Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Lottacruises

Lanyards - no joke

Recommended Posts

So we just received our platinum/diamond gift and it turned out to be those nifty lanyards that most felt JH or someone was joking about. Great stuff, I had enough tervis cups anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found it ironic too that they have them on about the 3rd day, giving us enough time to pick one up in the fun shop first.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I returned ours to guest services.  We don't do lanyards and we have never misplaced a Sail & Sign card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Alabaster Cruiser said:

Please don't take them to guest services or leave them on the ship.  I want them to run out of them!

That's funny.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Alabaster Cruiser said:

Please don't take them to guest services or leave them on the ship.  I want them to run out of them!

 

Carnival just announced that it will now charge $1 to punch a hole in a Sail & Sign card, but platinum and diamond guests will receive a $.50 discount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TEXSUN46 said:

Serious question....What would you expect them to give you? I am still just gold so obviously not as entitled as you are but just so I know to be properly offended when the time comes I really would like to know what in your estimation would proper trinket to receive for my loyalty. How does one get to platinum or diamond level yet have a negative view yet keep coming back to rack up the points. I don't know, the sense of entitlement may come with more cruises but at this point I have spent a few thousand for cruises with CCL and actually received a cruise for each one I paid for so I may be naive but I am thinking getting what I paid for is what I got for spending my thousands of dollars. Just so I am clear a person is allowed to make a negative remark but making a positive comment makes one a cheerleader? Attempts to disqualify counter points before they are made is evidence of a weak argument 😉 

How about more on board credit, how about a free shore excursion,  free gratuities,  more drinks, more specialty dining credits, casino play,  specialty coffees,  anything of real dollar value. Not a 99 cent lanyard, and priority for this or that which has no dollar value. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TEXSUN46 said:

Serious question....What would you expect them to give you? 

Rather than trinkets, maybe some free internet minutes, drink coupons, coffee coupons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Garth2 said:

 

Carnival just announced that it will now charge $1 to punch a hole in a Sail & Sign card, but platinum and diamond guests will receive a $.50 discount.

Even better I heard there is a separate hole punch line these guests can use instead of having to wait with the others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is my question: did you get cruises for all the days while accruing your status? If yes, then you had meals, entertainment, etc. Why is a gift required at this point. When is enough enough? I admire your status and hope to get there someday, but for me the fun of getting there will be all of the days on a ship, not for the gift at the end of the journey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, CruiseRonJulie said:

Here is my question: did you get cruises for all the days while accruing your status? If yes, then you had meals, entertainment, etc. Why is a gift required at this point. When is enough enough? I admire your status and hope to get there someday, but for me the fun of getting there will be all of the days on a ship, not for the gift at the end of the journey.

I don’t think it’s required, it’s just a nice gesture and a thank you. That’s true of anything. Getting awards at school or at work. Were those required? NO. Nothing is required for anything. It’s just something nice, and we sure need more of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then how about a Lanyard for Red, a tumbler for Gold, a watch for Diamond and a flat screen TV for Platinum?

I am only Gold and really appreciate a free drink. Not sure I could ask for more other than the best cruise Carnival can provide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

How about more on board credit, how about a free shore excursion,  free gratuities,  more drinks, more specialty dining credits, casino play,  specialty coffees,  anything of real dollar value. Not a 99 cent lanyard, and priority for this or that which has no dollar value. 

 

 

OBC works for everyone, lanyard is a joke, never wore one, never will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crzndeb said:

I don’t think it’s required, it’s just a nice gesture and a thank you. That’s true of anything. Getting awards at school or at work. Were those required? NO. Nothing is required for anything. It’s just something nice, and we sure need more of that.

 

But a majority of the P/D's who post about their free gifts do so to complain that they stink. So it's obvious those people don't appreciate the gesture. Those attitudes are the reason why Carnival execs have indicated that the company would rather build loyalty based on someone's enjoyment of a good product rather than the promise of free stuff. I don't blame them. And if they strive to make a great product in order to build loyalty, we all benefit from that.

 

If I were P/D, that gift would have no bearing on how much I enjoyed the cruise. And if I didn't want the lanyard, tumbler, blanket, or whatever, I'd probably randomly pick a blue/red/gold to give it to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, coevan said:

 

 

OBC works for everyone, lanyard is a joke, never wore one, never will

The plat diamond gift was always about something with Carnival logo on it that be be seen other places, never about reducing costs to the cruiser.  Some are better than others, the Lanyard will prob not go down in history as one of the best but there have been other bombs as well.  These are changed a few times a year, we will probably be discussing the next one in the fall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lottacruises said:

So we just received our platinum/diamond gift and it turned out to be those nifty lanyards that most felt JH or someone was joking about. Great stuff, I had enough tervis cups anyway.

