Dining Room - Dress Code Enforcement

w.brooks29

2 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

There are plenty of people who will feel out of place if they are overdressed for the room, so I don't agree with those who say "wear what you want."  I'd go middle of the road rather than super fancy.  

Yes, there are those who will feel out of place, yet many of us do not as we do enjoy dressing up. I Am thinking of bringing my tuxedo for our inaugural sailing on The Edge, I Am assured that I will be the only one in our party to do so, yet it is fine with me.

Dress up and feel special that one night!

Bon voyage

• Like 2

On 6/25/2019 at 7:16 PM, ipeeinthepool said:

Other than an incident described on another thread there was a reference to some young women that were scantily dressed, does anyone ever remember a woman being turned away from the MDR for wearing something that was not allowed by the published rules.

‘Were the scantily clad young women “working” on the cruise?    I have seen a few women who were dressed as the working girls dress in NYC.   Don’t know if Celebrity turns a blind eye to this type of worker or if they put them off the ship if discovered.

3 hours ago, UnorigionalName said:

The amusing this is that American's don't really know dress codes and suite/tie is actually technically informal.  

Americans are trying to emulate the trans-atlantic liners of the past with formal dinners, but I wonder if the people clinging on to this vestige of the past realize that they themselves have already degraded the level of dress by a step or  2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_dress_codes 

People are trying to hold on to a feel or look of times gone by, but times have changed.  Europe has become egalitarian. It's no longer couth to flaunt class so the dressing standard is more informal now.   Real formal wear isn't worn for just dinners anymore.  So you have to agree that standards change as time changes.

And I think what we are seeing is a cultural divide and an age divide.  I think in the big cities casual clothes is becoming more and more trendy to wear while going out.  Like buisness suites make you look like buisnessmen from days gone by and is becoming less and less common. especially among the younger people, like the dot-commers, the entertainment buisness, even like financials in new york.  Like there is still a class divide but how you show it off isn't by suite and tie anymore.  Anyone can wear a department store suite and tie.

I think a lot of it is also in the US and non-european countries like the food culture and fine dining culture is becoming more hipster.  It's more important to have fresh locally sourced, to have a story.  The dining tradition is moving away from tablecloths and silverware to focus more on the food.  The standard michelin 3-star format is somewhat losing its luster.  A lot of the restaurants on the world's 50 best are now eschewing parts of the stodgy and staid fine dining experience.  Lots of the tops on that list these days aren't 3 or even 2 michelin star'd. 

What I am saying is that dress codes are a reflection of society, and what is acceptable and not acceptable is based on social norms and norms are changing.  I think the norms aren't changing evenly across geography and age groups, and thats why this issue comes up so much on this forum.  In any event time doesn't wait for anyone and I bet in the future, customers on these cruise lines, who don't understand why there is any connection whatsoever between formal clothes and a caribbean cruise, will slowly push the dress codes to becoming more and more relaxed.  It's just a matter of time.

Perhaps you may want to address the bathing suit style of some Europeans which I feel is a little too egalitarian. I would rather have uncouth Americans in formal wear then see this at the pool.

Screenshot_20190626-201005_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, florisdekort said:

When what is supposed to be a fun Caribbean vacation becomes comparable to a funeral, you know some people are taking this way too seriously. 

No kidding!  I sure hope this thread and other dress code threads are not an indication of the attitudes we meet on board.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

‘Were the scantily clad young women “working” on the cruise?    I have seen a few women who were dressed as the working girls dress in NYC.   Don’t know if Celebrity turns a blind eye to this type of worker or if they put them off the ship if discovered.

I don't think so.  They  seemed like young women  who thought they looked  chic and cool!  Perhaps a cultural difference.???

At work yesterday , saw a young alleged professional dressed in a quite revealing and distracting see through blouse.  Sign of the times ???

These threads about dressing for the MDR are an amazingly revealing test of reading comprehension. All cruise lines publish their dress codes/suggestions/preferences, yet there are hundreds of questions about whether they mean what they say. Well, gosh, golly, that's tough.

A similar intelligence test we can see on a daily basis is any 4 way stop. Fascinating to watch! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/27/2019 at 2:58 AM, PhoenixCruiser said:

No kidding!  I sure hope this thread and other dress code threads are not an indication of the attitudes we meet on board.

