Class cruising has returned

dcruiser50

Personally I do all room types, I have done Gty Insides to just getaway on a cruise. 

I have done mini suites and balconies , and also the Haven. It all depends on the cruise, the ports, how many seadays. 

I have never felt like I was  treated less  being in an inside as I have being in Mini suites. Or even being in the Haven.

Yes it’s great to be able to hang out in the Haven but honestly outside the complex I am the only one who knows I am staying there.  There are those who flaunt it but that is a person issue not the room class. 

Yes it’s nice to get treats to the room etc but it’s not the end of the world if you don’t. It’s what you make of the cruise. And how you treat others you will get back no matter what your room type is. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

We only cruise to Alaska because we don't like the heat and the sun. That is why we liked London. The 16yo Haven sundeck rule is a bit of a drag, but we wouldn't have been up there sitting around much anyway. I doesn't really have much value to me. I am just so grateful to be able to have a week off work and have someone else do the cooking.

Now, what is the chance you could organise Greggs to do a deal with NCL and install a kiosk on all the ships?  Just no Pieminster. They were horrible.

I'd love to see a Greggs window on an NCL ship like the Ice cream window, I could sit there all day and watch people reaction, The North's version of Margaritavillle. And by the way I like Pieminister,, and I think you know too much about Leeds 😉

7 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

Believe it or not, we sometimes see UK ones in different places. I always grab a few and stick them in the freezer.

What are they called in the US I know milky way is "Three musketeers

36 minutes ago, thistimeplease said:

In the context that it has been used on these boards it most definitely has to do with what others do or don't do.  Almost everytime a thread has been made regarding the Haven the statement "we work hard all year" is brought up.  I don't care what room someone chooses for their cruise but I do believe that most cruisers "work hard all year" and choose their rooms based on what they desire not because they didn't work as hard as others. 

I think sometimes on here the perception is that the Haven if full of Thurston and Lovey Howells....lol....I think some of US who have made the comment that we work hard, made It to illustrate that we make it a priority to book the Haven because we like the atmosphere and amenities.  It has NEVER been said by me to insinuate that others don't work hard, only to make a point that I'd rather take a Garden Villa cruise versus three or four cruises a year.  My choice, as is yours....no one is right or wrong here.  Its a preference.  

11 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

For this to be fair, NCL should sell Vibe passes online, and should up the number of passes to like 1000.  If the entire top deck used to be for all 4500 passengers, 1/3 of that area should be for significantly more people than the 100 they currently allow.  This way, access to this area won't be as scarce and cause segregation (and a class system) 

I believe all the things you listed are under your control.  If you want a Vibe pass that much, get to the terminal earlier, etc.  Someone cruising in a balcony and paying more for an inside cabin, knows the price different.  There is a much bigger difference in the price of a regular cabin versus a Haven suite.

Sure they can sell them on line, but what about some of the cruisers who don't use a computer, it would still be unfair to them or someone who is traveling before the cruise and doesn't have access to a computer, it wouldn't be fair to them.   Upping the number of Vibe passes to 1000 is crazy, IMHO, and would destroy what Vibe is.  They should up the quanity, based on how many they think they can accommodate, giving them the special treatment they are paying for, and no more, because it sure wouldn't be fair for someone pay for the Vibe to not be able to use something they are paying for.

13 minutes ago, tjt87 said:

I'd love to see a Greggs window on an NCL ship like the Ice cream window, I could sit there all day and watch people reaction, The North's version of Margaritavillle. And by the way I like Pieminister,, and I think you know too much about Leeds 😉

Nope. Pieminster is way under seasoned. They are horrible. And they do that weird British thing of putting carrots in the beef pies. A sweet beef pie?! Yuk. Greggs rule, plus they are a lot cheaper, so you can buy 6. And eat them...

If you are ever in Borough Market, go to the duck confit place, face the counter, and do a 180. There is a little pie place right there that has way better pies, and an old Scottish lady who will scold you if you ask for tomato sauce. She's hilarious. She gets really wound up about it. 

