Would you sail with broken wrist?

ccndfw

I broke my wrist 3 years ago and needed surgery.  I can't imagine going on a vacation enjoying myself.  Just getting dressed was a chore. I bought pull on pants instead of wearing jeans with a zipper and button. I only had a few tops to wear that I could get my arm into the sleeve. Anything you do is a real effort. It's no fun lugging around a cast in a sling all day.  When I spend good money on a vacation, I want to have a good time, not sit around. I can do that at home.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Question: sitting aside the CFAR insurance, would a broken wrist be a 'covered reason' if the doctor says you're fit to travel?

It would depend on the policy, in most cases I suspect not.

4 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Question: sitting aside the CFAR insurance, would a broken wrist be a 'covered reason' if the doctor says you're fit to travel?

First, the terminology.  To have a claim paid due to a medical reason, one needs to have a physician state that one should NOT travel.  (I suppose it's possible, but I can't imagine a situation where one would submit a claim that included a physician letter stating that the ill/injured person COULD travel.)

And one cannot "self certify" that one is too sick/injured to travel.  Indeed, the physician cannot be related to the injured/ill person.

At least with our insurance, to get the regular coverage (not CFAR) for medical reasons one needs a form completed by a physician stating that one can't/couldn't go on the trip, either for one's self, a traveling companion, or a family member not traveling.

I'm sure there is quite a variety of a) the seriousness of the broken wrist (and perhaps degree of fragility), b) the degree of pain, c) the advice from a particular physician.

But in some cases - and this seems to be one of them - with a recent/ongoing (not healed) injury, some affected individuals and their physicians would decide "no go", whereas others who seem in similar circumstances would decide "go!".

The patient and physician would have discussed this.

The insurer has the right to get additional medical records/scans/etc., in addition to the physician's report.

The "patient" could be hospitalized in traction, or could have a very small hairline fracture, and also be someone with a high pain tolerance.

As long as the medical records substantiate the injury/illness/etc., I seriously doubt that the insurer would frequently get involved to the degree of "Well, it's not *that* bad of a break... and we think you should go (or should have gone)" or such.

However, I suppose there are indeed times when the insurer investigates and decides that there wasn't sufficient merit to a claim.

(And keep in mind that all of the forms, from the insured to the physician, are include statements about fraud...)

GC

2 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

First, the terminology.  To have a claim paid due to a medical reason, one needs to have a physician state that one should NOT travel.  (I suppose it's possible, but I can't imagine a situation where one would submit a claim that included a physician letter stating that the ill/injured person COULD travel.)

And one cannot "self certify" that one is too sick/injured to travel.  Indeed, the physician cannot be related to the injured/ill person.

At least with our insurance, to get the regular coverage (not CFAR) for medical reasons one needs a form completed by a physician stating that one can't/couldn't go on the trip, either for one's self, a traveling companion, or a family member not traveling.

I'm sure there is quite a variety of a) the seriousness of the broken wrist (and perhaps degree of fragility), b) the degree of pain, c) the advice from a particular physician.

But in some cases - and this seems to be one of them - with a recent/ongoing (not healed) injury, some affected individuals and their physicians would decide "no go", whereas others who seem in similar circumstances would decide "go!".

The patient and physician would have discussed this.

The insurer has the right to get additional medical records/scans/etc., in addition to the physician's report.

The "patient" could be hospitalized in traction, or could have a very small hairline fracture, and also be someone with a high pain tolerance.

As long as the medical records substantiate the injury/illness/etc., I seriously doubt that the insurer would frequently get involved to the degree of "Well, it's not *that* bad of a break... and we think you should go (or should have gone)" or such.

However, I suppose there are indeed times when the insurer investigates and decides that there wasn't sufficient merit to a claim.

(And keep in mind that all of the forms, from the insured to the physician, are include statements about fraud...)

GC

Exactly my point.  Posters in this thread have been ignoring that the physician must state that travel isn't recommended for the insurance to cover.

Interestingly, I will be discussing the MRI done last week on my left knee with my orthopedic surgeon tomorrow.  Fortunately, I won't hit final payment for a couple of weeks.  Let you know.

