Power strip

ToyFoxFan

10 minutes ago, palolake said:

Our power strip with a surge protector was confiscated.  Get a really cheap one.

Bzzt!  *Really* bad advice.

The problem is the grounded "neutral" wire that surge protection electronics rely upon to not catch fire when they do their job isn't grounded on shipboard-style wiring.  It's rare to get a large enough surge, but if (when?) you do, the fire damage would put a dent in your onboard folio -- assuming you managed to wake up in the morning.

Edited by Haboob
  • Like 1

This is from the Princess website. I'm not even going to try to find anything on HAL because their website stinks:

*Electrical devices such as small fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords without surge protectors are allowed onboard when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

4 hours ago, denmarks said:

Since ships are not grounded their system can not handle a surge protector.

This is not correct.  Ship's electrical systems are grounded for safety, just like in your home.  What is different is how that ground connection relates to the two power conductors.  Also, it is not that the system "cannot handle" a surge protector, but the surge protector is not designed for the grounding configuration of the ship.  Further, due to the grounding configuration that causes dangers when using a surge protector, surge protectors are not needed on ships.  I have been on several ships directly struck by lightning, and nothing onboard has ever been damaged by the lightning strike, not personal electronics, nor the ship's electronics.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Check Amazon. There are lots that don't have a surge protector.

Or just get a simple extension cord with more than one plug in.

Right.  That's what we use.  But Haboob is suggesting otherwise.

4 hours ago, palolake said:

Our power strip with a surge protector was confiscated.  Get a really cheap one.

48 minutes ago, palolake said:

Hmmm...  Something got garbled there...?

• I don't want to be on the same ship as a plugged-in powerstrip with surge protection.

• You have to open up even a cheap power strip to tell if it does or does not have surge protection -- even then you need to know what a 14¢ metal-oxide varistor looks like.

• Cruise staff are not going to bother trying.

Extension cord for the win.

36 minutes ago, scott4020 said:

I have had one of these for years. This and a multi-usb hub handles all my needs. 

I have two of those. Very handy.Also have a 220v adapter plug for IPhone and IPad charger. The power strip takes care of a night light, alarm clock, camera charger, and tooth brush charger.

IMG_3761

220v adapter plug

IMG_3480

Bathroom night light with nail clipper

Royal Princess Bathroom Night Light _3336

Howard

1 hour ago, hm9912 said:

I have two of those. Very handy.Also have a 220v adapter plug for IPhone and IPad charger. The power strip takes care of a night light, alarm clock, camera charger, and tooth brush charger.

220v adapter plug

IMG_3480

Bathroom night light with nail clipper

Howard

While the type "C" european outlet adapter you show is fine for low wattage devices like your USB hub, I generally don't recommend these, as the type "E/F" plug is much safer when used with high wattage devices like hair dryers, etc.  The type E/F adapter will connect the ground pin on your device's plug to the outlet's ground (those two metal spring straps inside the outlet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, palolake said:

The confusion was in your post #4 you stated that your surge protecter was confiscated so next time buy a cheap one.

You clarified in post #7.