Leghorn

Chocolate Teapot

As the excursion I wanted to do from Livorno doesn't look like it will be going ahead, I have decided to spend the day in Leghorn, as British aristocrats during the Grand Tour used to call it. 

Has anyone else stayed in Livorno instead of going on excursions further afield? I know it doesn't have the sights of Florence, but there appear to be enough things to do for a relaxing day. 

35 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

As the excursion I wanted to do from Livorno doesn't look like it will be going ahead, I have decided to spend the day in Leghorn, as British aristocrats during the Grand Tour used to call it. 

Has anyone else stayed in Livorno instead of going on excursions further afield? I know it doesn't have the sights of Florence, but there appear to be enough things to do for a relaxing day. 

We enjoy walking around and last November had a very nice day in Livorno.  We just walked and admired the buildings. We got as far as the sea front Terrazza.  We could have seen and done more, we were having a relaxing day.  

Bear in mind that we have visited Pisa, San Gimignano, Lucca and Florence.  This was visit number 6 to Livorno.  It was memorable because that is how we like to spend our day when on trips.    

5 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

While I took the others to Pisa and Lucca my aunt stayed back with one of the kids and they went to Piccola Venezia in Livorno and had a really nice day:  https://www.lonelyplanet.com/italy/livorno/attractions/piccola-venezia/a/poi-sig/1256669/360063

The word "nice" is important here.  I would happily repeat my day, but it is  not "wow" like Lucca or Florence.  

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I spent my day in Leghorn and I had a very nice relaxing day. It was good to see an ordinary working town, as opposed to a tourist destination.

The covered market hall was amazing, and the shopping streets are all covered arcades, so you are protected from the sun. There is a nice church in the centre and some original arcades from the 19th Century, as well as plenty of places to eat and drink.

On 7/13/2019 at 5:33 PM, Chocolate Teapot said:

Well, I spent my day in Leghorn and I had a very nice relaxing day. It was good to see an ordinary working town, as opposed to a tourist destination.

The covered market hall was amazing, and the shopping streets are all covered arcades, so you are protected from the sun. There is a nice church in the centre and some original arcades from the 19th Century, as well as plenty of places to eat and drink.

We were there on a Bank Holiday (1st Nov) so we did not get a feel of shopping streets.  I clearly need to go back.