Dining Room - Dress Code Enforcement

w.brooks29

Hello, all!

My husband and I are cruising on Celebrity for the first time (Equinox) and are excited to try a new cruise line. I have done some research regarding dress code at dinner in the MDR. It seems that they prefer that you do NOT wear shorts or flip flops at dinner in the MDR. Is this something that is actually enforced? Will we be asked to leave and change into pants and closed toed shoes? We also cruised on Symphony of the Seas at the beginning of June and wore shorts and flip flops (with a nice, button-down shirt) to dinner each night with no problem. 

I'm definitely willing to wear pants and closed-toed shoes, however I am always WAY more comfortable in shorts and flip flops -- especially in the hot Caribbean weather. Just curious if anyone has insight into the enforcement of the Celebrity dress code. 

Thanks, all!

Others will definitely respond with varying (and probably heated!) opinions, but I just want to point out that 'no flip-flops' doesn't mean you must wear closed toe shoes.    Many sandals are perfectly acceptable in the dining room.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You will get mixed responses but many posters including myself have seen passengers politely turned away from the restaurants for wearing shorts with men being asked to wear trousers and ladies, a skirt, dress or long pants.  Footwear is a bit more debatable although we have seem a couple politely turned away for wearing basic flip flops (Havaiana type).  Seems to vary by destination too and also the Hotel Director/Maitre D .  Hard to say what might happen on your sailing

Also it is not Celebrity’s “preference” ..... it is their policy to be adhered to.

Edited by Toftwood
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Oh no....

I can't take another dress code thread..esp with one already going strong My standard reply will be the following:

Dear OP...

No shorts or flip flop pool shoes are permitted for dinner on X in  the dining rms..other than buffet....unless your luggage is delayed on the first night.  It is not a preference but a rule. Some would wish otherwise or maybe they  do get away with a breach but that it not what you asked.

You can search Cruise Critic for many  dress code threads, including the current active one, link below. Many suggestions for ladies men young boys and teens.

Celebrity is not Royal C...not yet anyhow! 

Link to current shorts, dress code thread

Edited by hcat
  • Thanks 1

W.Brooks, What is common on other lines you have sailed on isn’t relevant.  Celebrity has a dress code.  You know what it is.  You know there is an alternative if you want to wear shorts.  We would be mortified if we were turned awayfrom the dining room, and I suspect you would be, too

Edited by Alakegirl
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, w.brooks29 said:

Hello, all!

My husband and I are cruising on Celebrity for the first time (Equinox) and are excited to try a new cruise line. I have done some research regarding dress code at dinner in the MDR. It seems that they prefer that you do NOT wear shorts or flip flops at dinner in the MDR. Is this something that is actually enforced? Will we be asked to leave and change into pants and closed toed shoes? We also cruised on Symphony of the Seas at the beginning of June and wore shorts and flip flops (with a nice, button-down shirt) to dinner each night with no problem. 

I'm definitely willing to wear pants and closed-toed shoes, however I am always WAY more comfortable in shorts and flip flops -- especially in the hot Caribbean weather. Just curious if anyone has insight into the enforcement of the Celebrity dress code. 

Thanks, all!

We have seen people turned away for wearing shorts.  Also, some have been  turned away wearing those rubbery flip flops.  Open toe sandals appear to be ok.   It is embarrassing to be called out and have to return to your room to change and then get in line once again.  The evening  dress code is cited in the Daily.    If you want to eat in shorts, you always have the option of dining at the buffet.  But even there, few wear shorts in the evening.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all (well most) for quick and helpful responses - that was just what I was looking for! I am aware that there are dress code differences on every line, but there are also enforcement differences, which is what I was interested in. 

Just curious why people get so easily annoyed in forums like this when someone dares to ask a question looking for a specific answer.... if you don't want to see another dress code thread, then don't read them (or reply in them). Sometimes searching for topics doesn't always find exactly what you are looking for, which is why people turn to community forums such as this. No need for animosity, in my opinion. 

Thanks again!