 

The percentage of seasoned cruisers who are genuinely happy about getting a lanyard must be around 0.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't give a hoot about the lanyard and will leave it behind.  I do appreciate the free stuff Carnival throws our way.  To take it home and throw it away is a waste.  I'll leave it behind or gift it to a tablemate if it's something I don't care for.

Edited by fyree39

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

 

But a majority of the P/D's who post about their free gifts do so to complain that they stink. So it's obvious those people don't appreciate the gesture. Those attitudes are the reason why Carnival execs have indicated that the company would rather build loyalty based on someone's enjoyment of a good product rather than the promise of free stuff. I don't blame them. And if they strive to make a great product in order to build loyalty, we all benefit from that.

 

If I were P/D, that gift would have no bearing on how much I enjoyed the cruise. And if I didn't want the lanyard, tumbler, blanket, or whatever, I'd probably randomly pick a blue/red/gold to give it to.

 I've been Platinum for a long time.  I've never complained about the gift. Of course, I've been able to use some more than others. If I can't use the gift it is either given to someone or returned to guest services with a thank you very much, but I already have several of these items so please pass this along for the next cruise. I may be in the minority, but the other Platinum benefits are far more important to me (priority embarkation, debarkation, laundry, and GS line).  I cruise different lines. I cruise for the ship, itinerary, and product satisfaction. The loyalty level is secondary for me.  If the product quality falters then I will move on. It is true that we all benefit from an improved product. I think it would a mistake to abandon repeat cruisers. Hotels, airlines, and cruise lines need repeat customers along with the occasional newcomer. Just my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, coevan said:

 

× lanyard is a joke, never wore one, never will

Us too. Never have and never will. (45 Carnival cruises)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

I may be in the minority, but the other Platinum benefits are far more important to me (priority embarkation, debarkation, laundry, and GS line).  I cruise different lines. I cruise for the ship, itinerary, and product satisfaction. The loyalty level is secondary for me.  If the product quality falters then I will move on. It is true that we all benefit from an improved product. I think it would a mistake to abandon repeat cruisers. Hotels, airlines, and cruise lines need repeat customers along with the occasional newcomer. Just my opinion. 

Even hotels, airlines, and restaurants will give you something for free that's actually worth something if you frequent them enough. Could be a flight, meal, or a free room. Priority anything isn't worth one cent ........ and you have to spend thousands to get that nothingness. This isn't just the case on Carnival but most of the other lines as well as their loyalty benefits are a joke too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

This isn't just the case on Carnival but most of the other lines as well as their loyalty benefits are a joke too. 

But I do enjoy those 3 1/2 hours of drinks and the Cappuccino in the morning on Royal. 😉 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CruiseRonJulie said:

Then how about a Lanyard for Red, a tumbler for Gold, a watch for Diamond and a flat screen TV for Platinum?

I am only Gold and really appreciate a free drink. Not sure I could ask for more other than the best cruise Carnival can provide.

 

Depends on what watch, (Rolex maybe?) for Diamonds, should be the highest tiered reward and higher in value than the Platinum flat screen you are suggesting.

 

Loyalty programs are nice for repeat customers, and they should not be cheapened with trinkets like a lanyard.  Hotels give loyal customers free nights or upgraded rooms, and and one can fly free with an airlines' freq. flyer program.  A lanyard? Gimmee a break.

 

I get 2 free specialty dinners every cruise for acheiving 80 days Platinum on NCL.  I think after 300 nights on Carnival I was rewarded with a specialty Steakhouse meal once.  I do get to go to the Captain's Brunch if there are enough other Diamonds on board.

 

Lanyard?  I would just give mine away to a red or blue card who would appreciate it and use it more than I would.

Edited by evandbob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who doesn't generally complain about free stuff, they almost should give no gift at all vs a lanyard. "What did you earn for your loyalty? Oh a lanyard, I'm jealous"

 

I did think a lot of the other things were cool. Blanket, headphones, tumbler. People will still complain no matter what.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It' a gift. You say thank you and move on.

 

Carnival is a business with budgets. Gifts are only going to get less expensive as the numbers of P/D cruisers increases. People are nuts if they think Carnival is going to hand out cash, although I don't doubt Carnival really could hand out Diamonds and some would complain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...