Just returned from the Carnival Splendor

esper10

My mother and myself are seasoned cruisers and for the past year or two we have been cruising locally out of Long Beach or San Pedro with Princess. We have done many 4 days with Carnival Inspiration and the Imagination. We did few of the 7 days but honestly the 4 days were just more fun. This time we celebrated my mother’s birthday so we decided on the 7 nights with the Splendor and what an amazing time we had. The ship was full. Also the ship had many kids for the summer vacation, but they were well taken care of by the crew. Also the adults area was very quite. There was never a dull moment. We had the most amazing cruise director Lee. He is so full of life and any event he hosted was just jam packed. I think the cruise director can make or break the cruise when it come to fun and activities. While my mother and myself don’t join the dancing and the high energy activities we love to watch it. Shows were good. It is amazing how a group of 8 people can run so many activities. We are sorry for that ship will be going to Australia but we can only hope that the new Panorama will be high energy and fun. I hope that Lee will return to the west coast as we will take any cruise he will direct. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, esper10 said:

My mother and myself are seasoned cruisers and for the past year or two we have been cruising locally out of Long Beach or San Pedro with Princess.Inspiration and the Imagination. We did few of the 7 days but honestly the 4 days were just more fun. This time we celebrated my mother’s birthday so we decided on the 7 nights with the Splendor and what an amazing time we had. 

Did you by any chance park at the terminal garage?  If so was there any issue with parking?   Have heard that if you arrive before 11:00 the garage is closed and they send you off site to another garage.  

Did you notice any construction in or near the garage?  They will definitely need to expand parking to accommodate the increased numbers of the Panorama.  

Glad to hear you had a great cruise, too!

Agree with everything! In fact, I could have written your post! Lee is just the best. I didn’t get the survey either but husband did and I made sure he mentioned Lee. He’s the first CD I’ve had where I’d book another cruise specifically to sail with him again. He felt like an old friend from day 1 and I had to remind myself that I didn’t really know him, I just felt like I did!

42 minutes ago, katstoy said:

Did you by any chance park at the terminal garage?  If so was there any issue with parking?   Have heard that if you arrive before 11:00 the garage is closed and they send you off site to another garage.  

Did you notice any construction in or near the garage?  They will definitely need to expand parking to accommodate the increased numbers of the Panorama.  

Glad to hear you had a great cruise, too!

There was no problem with the parking. Matter of fact I parked in this parking garage many times. I try to get there around 10:30 because if you get to the parking late you will need to truly look for parking. Around 10:30 late enough for people who left the ship and early for people who are getting there. This time I was late arrived around 11:00 and parking was full. Sure I found parking but had to go to higher floor. We NEVER ben sent to another parking lot. The price is $20.00 per day so 7 days we paid $140.00 it’s a lot  up better than having to fly. I didn’t notice Constraction   

1 hour ago, fyree39 said:

We'll be going back out there in September for an Imagination cruise.  I wonder if we should plan on getting there around 10:30 the way you did.  I'd be pissed if we got there early and was told to go to another lot or to come back in 90 minutes.

I think the problem is only with the Saturday 7 day cruise departures.  From what I've heard and experienced, the 3/4 day Imagination/Inspiration parkers have no problems at all.

I’m so glad to hear all the good feedback about CD Lee. I usually don’t care much about the CD, but since I will be on the last Mexico/TP cruises (31 days), it nice to hear that is so personable. 

2 hours ago, fyree39 said:

This happened to us.  We showed up at 11:30 for our 12:00 check-in and was told by a port employee that the garage wouldn't be open until noon.  He at first directed us to park along the curb to wait for the garage to open, but his boss came out and told him to move the few of us that were waiting.  It's a complete mess and Carnival needs to address it.  If the first check-in time is noon, parking should be available earlier. The excuse is the previous cruisers have taken up all the parking in the garage.  Yeah, well, when they start disembarking self-assist at 7:30 in the morning, I'm quite confident there will be plenty of spots open by 11:30. I need to find a public area (grocery store?) near the terminal where we can sit and wait for the garage to open.

There is construction along the 710 exit ramp to the port, but the signage is still very clear as to where you need to go to get to the port.

I’m handicap person so may be you are right. They allowed me to get in the Garadge so I don’t know if I was not a handicap. There were people who were directing the cars I thought it was because we arrived later than usual 

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked on the Splendor 7 night Mexican Riviera leaving August 9 and I'm wondering which nights are the formal nights? I would like to book a steak house reservation, but want to make sure I don't book that on a formal night.

Thanks in advance!

7 hours ago, chickenclown said:

We are booked on the Splendor 7 night Mexican Riviera leaving August 9 and I'm wondering which nights are the formal nights? I would like to book a steak house reservation, but want to make sure I don't book that on a formal night.

Thanks in advance!

We just did the June 15 sailing, and elegant dress nights were on Mon and Thurs, IIRC. Both sea days. My mom is a stressed, and traffic is usually a nightmare, so we booked a stay and cruise package at the Holiday Inn Long Beach Airport, and they shuttled us back and forth, which was stress free for her. For about $100 more than the parking alone, we found this to be a great option. The front desk makes an appointment time for your departure to the port, which was nice.

We had a wonderful time, and this was my first time booking a balcony room, and sitting on the balcony was my favorite thing to do on the cruise. Except when our neighbor decided that he had to play his guitar on his balcony. Our extended family has started annual cruises together, which is the perfect way to reconnect and strengthen connections. 

I was so pleased with the entertainment staff. We were thrilled that Connor was on our cruise. We last saw him on Inspiration last year. Our dependent adult daughter loves karaoke and bingo, and has an absolute blast on the ships. The staff were all so nice to her, and a group of special needs travelers that we met on the ship. I’m going to surprise her on 4th of July, I found the recipe for chocolate melting cake, so I’m going to make it for her. It won’t be the same, eating it ashore, but it’ll do until we sail again.

15 hours ago, chickenclown said:

Thanks in advance!

You mean August 10 right?  LOL

55 minutes ago, cfralc said:

You mean August 10 right?  LOL

The 2nd and the 5th nights are formal nights. I don’t remember if they call both of them formal but both these nights are dressing up nights and people take lots of pictures. 5th nights at the dinning room they serve lobster. I wouldn’t miss dinning room 5th night. 

4 hours ago, esper10 said:

The 2nd and the 5th nights are formal nights. I don’t remember if they call both of them formal but both these nights are dressing up nights and people take lots of pictures. 5th nights at the dinning room they serve lobster. I wouldn’t miss dinning room 5th night. 

Thanks! Yes, August 10 is the departure.  I have the 9th in my mind since that is the day we leave. 

Thank you for this review.  Lee has been announced as the cruise director when the ship moves Downunder, so I am now even more excited about our cruise out on Sydney this New Year.  

Edited by oskarNZ