Question: Does Azamara provide complimentary bus service to distant "port" city?

tassocat

My wife and I are traveling on Azamara in November on Pursuit where one of the ports is "Motril/Granada" Spain.  The ship docks in Motril, but Granada is a little over 1 hour by car away.  We have asked Azamara, but they have not given a definitive answer.  Do they provide shuttle buses to Granada?  If so, what is the setup.  Do they run on a schedule basis?  Or do you sign up for a specific departure and return time?  Is there a cost or is it complimentary?

Since the description of the port goes into great detail about the must see Granada, it seems like they should at least get you to the city in description.

Thanks for any insight.

TassoCat

Usually when it is that far away, they have a “(City) on your own” shore excursion that is just the transportation but not a complimentary shuttle.  For example, on our upcoming cruise both Glasgow and Londonderry have those rather than the shuttle.

10 minutes ago, tassocat said:

My wife and I are traveling on Azamara in November on Pursuit where one of the ports is "Motril/Granada" Spain.  The ship docks in Motril, but Granada is a little over 1 hour by car away.  We have asked Azamara, but they have not given a definitive answer.  Do they provide shuttle buses to Granada?  If so, what is the setup.  Do they run on a schedule basis?  Or do you sign up for a specific departure and return time?  Is there a cost or is it complimentary?

Since the description of the port goes into great detail about the must see Granada, it seems like they should at least get you to the city in description.

Thanks for any insight.

TassoCat

Very unlikely to provide a shuttle to Granada, they will offer chargeable shore trips.

Shuttles are only provided from port areas into local towns when not walkable.

Edited by Bloodaxe

2 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Very unlikely to provide a shuttle to Granada, they will offer chargeable shore trips.

Shuttles are only provided from port areas into local towns when not walkable.

Based on our recent experience on the Pursuit, I would correct this to say "Shuttles are sometimes provided from port areas into local towns when not walkable".

One of our stops was Giardini Naxos, Sicily. It's a port town, not far from Taormina which is the destination for this stop.  Taormina is definitely not walkable from the port, unless you have hiking boots and lots of time (and stamina).  Shuttles were not provided by Azamara. We were told that the influential Taxi Union was able to shut down shuttle services at the cruise terminal, to the benefit of the local taxi drivers.  I don't know if this is applicable to all cruise lines calling on Taormina, or if Azamara decided not to make suitable 'arrangement$' in advance with the local authorities...

We noticed a similar $ubstitution of transport $ervices at the next port, Siracusa. Half of the tender journeys were made by one of the ship's tenders, and half by a local boat.  I was told that this was part of the arrangement$ made with the local authorities. The tender ride on the local boat was actually quite pleasant, with nice views of the harbor and old town.

Siracusa.jpg

16 minutes ago, screen-gem said:

Based on our recent experience on the Pursuit, I would correct this to say "Shuttles are sometimes provided from port areas into local towns when not walkable".

One of our stops was Giardini Naxos, Sicily. It's a port town, not far from Taormina which is the destination for this stop.  Taormina is definitely not walkable from the port, unless you have hiking boots and lots of time (and stamina).  Shuttles were not provided by Azamara. We were told that the influential Taxi Union was able to shut down shuttle services at the cruise terminal, to the benefit of the local taxi drivers.  I don't know if this is applicable to all cruise lines calling on Taormina, or if Azamara decided not to make suitable 'arrangement$' in advance with the local authorities...

We noticed a similar $ubstitution of transport $ervices at the next port, Siracusa. Half of the tender journeys were made by one of the ship's tenders, and half by a local boat.  I was told that this was part of the arrangement$ made with the local authorities. The tender ride on the local boat was actually quite pleasant, with nice views of the harbor and old town.

Siracusa.jpg

You are correct, some ports do not allow cruise line shuttles, Gibraltar for example.

Santorini is another port that do not allow the ship to operetta tenders.

Edited by Bloodaxe

There are some ports where the ship docks where you want to be. Unfortunately, many ships dock away from where you want to be. Do your homework before you sail. Shuttles are often a mystery.  There are many shuttles that are sponsored by the port. They get you to a really good location where it is easy to walk or connect using tram/metro to get to major points of interest. Some ports have tourist info in the terminal. Some are able to board the ship.  Ports that are really far from the port are a challenge. Have a good idea of how to get to where you want to go. Know train or bus schedules. Do not rely on getting info on the ship. Shore excursion reps may not know the port. They want to sell ship excursions.  Take time before you sail to get info that may be helpful. Ask questions on travel forums like TripAdvisor. 

On some of our recent Journey shuttles I was impressed to see that they had a local agent at the drop off point to provide guidance as to nearby sites or how to link to transit.  

Before you disembark there are often maps and written descriptions. The agent can use the map to make instructions clear.

The agent is also available to ensure that you are at the correct location to return to the ship.

11 hours ago, tassocat said:

Thanks for any insight.

TassoCat

Azamara is getting you to the city in the port description - Motril.  Many cruise lines advertise the ideal city for the port (e.g., Civitavecchia (Rome)) but it's really the port that they would/should offer a free shuttle for you to get to the city centre of if the ship doesn't dock or anchor right there.

For example, for Buenos Aires, the port is industrial and a bit far from the central area of BsAs so there is a free shuttle for you to a convenient starting off point.  Also, if you're in Dubrovnik and dock instead of tender directly into the old town, they really should be offering a free shuttle to the old town, which I understand Azamara does.

I would not expect Azamara to be offering a free shuttle from Motril to Granada, like they (reasonably) would not from Santos to Sao Paolo or from Greenock to Glasgow.

One hour away is a reasonable distance to feature the ideal city for the port; sometimes there is a stop at Malaga and they put (Granada) in brackets which while technically possible is a bit of a stretch, like for one of the German ports and listing Berlin.

Edited by ShopperfiendTO

9 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

You are correct, some ports do not allow cruise line shuttles, Gibraltar for example.

Santorini is another port that do not allow the ship to operetta tenders.

Was this a Freudian slip??

LOL!!

DON