Edited by elwood_98034
Typo

1 minute ago, elwood_98034 said:

Nope. Pieminster is way under seasoned. They are horrible. And they do that weird British thing of puttingcarrotss in the beef pies. A sweet beef pie?! Yuk. Greggs rule, plus they are a lot cheaper, so you can buy 6. And eat them...

If you are ever in Borough Market, go to the duck confit place, face the counter, and do a 180. There is a little pie place right there that has way better pies, and an old Scottish lady who will scold you if you ask for tomato sauce. She's hilarious. She gets really wound up about it. 

Sounds like the place for me.

Go to lots of market towns in the north (Wigan) that no tourist  would go to, and you will see bumber stickers that say "No pies left in this vehicle overnight" anyway I digress

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

I believe all the things you listed are under your control.  If you want a Vibe pass that much, get to the terminal earlier, etc.  Someone cruising in a balcony and paying more for an inside cabin, knows the price different.  There is a much bigger difference in the price of a regular cabin versus a Haven suite.

Sure they can sell them on line, but what about some of the cruisers who don't use a computer, it would still be unfair to them or someone who is traveling before the cruise and doesn't have access to a computer, it wouldn't be fair to them.   Upping the number of Vibe passes to 1000 is crazy, IMHO, and would destroy what Vibe is.  They should up the quanity, based on how many they think they can accommodate, giving them the special treatment they are paying for, and no more, because it sure wouldn't be fair for someone pay for the Vibe to not be able to use something they are paying for.

I'm not sure where you live or where you usually leave from on your cruises, but I live in Long Island and we always leave from Manhattan.  Getting to the terminal at a certain time is 100% NOT solely my control.  Traffic to the terminal can change in an instant in NY, and we have been stuck in 2 hours of traffic for a trip that would take 35 mins if no one else was on the road.  

It is 2019...are there really people booking cruises in 2019 who do not use a computer?  And if there are...how do they book their dining reservations, shore excursions, show reservations, etc...Vibe would be booked the same way.

And last counter point.  Upping the number of Vibe passes from 100 to 1000 is crazy.  BUT taking an area originally designed to hold 4500 people and cutting it down to 1/3, and expecting 4000 (total pax less Haven and Vibe) to fit ISN'T crazy?  Vibe is 1/3 of the top deck.  So why not allow 1/3 of the people access to it?  

• Like 3

Borrowed from Doug in the Encore thread to help illustrate my point.  Look at how much area has been taken away from the general public for Haven and Vibe PLUS Spice H20, another free spot for the general passenger taken away and replaced with go-karts and laser tag.  So the ~3500 passengers, who aren't in Haven, or didn't get Vibe passes, are to fit in that Green area.  Insanity.

Encore.jpeg

Edited by MrMike45
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

I'm not sure where you live or where you usually leave from on your cruises, but I live in Long Island and we always leave from Manhattan.  Getting to the terminal at a certain time is 100% NOT solely my control.  Traffic to the terminal can change in an instant in NY, and we have been stuck in 2 hours of traffic for a trip that would take 35 mins if no one else was on the road. I live in Arizona, so getting to the terminal takes a lot longer, but I account for everying; i.e., late planes, travel to port, etc.  

It is 2019...are there really people booking cruises in 2019 who do not use a computer?  And if there are...how do they book their dining reservations, shore excursions, show reservations, etc...Vibe would be booked the same way. They use travel agents or call NCL.  I live in an age restricted community and you would be surprised how many folks don't have a computer and if you see the age of NCL's passenger you see many are in the older age range.

