Tender ports on British Isles?

Infi

I'm doing some research for our upcoming cruise to the British Isles on Rotterdam and am hoping some recent cruisers or port experts can confirm which of the following are tender ports. I've reviewed our itinerary against the tender port list on HAL's site, but am a bit wary of its accuracy, as it also lists several ports that I know have piers. Here's my summary thus far:

Portland (Weymouth), UK

St. Peter Port, Guernsey - tender

Falmouth, England, UK

Ilfracombe, England, UK - tender

Liverpool, England, UK

Dublin, Ireland

Portree (Isle of Skye), Scotland - tender

Kirkwall, Scotland

Invergordon (Inverness), Scotland

South Queensferry (Edinburgh), Scotland - tender

Many thanks in advance, all.

Edited by Infi

Just wanted to add - if anyone has any information about the gangways/accessibility in any of the non-tender ports, it would be much appreciated. Thinking specifically of steep gangways and wheelchair accessibility, which can be difficult depending on the port. 

Are you really going to tender in Edinburgh? I'm surprised at that, as it a major shipyard port for the Royal Navy. Or is South Queensbury a different area from Rosyth?

Edited by drowelf

Recently tendered in Portree … be aware there is a steep hill from the pier up to the town, only a small street with some pubs/etc down below … and very little room for vehicles to come down and get anyone.  I think you would have to arrange that in advance.

Edited by Lady Chew
  • Thanks 1

St. Peter Port, Guernsey, is also a tender port.  The tender dock is close to town, and if I remember correctly it is a fairly level walk into town.  The downtown area is on a hill, so some of the streets are steep.

Portland (Weymouth), UK, Liverpool, England, UK, Dublin, Ireland, Kirkwall, Scotland, and Invergordon (Inverness), Scotland, are all ports where you dock.  We were in all these ports in 2017 on the Prinsendam.  I believe in all these ports the gangway was on deck four, which was the lowest deck for leaving the Prinsendam.

In Portland, there was a shuttle to Weymouth.  In Dubllin and Kirkwall there were shuttles into town.  The dock in Liverpool is downtown as is the one for Invergordon.  However, Invergordon is the port for Inverness, which is quite a ways from Invergordon.  The town of Invergordon is not very big but the downtown area is interesting with a museum, a few shops and the library for internet..  The the main street (or high street) is on a cliff above the port.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, drowelf said:

Are you really going to tender in Edinburgh? I'm surprised at that, as it a major shipyard port for the Royal Navy. Or is South Queensbury a different area from Rosyth?

South Queensferry is the port which serves Edinburgh. I was just there on the Zuiderdam last month. It certainly is a tender port.

16 hours ago, Infi said:

. Thinking specifically of steep gangways and wheelchair accessibility, which can be difficult depending on the port. 

The waters around the British Isles are quite tidal so there will be a lot of difference between high water and low water. However the crew at the gangways are always willing and able to assist wheelchair passengers using the gangways.

On 6/25/2019 at 5:25 PM, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

St. Peter Port, Guernsey, is also a tender port.  The tender dock is close to town, and if I remember correctly it is a fairly level walk into town.  The downtown area is on a hill, so some of the streets are steep.

Portland (Weymouth), UK, Liverpool, England, UK, Dublin, Ireland, Kirkwall, Scotland, and Invergordon (Inverness), Scotland, are all ports where you dock.  We were in all these ports in 2017 on the Prinsendam.  I believe in all these ports the gangway was on deck four, which was the lowest deck for leaving the Prinsendam.

In Portland, there was a shuttle to Weymouth.  In Dubllin and Kirkwall there were shuttles into town.  The dock in Liverpool is downtown as is the one for Invergordon.  However, Invergordon is the port for Inverness, which is quite a ways from Invergordon.  The town of Invergordon is not very big but the downtown area is interesting with a museum, a few shops and the library for internet..  The the main street (or high street) is on a cliff above the port.

Many thanks to all for the replies, I greatly appreciate it. Special thanks to Quartzsite Cruiser for this informative post detailing all the ports - extremely helpful for our planning.

we went to many of these ports when we took this trip last summer.Just to let you know,the ramps that are put up to the boat at the ports that aren't tendered are very steep and narrow,so be careful when you get off the ship.

On 6/25/2019 at 5:25 PM, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Definitely an easy walk into town and to some of the historic sites in town. The main bus terminal is just to the left as you come off the tender dock area. You can take a tour around the island on the bus for 5 Pounds. Its quite a pretty location. If your into any WWII History, the German Occupation Museum is a must do. Its an easy Bus Ride and then about a .5 mile walk to reach it.  As stated some areas of the town up up some steep streets, but other areas are an easy walk. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I checked the Falmouth cruise schedule and it indicates the MS Rotterdam will anchor.

Thus I expect to tender in Falmouth as well.

Does anybody did tender in Falmouth (Cornwall) before and can give a hint on where the tender boats will dock in the city?

The Falmouth port site indicates a quite long tender of 30 min.

regards

MBerry

2 hours ago, MouseBerry said:

Hi,

I checked the Falmouth cruise schedule and it indicates the MS Rotterdam will anchor.

Thus I expect to tender in Falmouth as well.

Does anybody did tender in Falmouth (Cornwall) before and can give a hint on where the tender boats will dock in the city?

The Falmouth port site indicates a quite long tender of 30 min.

regards

MBerry

We were just in Falmouth on one the Prinsendam’s last cruises and we docked. But then the Prinsendam is a small ship. The dock is right in town. Falmouth is nice, but most of the major attractions are out of town. There is a ferry that goes across the bay. So if you decide to see Falmouth, you could go across the bay and see the town on the other side.

Check out What’s in Port link below:

https://www.whatsinport.com/Falmouth.htm