dcruiser50

As I predicted awhile back class cruising has returned, 

Heaven = first class

Balcony or above = 2nd class

Lower than balcony and GTY. Sail away, = steerage 

It will not be long before areas of the ships block off areas for each, 

I am not complaining you get what you pay for just my observation 

2 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

Which is why I was only questioning why they were breaking up non-Haven rooms in different classes. I'm well versed in why Haven is separate. But besides the cabins - a person in a balcony is the same as a person in an inside. 

Edited by smplybcause
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, dcruiser50 said:

Heaven = first class

Of course you get what you pay. No difference in Hotels and Resorts. I can go to the Bellagio in Vegas and spend $200 a night or $5000 a night with a Butler and Concierge.

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, dcruiser50 said:

Once on the ship, there is no difference between what you call "2nd class" and what you call "steerage".

• Like 9

58 minutes ago, dcruiser50 said:

I hope I never get to meet you - shame on you - we often have oceanview cabins.

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 7

58 minutes ago, dcruiser50 said:

Heaven = first class

There is also this class:

https://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/luxury-charter-yacht-47976/savannah.htm

• Haha 1

Sorry to all who misunderstood, this is just an observation based on 18 NCL cruises and numerous post on this site. I am not a proponent for class separation, but I feel this is the direction that cruise lines are heading. And yes I know very well  that thus is a business responsible to its share holders. 

• Like 2

Seriously, you do get what you pay for. But, we sail balconies or suites 90% of the time. Last year we booked a last minute inside. I can honestly say nowhere on the ship were we treated any differently than when we booked a higher category. Now, we didn’t have access to Haven but we didn’t pay for Haven, if I get a ticket to a concert and pay balcony prices I’m not going to get a meet and greet with the artist. Just like everything in life, you get what you pay for.

• Like 7

Its not a class thing, its a price differential. I'm always amazed at people who complain about this on cruise ships and yet are quite content to board an aircraft with First, Business, Premium economy and economy classes available.

• Like 3

Of course class is not defining anything other than what people are willing to spend, and if you feel comfortable spending more that's fine and a choice you make. ( not a deffination in the past) Again just looking to the future. If areas of the ship are restricted then how far away are cruise lines from restricting dinning venues, entertainment etc. To cabin classification based upon pricing?  Personally I always cruise balcony or above, but have meet some of the greatest people from all categories on cruises

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dcruiser50 said:

Of course class is not defining anything other than what people are willing to spend, and if you feel comfortable spending more that's fine and a choice you make. ( not a deffination in the past) Again just looking to the future. If areas of the ship are restricted then how far away are cruise lines from restricting dinning venues, entertainment etc. To cabin classification based upon pricing?  Personally I always cruise balcony or above, but have meet some of the greatest people from all categories on cruises

I so agree with you!  Sometimes we get Inside and sometimes we do balconies, depending on the promotion running...lol.  Recently we booked a Balcony with 4 perks, the inside only had 1 perk available thus making the decision easier for us.  We are among a similar mindset that sometimes people just like to pay extra for the Haven, while we could afford it, we do not spend much time in our room and thus, it would not be worth it for a Suite or the Haven area, and before the Haven pro people come on to this, we do not lay out at the pool, etc where there might be added benefit to us.  We also cruise sometimes with friends who would not book the Haven so we choose to spend our time with friends and not to ourselves in the Haven.

Edited by sykimball1498
extra letter
  • Like 1

Not to add fuel to the fire here...but I am slowly starting to agree with the OP.  But more so based on what NCL did with the Getaway, and what they are doing on the Encore.  

Taking the open pool deck, which while always crowded/was still always free, and now dividing it into 3 sections:

Haven gets 1/3 of the area

Vibe (i.e. pay more on top of your cruise fare) gets 1/3

General public gets 1/3 

Except, on a cruise with 4500 passengers, 1500 of them are not Haven, and they aren't selling 1500 Vibe passes.  

I wouldn't go to the extreme of the OP, and call any person steerage.  But clearly this is some sort of segregation on the part of NCL based on how much money you spend.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

Not to add fuel to the fire here...but I am slowly starting to agree with the OP.  But more so based on what NCL did with the Getaway, and what they are doing on the Encore.  

Taking the open pool deck, which while always crowded/was still always free, and now dividing it into 3 sections:

Haven gets 1/3 of the area

Vibe (i.e. pay more on top of your cruise fare) gets 1/3

General public gets 1/3 

Except, on a cruise with 4500 passengers, 1500 of them are not Haven, and they aren't selling 1500 Vibe passes.  

I wouldn't go to the extreme of the OP, and call any person steerage.  But clearly this is some sort of segregation on the part of NCL based on how much money you spend.  

Once again, it's pretty simple. If you don't like how NCL runs their business take your business to another company

• Like 4

I tend to agree with the OP....and I don't think he was calling anyone 'steerage' but just stressing a point.  My wife and I play a little game when cruising NCL...how long will it take for a person we meet to say "we are in the Haven".  Usually does not take too long (it's been as short as an elevator ride!), and my wife and I just look at each other, then our watches, and smile. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Just curious.....and we sail all types of cabins.....when did it become a crime to work hard all year and splurge to be pampered on your vacation in the Haven?....The idea that everyone in the Haven is a pompous snob is just unfair....I have seen a lot of pompous snobs on cruises and they were not in the Haven.....LOL....some were tho…. 😉

• Like 9

If you book the DOS you will be paying 40x what a couple will pay for their $299pp cabin. The people in the DOS aren't eating or drinking 40 times the value of other people. The cabin isn't 40 times bigger. They don't have 40 times the deck space. What they are really doing is subsidising everyone else. It is the same situation with First Class/Business on airlines. First Class/Business is where the airlines make the majority of their profits, and they can afford to have cheaper Economy seats because of it.

I find it hard to believe that the $299 cabins only cost that much, so the ship has to extract additional money out of people somehow just to break even. People often use the term 'nickel and dime'. NCL is monetizing everything on the ship, otherwise those $299 fares would probably need to be replaced with $499 fares.

Imagine they have $199 fares, but you get charged $50 per bag, and breakfast in the Cafe is $8. The airlines do the same thing.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Once again, it's pretty simple. If you don't like how NCL runs their business take your business to another company

Hey thanks for the sage, insightful, and utterly stupid response.  We have 17 NCL cruises under our belt.  We are platinum plus.  This is a forum to discuss cruises.  

Once again, it's pretty simple, if you have nothing useful to say...STFU  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

If you book the DOS you will be paying 40x what a couple will pay for their $299pp cabin. The people in the DOS aren't eating or drinking 40 times the value of other people. The cabin isn't 40 times bigger. They don't have 40 times the deck space. What they are really doing is subsidising everyone else. It is the same situation with First Class/Business on airlines. First Class/Business is where the airlines make the majority of their profits, and they can afford to have cheaper Economy seats because of it.

I find it hard to believe that the $299 cabins only cost that much, so the ship has to extract additional money out of people somehow just to break even. People often use the term 'nickel and dime'. NCL is monetizing everything on the ship, otherwise those $299 fares would probably need to be replaced with $499 fares.

Imagine they have $199 fares, but you get charged $50 per bag, and breakfast in the Cafe is $8. The airlines do the same thing.

Now it's 40X...went from 10x to 20x....man Haven is getting expensive 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1