And last counter point.  Upping the number of Vibe passes from 100 to 1000 is crazy.  BUT taking an area originally designed to hold 4500 people and cutting it down to 1/3, and expecting 4000 (total pax less Haven and Vibe) to fit ISN'T crazy?  Vibe is 1/3 of the top deck.  So why not allow 1/3 of the people access to it?  It is crazy because that many won't fit and there will be a bigger passenger backlash if they are paying for Vibe, but can't use the facilities.  With your scenario of letting a thousand by passes, why doesn't sporting events that hold X allow X more in, because the venues can't hold that amount and not everyone would get a seat.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

1 hour ago, tjt87 said:

Still wealthy 1st world problem

This is absolutely correct but this is a cruiseforum! Everything we discuss here are 1st world problems!

Haven passengers are not necessary more wealthy than insider passengers but most people active on this forum are defenitely much more wealthy than most people in the world!

Edited by sverigecruiser

It is crazy because that many won't fit and there will be a bigger passenger backlash if they are paying for Vibe, but can't use the facilities.  With your scenario of letting a thousand by passes, why doesn't sporting events that hold X allow X more in, because the venues can't hold that amount and not everyone would get a seat.

Not true...look at the picture I posted.  I don't know what the max. capacity on the pool deck is normally set for (unlikely that they expect every passenger be up there at once, so it's not going to be 4500) but Vibe is 1/3 of that area.  So if the total area is designed to hold 4500, then 1000 would fit in Vibe (per NCL's own blue prints).  

17 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

Borrowed from Doug in the Encore thread to help illustrate my point.  Look at how much area has been taken away from the general public for Haven and Vibe PLUS Spice H20, another free spot for the general passenger taken away and replaced with go-karts and laser tag.  So the ~3500 passengers, who aren't in Haven, or didn't get Vibe passes, are to fit in that Green area.  Insanity.

Encore.jpeg

disgusting

1 minute ago, MrMike45 said:

It is crazy because that many won't fit and there will be a bigger passenger backlash if they are paying for Vibe, but can't use the facilities.  With your scenario of letting a thousand by passes, why doesn't sporting events that hold X allow X more in, because the venues can't hold that amount and not everyone would get a seat.

Not true...look at the picture I posted.  I don't know what the max. capacity on the pool deck is normally set for (unlikely that they expect every passenger be up there at once, so it's not going to be 4500) but Vibe is 1/3 of that area.  So if the total area is designed to hold 4500, then 1000 would fit in Vibe (per NCL's own blue prints).  

I don't know what to say, since we disgree and will never agree, except you might want to look at other lines.  I would suggest Celebrity or Crystal.

3 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

I don't know what to say, since we disgree and will never agree, except you might want to look at other lines.  I would suggest Celebrity or Crystal.

You are the second person to make a comment like that.  I have been on 17 NCL cruises.  I am platinum plus.  This is a forum designed for discussing cruises.  How is the solution to find a new line?  Why am I not allowed to voice my opinion, one that is clearly shared by others?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

You are the second person to make a comment like that.  I have been on 17 NCL cruises.  I am platinum plus.  This is a forum designed for discussing cruises.  How is the solution to find a new line?  Why am I not allowed to voice my opinion, one that is clearly shared by others?  

I never said you couldn't or shouldn't voice your opinion.  My comment was based on how unhappy you seem to be with NCL for what they are doing and if I were that unhappy, I would move cruise lines.  By all means voice your displeasure or your pleasure, as no one has said you shouldn't or couldn't, but please don't read more into my comment than what I meant.

Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Even with Celebrity, things are changing similar to NCL as far as "exclusive areas". On new ships like EDGE and APEX, parts of the ship are exclusively for guests with Retreat access. On older ships, ares are being "taken away" from the masses and made into "Retreat access only" during dry-dock. Even Carnival is getting into the trend with Havana. 

4 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Even with Celebrity, things are changing similar to NCL as far as "exclusive areas". On new ships like EDGE and APEX, parts of the ship are exclusively for guests with Retreat access. On older ships, ares are being "taken away" from the masses and made into "Retreat access only" during dry-dock. Even Carnival is getting into the trend with Havana. 

I knew about the Edge an Apex.  Well, I guess those that disagree with the cruise lines doing this, will be very unhappy campers.  The cruise lines are doing what I would do, going after the areas where I can make the most money and that is the suites and for a price venues, like Vibe.  

