Stop removing tips

I think it is time for Carnival to make it near impossible to remove the gratuities. I have read all of the excuses people give and I believe they are just looking for a reason to not tip:

1. The crew doesn't get the tips (do you really think that after all this time, we would not have heard this?0

2. I like to tip in cash (yeah, and I am sure you track down the laundry people and those at the Lido Buffet to tip them)

3. I think tipping should not be mandated

4. Insert another reason here:  the crew doesn't speak English, I didn't get a chocolate on my pillow, I only got a Lanyard, etc.

Please if you are just looking for a way to stiff the crew, be honest and just say "I want to keep my $14.00.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CruiseRonJulie said:

I think it is time for Carnival to make it near impossible to remove the gratuities. I have read all of the excuses people give and I believe they are just looking for a reason to not tip:

1. The crew doesn't get the tips (do you really think that after all this time, we would not have heard this?0

2. I like to tip in cash (yeah, and I am sure you track down the laundry people and those at the Lido Buffet to tip them)

4. Insert another reason here:  the crew doesn't speak English, I didn't get a chocolate on my pillow, I only got a Lanyard, etc.

Please if you are just looking for a way to stiff the crew, be honest and just say "I want to keep my $14.00.

Suppose my argument is, "I just didn't like the service given to me." What would be your counter? Following, as this will get heated. 

• Like 9

If there is a problem with the service, a person should give Carnival a chance to correct the problem.  People are going to guest services at the end of the cruise and complaining about the service.  If you don't give Carnival a chance to make it right, then you should not be able to remove the gratuities.  And "I just didn't like the service given to me" is about as vague as one can get.  Again, give Carnival a chance to make it right before just removing the gratuities.

• Like 13

If your service is not up to par, then by all means you should have the ability to lower or remove tips. That is why I said it should be "near impossible" to remove them. I would never tell anyone who was treated rudely or had a bad experience otherwise. However, I am speaking to those to remove or lower tips as a standard practice.

• Like 3

The one time it really got to me was when it was someone I knew.  Their arguments were "it's too expensive for a family, the youngest doesn't care about service so why should I tip for him, I'd rather give more to my room steward (and the "more" amount was significantly less than prepaid gratuities were), and real cruisers don't tip."  This person also came back amazed at how hard the crew works.  I was at a loss for words on that.  

If it were up to me, tips could be reduced/removed after you returned home, but you'd need to write a letter- not an email, not a phone call- explaining why.  People could still make up reasons for removing tips, but I think you'd reduce the number of people who removed just to lower their overall bill, because that would still need to be paid before leaving the ship.  Also, people tend to get off the ship and get caught up in daily life, so if you really wanted to remove tips, you'd have to put forth some effort.  Not everyone will agree, it's not up to me, so just my idea which is probably worth less than 2 cents. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, CruiseRonJulie said:

If your service is not up to par, then by all means you should have the ability to lower or remove tips. That is why I said it should be "near impossible" to remove them. I would never tell anyone who was treated rudely or had a bad experience otherwise. However, I am speaking to those to remove or lower tips as a standard practice.

Okay, before I start an argument, what a newby cruiser didn't realize you had to tip and didn't set out the money to tip? Just a thought, as I am sure this came up once or twice. 

13 minutes ago, purplephenom said:

The one time it really got to me was when it was someone I knew.  Their arguments were "it's too expensive for a family, the youngest doesn't care about service so why should I tip for him, I'd rather give more to my room steward (and the "more" amount was significantly less than prepaid gratuities were), and real cruisers don't tip."  This person also came back amazed at how hard the crew works.  I was at a loss for words on that.  

If it were up to me, tips could be reduced/removed after you returned home, but you'd need to write a letter- not an email, not a phone call- explaining why.  People could still make up reasons for removing tips, but I think you'd reduce the number of people who removed just to lower their overall bill, because that would still need to be paid before leaving the ship.  Also, people tend to get off the ship and get caught up in daily life, so if you really wanted to remove tips, you'd have to put forth some effort.  Not everyone will agree, it's not up to me, so just my idea which is probably worth less than 2 cents. 

NCL makes people wait till home to receive the refund of their auto-grats, but they must fill out a form at Guest Services prior to debarking. They started this practice 2 or 3 years ago and there was such an uproar on the forum at first, but now you just see the occasional complaint about it taking 3-6 weeks to get the check (cash accounts) or 2-3 billing cycles to see the charge reversal on their card/bank statement.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, purplephenom said:

I like that, but I would add a requirement that the issue that caused you to remove the tips be on record as reported to the Front Desk in close proximity to when it happened.  "My waiters weren't attentive" should have been addressed the first time it happened. It is my belief that most of the "issues" are made up and requiring a record of reporting them would help reduce or eliminate the BS claims.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, hotsauce126 said:

I always see people complaining about those that remove their tips but rarely see anyone actually say that they remove their tips 

They rarely admit to it.  But if you ever had to go to Guest Services on the last morning to resolve an issue on your folio, you can stand behind the LONG line and listen as they go up and pull their tips for lame reasons.  This, of course, after they left their cabin and the smiling steward wishing them a safe trip home, not knowing they are about to lose $.

