy to report that on the Royal, they were actually checking your chosen dining option against your room number ... 'somewhat' only because I believe it was inconsistent.  

But, I was told that only after 7:30 PM could passengers with traditional dining be allowed to use the anytime dining option and that could be adjusted in either direction based on the lines at the anytime dining room.  That sounds fair to me but, must be consistently enforced.  I always say, pick a lane ... don't just drive down the middle of two lanes because you can't decide which one you want!!  

19 hours ago, Yehootu said:

This will be our 5th time on the Grand and the 3rd time on this Alaska itinerary. We've always had early time dining so Mom could make her show. Unfortunately she has taken her last cruise. How are the lines for anytime dining? Are there many 2 tops available.

Mahalo

Sorry to hear your mom has decided to retire from cruising. ☹️

But yes,  there are plenty of two tops available in anytime dining.  

To avoid too much wait in line,  go on off hours.  Otherwise sometimes a wait as long as 10-20 minutes to get a two top.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.  👍

Edited by Kingofcool1947

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking!  It was impossible to get a reservation for 6 or 6:30 PM.  It's unfortunate because I used to say the Grand Princess was the ship of 'Yes'.  They had a great staff that was so accommodating!  But, after they implemented those new traditional dining times, we were met with denial after denial for reservations around that 6:15 PM requests ... even in specialty dining.  We resorted to eating elsewhere on the ship ... wonder if that wasn't their plan all along for implementing that policy.  

We were fortunate to have a free upgrade and a nice upsell to Club Class the last two times we were on the Grand, so didn’t have to experience regular Anytime Dining.  I had no idea it was like you described.  Argh.

3 hours ago, Linsifer said:

We were fortunate to have a free upgrade and a nice upsell to Club Class the last two times we were on the Grand, so didn’t have to experience regular Anytime Dining.  I had no idea it was like you described.  Argh.

Ahhhhh.... love Club Class.  My next cruise on the Grand will have that dining feature ... yay!!   

Anyhow, it never used to be that way ... it is only since they changed the traditional dining times.  They didn't add any extra cabins to the Grand so it was a self imposed error on their part!  It isn't just on the Grand, either.  We experienced the same thing on the Royal recently.  Very disappointing indeed!  

24 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Ahhhhh.... love Club Class.  My next cruise on the Grand will have that dining feature ... yay!!   

Anyhow, it never used to be that way ... it is only since they changed the traditional dining times.  They didn't add any extra cabins to the Grand so it was a self imposed error on their part!  It isn't just on the Grand, either.  We experienced the same thing on the Royal recently.  Very disappointing indeed!  

Why not the Owner’s Suite?  👍👍

Enjoy.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

To me..Go when you want, can get lucky and get in right away. If not and you have to wait..

then you decide if you want to wait or go some place else.

With dinner starting at 5 pm now, diners get out earlier now.

17 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Why not the Owner’s Suite?  👍👍

Enjoy.

I did book a suite for my next cruise ... basically, just so I could sit down an have a meal in the dining room without all the issues.  But then, I am assured to cruise way less often.  

I spent 30 days on the Grand last year.  I would recommend getting in line at 7:00 pm, for a 7:15 pm dinner in the Da Vinci dining room, on Deck Six.  You shouldn't have a problem getting a two-person table then.  I avoid the Michelangelo on Deck Five.  It's too chaotic down there. 

1 hour ago, partybarbie said:

I spent 30 days on the Grand last year.  I would recommend getting in line at 7:00 pm, for a 7:15 pm dinner in the Da Vinci dining room, on Deck Six.  You shouldn't have a problem getting a two-person table then.  I avoid the Michelangelo on Deck Five.  It's too chaotic down there. 

Sounds good to me. Mahalo for the tip

• Like 1