Strollers for a cruise

HeyNowMama1315

Hi cruising families!

We will be sailing in September. We have a "big kid" 6 year old boy who would never typically agree to sitting in a stroller, but I know for a fact days in the sun and swimming will exhaust him. He will be too tired at the end of a day on shore to walk back to the ship, down the pier etc. We also have a new 4 year old who regularly still takes naps, and does use a stroller. Last year when we cruised we took 2 cheap little umbrella strollers, but my son has seriously outgrown his now. I'd love some advice. Should I look for a double umbrella stroller? Or just a new stroller for my son that he could still fit in? 

For the record we have a double stroller that we can use but its a big full size stroller and will take up way too much space (even folded) in our cabin on the ship.

I'm at a loss here. I don't want to invest in an expensive stroller that we will seldom (if ever besides the cruise) use.

Thanks in advance

PS- my son is 49" tall and around 46lbs  (and if it matters, my daughter is 38" tall and 30lb)

We also have a 6 year old, who magically loses his energy whenever there's a boring walk ahead of him but if we motivate him by offering a treat or making it a competition he usually starts walking or even running! There is a LOT of energy in that little body, but you know your own child so if that would not work for you, have you considered a buggy board or similar for your umbrella stroller? Then he can stand on that and rest? Of course, the are not ideal for umbrella strollers but should at least be simpler than having two strollers.

We have a delta ultimate convince stroller (got it specifically for a cruise), its an umbrella stroller but much taller, the seat also reclines. My oldest is only 3.5 but he is tall and still has room, he gets jealous sometimes of little brother using it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, horsegal said:

We have a delta ultimate convince stroller (got it specifically for a cruise), its an umbrella stroller but much taller, the seat also reclines. My oldest is only 3.5 but he is tall and still has room, he gets jealous sometimes of little brother using it. 

I just looked it up. It looks like it holds up to 45lbs! This is a great option. Thank you! 

7 hours ago, Albinroo said:

We also have a 6 year old, who magically loses his energy whenever there's a boring walk ahead of him but if we motivate him by offering a treat or making it a competition he usually starts walking or even running! There is a LOT of energy in that little body, but you know your own child so if that would not work for you, have you considered a buggy board or similar for your umbrella stroller? Then he can stand on that and rest? Of course, the are not ideal for umbrella strollers but should at least be simpler than having two strollers.

Thanks. I’d rather pack an extra stroller and push our bags in it, than not have it and have to carry a nearly 50lb kid around hahaha 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

don't know what to tell you besides - make the 6 yo walk. DS stopped using a stroller at 14 months when he discovered walking and running.

He started cruising at 3, still taking naps, but never needed to use a stroller or for us to carry him back to the ship after a long, exhausting day of fun at the beach. No, he is not hyper, just the opposite, a very laid back kid.

He too was 49/55# at 6. Using a stroller with a regular (not a low-tone special needs) kid seems a bit extra to me personally. Trust me, a typical 6 yo child has a lot more energy than his parent in 30-50s. No stroller - no problem. Sorry, kiddo, if my 70 yo mom with disabilities can swim all day with flippers and then walk back to the ship without using a wheelchair, so can you.

It didn’t occur to me to bring a stroller for our 4/4/6 year olds on our first cruise, and we had just rented a double for them at WDW days before (6 year old was the size of a petite 4 year old). Just tell him he’s too big.

9 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

don't know what to tell you besides - make the 6 yo walk. DS stopped using a stroller at 14 months when he discovered walking and running.

He started cruising at 3, still taking naps, but never needed to use a stroller or for us to carry him back to the ship after a long, exhausting day of fun at the beach. No, he is not hyper, just the opposite, a very laid back kid.

He too was 49/55# at 6. Using a stroller with a regular (not a low-tone special needs) kid seems a bit extra to me personally. Trust me, a typical 6 yo child has a lot more energy than his parent in 30-50s. No stroller - no problem. Sorry, kiddo, if my 70 yo mom with disabilities can swim all day with flippers and then walk back to the ship without using a wheelchair, so can you.

A little harsh... A lot of unsolicited advice on here moms! 🙄

We have a 3 and 5 year old. The girls are almost done with strollers but on long travel days they are a must. We have used 2 options. First is a Joovy umbrella stroller with an universal boogie board attached to it. Depending on who is more tired they are happy to trade riding standing or sitting. The second option we use is a Joovy Caboose(essentially a Sit N’ Stand) that I bought used for $40 on Craigslist when the boogie board got broken on an airplane. I didn’t want to fork over a few hundred for a new stroller but knew I needed one for the trip. Secondhand is a great option in that case. I hope that helps! 

10 hours ago, Baletrina said:

A little harsh... A lot of unsolicited advice on here moms! 🙄

We have a 3 and 5 year old. The girls are almost done with strollers but on long travel days they are a must. We have used 2 options. First is a Joovy umbrella stroller with an universal boogie board attached to it. Depending on who is more tired they are happy to trade riding standing or sitting. The second option we use is a Joovy Caboose(essentially a Sit N’ Stand) that I bought used for $40 on Craigslist when the boogie board got broken on an airplane. I didn’t want to fork over a few hundred for a new stroller but knew I needed one for the trip. Secondhand is a great option in that case. I hope that helps! 

Thank you for your response! I will certainly be looking in second hand places!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

There’s so much I want to say in response to this. But instead I’ll just say... if you start with “I don’t know what to tell you...” perhaps just not responding at all would do. 

• Like 3

On 6/24/2019 at 6:36 AM, HeyNowMama1315 said:

I just looked it up. It looks like it holds up to 45lbs! This is a great option. Thank you! 

No problem! I actually really love it and use it all the time for my 14 month old for appointments (twice a week for 5 appointments between the 2 kids...). As to the negative comments you got,  shame on them!! You know your kids and what will help everyone have a more enjoyable time!

• Like 1