Edited by K&RCurt
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, K&RCurt said:

They rarely admit to it.  But if you ever had to go to Guest Services on the last morning to resolve an issue on your folio, you can stand behind the LONG line and listen as they go up and pull their tips for lame reasons.  This, of course, after they left their cabin and the smiling steward wishing them a safe trip home, not knowing they are about to lose $.

K&RCurt: You are so right. 

Perhaps it would work better if they just raised the cruise price to include the tips?

That's what they do on Carnival Australia.

I agree that the crew really depends on the money and there should be some way for them to be assured to get it.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, hotsauce126 said:

I always see people complaining about those that remove their tips but rarely see anyone actually say that they remove their tips 

No one is going to come on here and admit to being cheap.  I cruised with someone who claimed to "tip in cash" because they didn't go to the MDR.  Well, they did go to the MDR twice so those people lost out on tips.  The people behind the scenes probably lose out as well.  Maybe a better way would be to choose where you want to remove tips...for example, remove tips for just the MDR, etc.  Either that or Carnival can change the pre-paid gratuities to a non-refundable service charge.

One thing to remember though...tipping only works to keep good service if there is a chance they can lose it...or make more.  

These posts always make me chuckle.  Why on earth do you think that what others do (or don't do) is any of your business or concern.  It also makes me chuckle when folks are bullied by some internet keyboard warriors.  If I wanted to be cheap, I certainly would not be afraid to say so on some internet forum.  It's my money, I worked for it and I under no circumstances would care what you thought about how I did (or did not) spend it.

Having said the above, I have never removed tips.  We've had bad service before, but never to the point that it made me so mad I would waste valuable vacation time standing in a line to remove or reduce the small tip amount.

For the life of me, I really just don't understand why people would think other's tipping practices are any of their concern.  Folks really should take a step back and think about how they would like to be "scolded" by some meatball internet forum member, for doing something that they didn't like (and that had no impact whatsoever on their enjoyment of a cruise).

• Like 27

3 minutes ago, jppmp said:

Why on earth do you think that what others do (or don't do) is any of your business or concern.  It also makes me chuckle when folks are bullied by some internet keyboard warriors.

3 minutes ago, jppmp said:

I certainly would not be afraid to say so on some internet forum.

4 minutes ago, jppmp said:

Folks really should take a step back and think about how they would like to be "scolded" by some meatball internet forum member, for doing something that they didn't like (and that had no impact whatsoever on their enjoyment of a cruise).

Can't tell if serious, or satire.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CruiseRonJulie said:

This is beaten to death several times over here.   People will do what they want and nothing anyone says will change someone else's mind.   It really is between the cruiser and their staff, and tips are personal. 

Unless Carnival wants to change it from optional to mandatory, there is nothing anyone else can do....and they have stated several times that it is not changing.

• Like 1

Ever go to a restaurant in the US with a big party, say 10+ and had a gratuity automatically added to your bill at 18 to 20%?

Even if you ask for the manager, do you think they would let you remove it?  Not hardly.  Should be the same on a cruise ship.

Though I am also a proponent that we as a society in the USA, quit playing his TIP game, along with all the other nickle and dime service charges, resort fees, technology fee, etc and take a page from Europeans and, only have one price, the bottom line with no other charges allowed.  Will this raise prices or at least our perception of them, yes but your actual cost will still be the same and be up front.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hotsauce126 said:

I'm willing to bet that a good amount of people on Cruise Critic who complain about the tip removers the most are in fact the ones secretly removing their tips on the last night of the cruise. They just need to protect their online imagine 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

I'm willing to bet that a good amount of people on Cruise Critic who complain about the tip removers the most are in fact the ones secretly removing their tips on the last night of the cruise. They just need to protect their online imagine 🙂

My mother raised me and put sent me to college working as a waitress. I can assure you that I never remove tips.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

I would think most are too embarrassed to admit it. You do see some on here. I've heard them talk about it on the ship. One guy I met in the Sports Bar was really proud of it. Same guy was getting girls drinks on his Cheers program. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mook1525 said:

cruised only twice so far.

.....I didn't even know removing tip is possible until now 😅

That is the funny part...a lot of people don't find out you can do it until they read this posts about not doing it  LOL

They really backfire on these type of posters

• Like 4