On 6/24/2019 at 7:38 AM, WELDON said:

I broke my wrist 3 years ago and needed surgery.  I can't imagine going on a vacation enjoying myself.  Just getting dressed was a chore. I bought pull on pants instead of wearing jeans with a zipper and button. I only had a few tops to wear that I could get my arm into the sleeve. Anything you do is a real effort. It's no fun lugging around a cast in a sling all day.  When I spend good money on a vacation, I want to have a good time, not sit around. I can do that at home.

Since my dh's passing,  I travel solo. I could not manage on my own so, no, if I broke my arm, I would not attempt  to  travel until it healed ,  i could not manage luggage,  packing  and unpacking etc.

On 6/22/2019 at 8:39 PM, ccndfw said:

We are supposed to be leaving on a trip to Alaska next weekend, however, one of the people in our party fell and broke their wrist.  Initially, she was told she just needed a cast, however. Now she’s been told she needs surgery.  The soonest they can do it is during the week of our cruise, however, her doctor also told her she could wait a week and do it when she gets back.  She can’t decide what to do and is really torn because she was so looking forward to our trip.  We have insurance so canceling isn’t much of an issue... we would be out some $ for the insurance itself, but not too much. She’s in some pain, but she said it’s manageable, although, she has only been laying around the house and not really doing much.  I’m concerned that it won’t really start to heal correctly until after the surgery so perhaps it’s worth getting it done sooner.  Also concerned she won’t be able to have much fun if she starts hurting more.  Has anyone traveled with a broken bone?  And if so, what was your experience?

I have travelled with both a broken wrist and a broken elbow but caveat - they were in the recovery stage.  The wrist was out of the cast and in a sling and I was doing rehab.

The elbow had been operated on and was just out of the brace.

IF her doctor says she is safe to travel then she can abide by the decision but honestly I would be concerned about potential damage and the longer they take to set it the more complications there may be.

I agree with your concern about healing correctly.

However, IF she is totally assured that it is safe, make sure she uses a sling so it doesn’t get bumped in airports, busy spots, etc.  Even then, she must be VERY careful.

Personally, as much as I know how hard it is to miss a cruise, if it were me, I’d get my wrist attended to ASAP even if it meant missing the cruise.  The longer it goes, the harder it is to repair (I know, believe me) and the more arthritis can become an issue later.

Sailed a year or so ago with a broken ankle, every cruise for the last 15+ years with a Broken back, I guess a broken wrist would mean a tad more work for Mrs Gut, but wouldn’t keep us at home.

11 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Sailed a year or so ago with a broken ankle, every cruise for the last 15+ years with a Broken back, I guess a broken wrist would mean a tad more work for Mrs Gut, but wouldn’t keep us at home.

Was that a severed spinal cord or 'just' vertebrae?  Ignore if too personal.

I may have mentioned upthread that I had a bad/hard fall.  Nothing broken.  But I was in almost constant pain.  And barely went ashore, for maybe 30 minutes max.  I should never have done that trip.  And I'll never travel again without trip insurance.

1 minute ago, clo said:

Was that a severed spinal cord or 'just' vertebrae?  Ignore if too personal.

I may have mentioned upthread that I had a bad/hard fall.  Nothing broken.  But I was in almost constant pain.  And barely went ashore, for maybe 30 minutes max.  I should never have done that trip.  And I'll never travel again without trip insurance.

Just multiple vertebrae, and pressure on spinal cord, I spend much of my time in a wheelchair. It’s one reason we love cruising, when I’m doing it tough I can go back to my cabin and rest while Mrs Gut gets on with activities etc, if she is worried about me it’s just a short walk back to check on me. I always have travel insurance.

44 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Just multiple vertebrae, and pressure on spinal cord, I spend much of my time in a wheelchair. It’s one reason we love cruising, when I’m doing it tough I can go back to my cabin and rest while Mrs Gut gets on with activities etc, if she is worried about me it’s just a short walk back to check on me. I always have travel insurance.