1 hour ago, MrMike45 said:

It is 2019...are there really people booking cruises in 2019 who do not use a computer?  And if there are...how do they book their dining reservations, shore excursions, show reservations, etc...Vibe would be booked the same way.

Then there are those of us who book Jewel class ships, book excursions on board, and don't have to use a computer for any of that other reservations stuff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Meekofigaro said:

Personally I do all room types, I have done Gty Insides to just getaway on a cruise. 

I have done mini suites and balconies , and also the Haven. It all depends on the cruise, the ports, how many seadays. 

I have never felt like I was  treated less  being in an inside as I have being in Mini suites. Or even being in the Haven.

Yes it’s great to be able to hang out in the Haven but honestly outside the complex I am the only one who knows I am staying there.  There are those who flaunt it but that is a person issue not the room class. 

Yes it’s nice to get treats to the room etc but it’s not the end of the world if you don’t. It’s what you make of the cruise. And how you treat others you will get back no matter what your room type is. 

Totally agree. I have cruised in an inside, a port hole (that dates me, lol), a balcony, suite and haven. I don't cruise that often now but when I do it's usually a balcony. I'm doing the Haven in February because I have saved my money for a couple years and it is a milestone birthday for me AND my sister and I (who don't get to see each other much) are cruising together, yes haw. It's all about priorities. And this time my priority is to go above and beyond my vacation norm and celebrate life. And worry about my diminished savings afterwards!

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

This is absolutely correct but this is a cruiseforum! Everything we discuss here are 1st world problems!

Haven passengers are not necessary more wealthy than insider passengers but most people active on this forum are defenitely much more wealthy than most people in the world!

I don't consider myself wealthy. I just work like a dog in a difficult ugly job that took me years at university and on the job to train to be able to do without killing people in the process. They pay me a lot of money to do it because the hours are rotten, and most people wouldn't want, nor be able to do it. I don't like doing it, but it is how I get money to pay the rent.

A person I work with was hating on me at work the other night for doing the cruise. She spends $20 on dinner every night. I take a sandwich or leftovers from home. I pointed out to her that if she and her husband each took a sandwich they would save $10k a year, and could go on a cruise a well. Silence... Last night she bought a sandwich.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tjt87 said:

This would be true if they weren't taking something away from you that you had in the past

Hi

So...what are you going to do about it? The industry is changing every day, right? Every time something changes, you are going to complain? As I said the cruise industry provides many choices. If one company stops meeting your needs, stop supporting them. Go to a cruise line you have never been on before. Then you wont feel like they have taken anything away from you 😃.

It's not complicated. Each cruise line offers a product, they are competing with other travel industry options for your travel dollar. If you find something you like, you buy it, if not, you find something else. It's the same as any other daily purchase. You are not still complaining that the container of coffee that used to be a pound became less than a pound, or that the bar of cheese that you always bought is getting thinner? One thing you can count on is that things will continue to change. Do you really think that they will add things on for free?

15 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

So...what are you going to do about it? The industry is changing every day, right? Every time something changes, you are going to complain? As I said the cruise industry provides many choices. If one company stops meeting your needs, stop supporting them. Go to a cruise line you have never been on before. Then you wont feel like they have taken anything away from you 😃.

It's not complicated. Each cruise line offers a product, they are competing with other travel industry options for your travel dollar. If you find something you like, you buy it, if not, you find something else. It's the same as any other daily purchase. You are not still complaining that the container of coffee that used to be a pound became less than a pound, or that the bar of cheese that you always bought is getting thinner? One thing you can count on is that things will continue to change. Do you really think that they will add things on for free?

Agree with you Nic. I have tried this reasonable outlook on other endless complaint threads and it does nothing to staunch the flow. I don't understand it! Expressing displeasure and disappointment is important. But really, at some point it's clear (or should be) that money talks too, and THAT'S the only thing companies will listen to regarding change.

• Like 1