Photo ID

Blue Midget

Hi all,

Not sailed on HAL before but been on RCCL a few times. We're sailing on Koningsdam this summer and I've just been reading through the 'boarding pass.' That seems to say that to get on and off ship you need your HAL card AND a government issued form of photo ID each time. Is this still the case? On RCCL all you needed was your seapass / room key card as your photo appeared on security screens when it was scanned. They did suggest also taking a photocopy of your passport although in practice this was never required in Europe. I've copied the HAL section below.

Passport & Additional ID
On special itineraries, the Front Office on board may require the
collection of passports for cruises that travel from country to
country to prepare for immigration formalities. You will receive a
passport receipt upon collection of your passport, and will be
advised on board when the passports will be redistributed.
We recommend bringing an additional government-issued photo
identification since shore side security requires a photo ID when
getting on and off the ship. A photocopy of the picture ID is not
acceptable.

Does this only apply to 'special itineraries' (whatever they are....) or do you need to have a passport / photo driving licence with you each time you get on and off the ship?

Thx

Brian

Sometimes ports have required a photo ID in addition to the key card in order to access the port area. Port security doesn't have access to your ship photo. 

Roz 

• Like 1

To reboard the ship you need your cruise card.  Your picture shows up on the computer screen when the card is scanned.  However, some ports require a photo id when returning to the ship as you go through port security.  We've been requited at various times to show a driver's license, photo copy of our passport picture page, and in some cases the actual passport.  There a some countries  that require you to carry your passport with you on shore.

In both Europe and Asia in the last two years, we were required to have a passport inspection to leave the ship in some ports.  We have had to show our passport when returning to the ship in a few ports.   In other ports, the ship would collect the passports and have them available for the port authorities when the ship was going through clearance.

The above is why HAL and most cruise lines say you need your cruise card and a photo id when returning to the ship.  It is a good idea to carry both, not only for returning to the ship, but in case of an accident or emergency ashore.  The ship usually sends a letter to your cabin and/or prints special requirements in the daily program.

I have a Global Entry card. I use it for onshore ID. Or sometimes my driver's license.

You may be able to get the passport back temporarily for the day, ask at the front desk. Once I needed it to rent a car for the day, gave back my receipt and we exchanged,

I believe in most all of the World your might visit on a cruise, you are required to carry and show a photo id to various law enforcement personal on request. This could be border security, local/state/federal police, etc.. Its always prudent to have a proof of identity with you when visiting a foreign country. In additional to our DLs we carry miniaturized copies of our passport info page with us. I reduced both DW and mine to about CC size, put them back2back and then laminate them. In to the wallet they go. Came in handy once in Argentina, when they wanted our PP info to exchange some money. Since I had it with me, did not need to go back to the hotel. 

• Like 1

Thanks for replies all. Carrying a colour photocopy of passport photo page is not a problem but I'd rather not carry my actual passport round with me all the time if I can help it if for no other reason than risk of loss of theft. Unfortunately my drivers licence is not a photocard so that's not an option.

When the port is in your home country, your ship card is fine, but don't you usually walk around with at least some kind of ID in your wallet? Your driver's license? Something?

If the port is in a country that is foreign to you, it just makes sense to have your passport with you... this isn't exclusive to cruising... it's just basic travel safety and common sense. 

The ship card is just for getting off and on the ship- it won't help you much in any incident on land, and if the VERY unlikely happened and you "missed" the ship leaving for the next port of call, you certainly don't want to be stranded with nothing but your room key!

Drivers license is fiNE  and yes, you must have  a government issued photo id to enter the port area in many port.  that is local security. 

You only need your ship key card to  reboard  the  ship

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 1