Power strip with/without surge protector not allowed?

Alaska0799

We're boarding the Island soon and are wondering if anyone who has recently cruised on her has had a power strip confiscated. We've read conflicting posts so would greatly appreciate some reliable information.  Many thanks!

23 minutes ago, Alaska0799 said:

We're boarding the Island soon and are wondering if anyone who has recently cruised on her has had a power strip confiscated. We've read conflicting posts so would greatly appreciate some reliable information.  Many thanks!

Multi plugs are allowed.

If they have surge protection they are not. 

I would pack it in your checked bag and not a carry on.

Port security personnel have their own idea of what they will confiscate etc.

5 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Non surge is fine.

Make that "Non surge are safe" and you're exactly true.

But it takes time, interest, and skill to vet that a power strip is non-surge.   All in short supply for screeners.

Princess site:

Electrical devices such as small fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords without surge protectors are allowed onboard when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

It appears that the devil is in the details.  Princess reserves the right to remove if they determine the cord is a hazard.  So how do they decide that?

We have a small power strip with no surge protection that was in our bags we rolled on board Regal in Copenhagen.  Nothing was noticed or said by the security team scanning bags.  I didn't even think about it.  I know it is a safe product to use, but I don't think most security scans are going to notice and check - certainly the scanners cannot detect a surge protected item versus non-surge protected.  Hopefully, passengers have the good sense to not bring these items.  That said, how many people actually read all the rules and regulations posted? 

I imagine Stewart is trained to look for contraband items and report to supervisors, but IDK this as fact.  I just wouldn't be surprised if it is the case.

Edited by steelers36

We have taken our power strips w/o surge protectors on Carnival, Princess and NCL with no issue.  However my daughter had the exact same one confiscated one Carnival earlier this year.   She did not know enough to make a case to security that it was not a surge protector.  Just returned from a Princess cruise a few weeks ago and it was no problem 

11 hours ago, steelers36 said:

I imagine Stewart is trained to look for contraband items and report to supervisors, but IDK this as fact.  I just wouldn't be surprised if it is the case.

Not sure that Stewart gets around to all the ships to check, but the cabin stewards are more concerned with customer service, and not annoying the guests, so they will generally not investigate anything.  If reporting a contraband item could affect their DSC from that passenger, you can expect that they will not do so, regardless of safety.