• Like 12

Part of what I like about cruising is the opportunity to dress up and enjoy an elegant evening meal.  To that end, I expect my fellow passengers to show me and others the courtesy of following the stated dress code in the main and specialty dining rooms.  The dress code is there to ensure that a more formal atmosphere is maintained in these venues.  If passengers want to dress like they're going to their local Applebees or Dennys, they should go to the buffet. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

W.Brooks. As you continue to hang around this board, you will see that a few minutes perusing the board will reveal the answers to about 90% of your questions.  The search feature is very useful, but just going back over the most six or seven pages may find relevant discussion

Edited by Alakegirl
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, w.brooks29 said:

Hello, all!

It seems that they prefer that you do NOT wear shorts or flip flops at dinner in the MDR. Is this something that is actually enforced? Will we be asked to leave and change into pants and closed toed shoes?

Thanks, all!

I have witnessed ladies in shorts getting admitted while gents with hairy legs get turned around by the gatekeepers.  By the way, there is no hot Caribbean weather in any Celebrity dining room.  On the first evening, shorts are overlooked because so many pax may as yet not have received their luggage.  As always, we believe that one should always follow the "suggestions" posted for the dress code of the evening and wonder why so many feel that they are exempt. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There was no enforcement earlier this year on infinity, I prefer a dress code to be enforced but I would bet shorts would be ok. At least some of the people saying you can not wear them have not cruised this year.  But overwhelmingly majority will not wear shorts for dinner in mdr.

Two years ago on Celebrity both my husband and adult son were turned away from the MDR for wearing nice Bermuda shorts with shoes and socks.  Both went back to their respective cabins and changed.  Adult son was more upset than husband, but neither was mortified at being turned away.  It's nice getting dressed up and seeing other passengers respecting the dress code too.  I enjoy dressing up somewhat.  On RCL we saw men WITHOUT SHIRTS eating at the buffet (GAG!!!!).  Decided then never to sail on RCL after that.  And previously we had loved RCL.  It seems if you relax the dress code, some passengers take it to the extreme.  Please don't shoot me for my opinion.  😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, keesar said:

We have seen people turned away for wearing shorts.  Also, some have been  turned away wearing those rubbery flip flops.  Open toe sandals appear to be ok.   It is embarrassing to be called out and have to return to your room to change and then get in line once again.  The evening  dress code is cited in the Daily.    If you want to eat in shorts, you always have the option of dining at the buffet.  But even there, few wear shorts in the evening.

usually  we see casual capris/ jeans in buffet for ladies and  jeans or pants for guys..  but if you  want to do a  casual night, shorts  are 100 % okay at the buffet.   We usually take a night off to do the buffet...

Almost no one changes into shorts after mdr dinner for shows, unless heading to the gym Sunset bar or pool deck..

BTW...There was a current active thread on the same page as this one that was titled "Shorts in Dining Room"

Edited by hcat

The dress code on Celebrity has gotten more relaxed over the years. No more formal nights, lots of men don't even wear a sport coat for Elegant Chic nights. Nice jeans are fine now for men and women, where a few years ago that wasn't done. But they still seem to be holding the line on the No Shorts at dinner rule. In all my Celebrity cruises, I can't recall more than 1 or 2 instances of seeing men in shorts in the DR, and that includes the first night. I of course have no idea of how many were turned away. But to the OP --- if for some reason you do get away with it, you will be in the distinct minority. There are other cruise lines where it is fine, but Celebrity has a more elegant ambiance in the evenings than those other lines.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Husky61 said:

I was once turned away and was not mortified in the least.😲

There are some people who enjoy making a mountain out of a molehill,  overreacting with a big, dramatic production about being "mortified" or "embarrassed" as though an announcement will made on the PA system:

- - Attention, your attention please everyone.  I apologize for interrupting your dinner, but at this time I must request that everyone turn to hiss, boo and glare at Husky61 who will be publicly flogged and banished for trying to wear xxxxxx to the dining room.

In reality, all that will happens is that the person may quietly be asked to change clothes, do so, return 5 minutes later and be seated with the rest of his party. 

Unless the person chooses to make a big fuss about it, nobody else will care in the slightest (well, except perhaps for the self-appointed fashion police).

Edited by varoo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1