It’s the internet my friend, i’ve never in 25 years of cruising seen anyone challenge another cruiser on their dress sense  face to face 😄

Edited by yorky
  • Like 6

On 6/26/2019 at 11:29 PM, Bo1953 said:

Yes, there are those who will feel out of place, yet many of us do not as we do enjoy dressing up. I Am thinking of bringing my tuxedo for our inaugural sailing on The Edge, I Am assured that I will be the only one in our party to do so, yet it is fine with me.

Dress up and feel special that one night!

Bon voyage

ABSOLUTELY !!!!!!!!  We are on Reflection Dec next year, round the  Caribbean so know we will be formal chic BUT off on a b to b on QM2 to NY and back this Aug and as it sails from Southampton ,only about 20 miles from our home we are SOooooo dressing up ! There are 2 20’s Themed Gala balls and hubby is wearing full White Tie !!! Tails and all . No prob for him as he is a pro orchestral  musician so happy in them   

Edited by fizzy1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2019 at 6:25 AM, hcat said:

I don't think so.  They  seemed like young women  who thought they looked  chic and cool!  Perhaps a cultural difference.???

At work yesterday , saw a young alleged professional dressed in a quite revealing and distracting see through blouse.  Sign of the times ???

I'm am open to including all types of people.  I would welcome this young professional at my table.

3 hours ago, fizzy1 said:

ABSOLUTELY !!!!!!!!  We are on Reflection Dec next year, round the  Caribbean so know we will be formal chic BUT off on a b to b on QM2 to NY and back this Aug and as it sails from Southampton ,only about 20 miles from our home we are SOooooo dressing up ! There are 2 20’s Themed Gala balls and hubby is wearing full White Tie !!! Tails and all . No prob for him as he is a pro orchestral  musician so happy in them   

What fun! I live in the original home of Mardi Gras in the US, "cough, cough" not NOLA, "cough, cough", and white tie and tails is the costume de rigeur for the balls, so much fun to see everyone dress up. And you better believe a gentleman will get turned away at the door if they are not dressed properly.

40 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I'm am open to including all types of people.  I would welcome this young professional at my table.

I bet you would...but it was inappropriate in the particular setting and  distracting,  Maybe someone in a higher authority will guide her. I guess it would be okay on a cruise for a young person in the club  but not in the boardroom!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, yorky said:

It’s the internet my friend, i’ve never in 25 years of cruising seen anyone challenge another cruiser on their dress sense  face to face 😄

I actually had it happen to me years ago when Celebrity had the three formal dress codes and they were strictly enforced.  We had late dining and were leaving the pool area in our bathing suits and all that goes with that.  A very snotty woman told us to our face that we were improperly dressed, she was obviously going to the dining room.   I just ignored her and the four of us went to our rooms and prepared for dinner with the proper clothing.   By the way, back then you either dressed properly or you ate room service since there was no dinner buffet or specialty restaurants.  The dress code was for the evening and you would not be allowed in pretty much all venue's unless in the proper evening dress.   We generally did a cruise a year with our kids who started when they were five and they were always dressed, very often renting a tux for my son and getting daughter a dress. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Emphasis on costume

Yeah, the hilarious thing always to me is that the guests and dates of the society members are dressed to the teeth, while the actual members are masked and wearing shiny satin and sequins on hand made costumes. You are required to have costume checks and they had to be fairly well made, but it is quite the juxtaposition.

3 hours ago, Kitsunegari said:

I notice this topic is on dress code (which is the prominent dress of those attending an event to learn how to dress).  Some confuse this with dress restrictions.

Are there dress restrictions on Celebrity.

Yes and guidelines can be found at X's website... casual elegant or country club elegant etc...

bon voyage

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:29 PM, w.brooks29 said:

Hello, all!

My husband and I are cruising on Celebrity for the first time (Equinox) and are excited to try a new cruise line. I have done some research regarding dress code at dinner in the MDR. It seems that they prefer that you do NOT wear shorts or flip flops at dinner in the MDR. Is this something that is actually enforced? Will we be asked to leave and change into pants and closed toed shoes? We also cruised on Symphony of the Seas at the beginning of June and wore shorts and flip flops (with a nice, button-down shirt) to dinner each night with no problem. 

I'm definitely willing to wear pants and closed-toed shoes, however I am always WAY more comfortable in shorts and flip flops -- especially in the hot Caribbean weather. Just curious if anyone has insight into the enforcement of the Celebrity dress code. 

Thanks, all!

I think you KNOW the answer. No shorts & no flips in the rest. at night. Celebrity has a generally nicer appeal to it & not like Symphony of the seas. You'll likely be turned away. Dress like you're going to a decent rest. not the Ground Round! At breakfast & lunch ok, but not at night.