Thanks for sharing.  For you, cruising seems like THE perfect way. Yes?  I'm so glad you're still 'on the road.'  Best, Cath

23 minutes ago, clo said:

Thanks for sharing.  For you, cruising seems like THE perfect way. Yes?  I'm so glad you're still 'on the road.'  Best, Cath

Lots of people worse off than me. Doesn’t stop me whinging at times

Edited by GUT2407

On 6/23/2019 at 1:29 PM, clo said:

From what I've read it can be a problem on an airplane due to swelling.

In my case, that was why the ortho in Siena cut a opening down my cast - so it could allow swelling.   I would think that any ortho would know to do it.  There are good splints now for wrists, like the walking boots.  It works well.  

I haven't read all the responses yet, but here's my take. It's based on current experience - I broke my wrist on a cruise bin Thailand in April. It was an open fracture so I had emergency surgery in Thailand. I'm currently finishing a land trip in Costa Rica that was planned before the break. I got my cast off about a week before leaving and just started rehab. The hand and wrist are still pretty disabled due to lack of strength and range of motion. 

It is my dominant hand, but most one hand things, I could do with the other hand - sometimes awkwardly and usually more slowly. It's the two hand things that are hard to impossible. Videos on line can help with some like how to tie shoes with one hand.

There is also still pain some of the time and sometimes it's hard to find a comfortable position to sleep. At home, I was sleeping in a recliner at times. Strange beds & pillows don't help.

If this is a bucket list Alaska cruise, I'd cancel and rebook later when the wrist is recovered. There will be a lot of activities you have to skip with a cast. Even with the cast off, but weak hand, I've had to skip some this trip.

If it's one of many Alaska trips you'll take, then you might go & just chill and enjoy the scenery and time with friends/family.

Another consideration - it's a long recovery process - time in the cast and then months of rehab and healing to get pain free and full function back. Do you want to delay that by delaying the surgery?

14 hours ago, slidergirl said:

In my case, that was why the ortho in Siena cut a opening down my cast - so it could allow swelling.   I would think that any ortho would know to do it.  There are good splints now for wrists, like the walking boots.  It works well.  

Yes, when the hospital said I could travel home, the travel insurance had a form for them to fill out. The insurance sent an email from their medical review checking that I wasn't in a full hard cast for the flight. If it was, they said it should have an opening cut to allow for swelling.

Years ago, I did fly on a business trip with a full cast a few days after the injury. It was okay though there was some swelling. But that was a minor break with only a little soft tissue damage. Minor enough that I walked on it a day before going to the doctor.

36 minutes ago, new_cruiser said:

Yes, when the hospital said I could travel home, the travel insurance had a form for them to fill out. The insurance sent an email from their medical review checking that I wasn't in a full hard cast for the flight. If it was, they said it should have an opening cut to allow for swelling.

Years ago, I did fly on a business trip with a full cast a few days after the injury. It was okay though there was some swelling. But that was a minor break with only a little soft tissue damage. Minor enough that I walked on it a day before going to the doctor.

Lucky.  I was in a variety of casts (from that hard plaster cut to fiberglass to a boot to a eco-skeleton for 5 months, rehab for a year.   When I broke it, I wanted one of women with me to take a photo - leg was flat on the ground but my foot was at 90 degree angle, also flat on the ground.  The X-ray of my fibula looked like two crowns with points pushing, but not breaking, the skin...  No way I could walk on that one!   I did take a a couple of trips with the casts on once I could put a little pressure on the leg,  I just did what I could.  

Four years ago I traveled to Australia and New Zealand for 2 weeks each, then from New Zealand to San Diego via cruise ship for another 26 days with a broken wrist.  I had surgery the week before I left, had a cast the entire trip.  Non dominant hand.  Very helpful husband.  Get complete instructions and extra pain meds from the dr before you leave, go to the physical therapist and get detailed instructions for exercises and do them as instructed.  Cannot get the cast wet.  This limited my activities - no snorkeling or swimming, but there was still wonderful adventures to be had.  I say go for it.