Cruising from Cape Liberty (NJ) - rough seas in June?

Looking at taking a cruise out of Cape Liberty next June.   We've never sailed out of NY/NJ and come down the Atlantic coast.  Are the seas typically rougher than sailing from Florida and doing the Caribbean?  I know it's hurricane season, so take out the remote odds of an early hurricane.  Just curious as to whether the waters are any rougher or not based on your experience.   Thanks in advance

I've sailed out of NY/NJ numerous times over the years, in all seasons including the dead of winter, and have never experienced rough seas.  That doesn't mean it never happens, and I've probably been lucky, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Seas in the Caribbean can be rough too, sometimes, if there is a hurricane brewing thousands of miles away.

That really depends on the weather.  I've sailed from NY twice, both in April, once was rough and once was smooth.  The smooth trip was down the coast, probably the same trip you're doing but don't take my experience as what will happen on your trip.

Been out of NJ many times, including several in June.  In general, the seas are fine.  You can check on wave forecasts at available weather sites, including http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=natla_height.  At the moment, seas out of the Sandy Hook New York area are around 2 to 4 feet, which is next to nothing for a large cruise ship.  There will be times when weather fronts roll off the eastern seaboard and bring the seas up a bit.  You can see an example of that in the above forecast.  These do not tend to be that significant, especially if your course is keeping you close to the coast.  Cruise ships handle 8 foot seas without a lot of problems, depending on the angle of the waves striking the ship and the performance of its stabilizers.  You also may experience some roughness as you cross the Gulf Stream about 200 miles out from Cape Liberty.  Occasionally this can rock the ship enough to notice.  Of course, tropical weather can present completely different impacts.

Personally, I like a little slosh in my pool.  

/Greg

You can never predict sea conditions but I've also sailed from Cape Liberty several different times of the year and never experienced unusually rough seas.  That includes a September Bermuda cruise when a hurricane was trailing us on the way back.

I have sailed out of NY/NJ in March, May, and June....I only experienced rough seas one time and it was on the way back to NJ.  The crew said that sometimes it is rough when going from warm to cooler waters- this cruise was in March.  I have kept my cruises out of NY/NJ limited to May-June and have not had one issue with rough seas!  I guess I am lucky, because you can never predict what the weather is going to be, but so far-so good!

Any storm can cause rough seas.   Our worst cruise for rough seas was at the end of October.  The Captain said the seas were 3 to 5 meters.  I thought it was fun.  Ships are supposed to rock although a lot of activities and shows were getting cancelled.

We’ve sailed from Cape Liberty and the Atlantic can be rough. Just start taking some motion sickness medicine the day before and you’ll be fine compared to people who say they never get Sea Sick. We did a cruise in January and found the buffet empty at breakfast and it was great watching 30’ waves hit the ship. On one cruise the ship skirted a hurricane and I went up to the pool area to do some video and found people out in 60mph wind trying to smoke.

Just be prepared and the weather won’t be a big problem.

We did Anthem in February last year with smooth seas. We've done Celebrity Summit twice in May. First time smooth, last month high seas on the way down - 12 -15 feet. Luckily we are fine when the ship rocks.

For years I wouldnt sail from New York because always feared rough seas and I tend to get seasick. I've always wanted to go to Bermuda so finally decided to try it. I'm glad I did. The seas were fine. I've sailed out of New York and NJ in September and twice in October.   I have another cruise booked for September 2020 out of Bayonne again. No more worries!

Edited by lauren0309

We sailed last week out to Bermuda (not down the coast), and seas were just fine. Highest waves, I believe they said, were 7-8 ft. We could feel the side-to-side movement at that point (and saw the pools sloshing around), but nothing that bothered anyone in our party, including those who are more sensitive.