Uh-oh, "First-of-its-Kind Procedure?"

amyotravel

Yup. Worried because cruise lines (not just Carnival) have thought the repairs worked and then come to find out there are more issues. I don't like that whatever this is has not been done before. I am hopefully on this ship in less than 3 months.

33 minutes ago, CorgiCruiser123 said:

So what is she doing between now and July 9?

They extended the two cruises between now and July 9 by one day each.

Interesting about "first of its kind" procedure.  I was surprised that Vista was able to get a drydock scheduled for 9 Jul, what with the state of the "large" drydock vis a vi the Royal incident/accident making that dry dock out of commission.

the royal incident was also a first of its procedure that turned out bad. hopefully carnival procedure goes much much better

with ships getting bigger and bigger, there is an issue of finding drydock facilitates that can fit the ships. looks like freeport is getting creative to squeeze the big ships

Well, I think you all are reading a lot into "a  first-of-its-kind procedure to facilitate the repair".

I read it as Carnival is working with commercial shipping companies to use their facilities as needed for emergency dry-dock repairs, instead of having to wait for a cruise ship dry dock to become available, such as the Grand Bahama Shipyard.

The negotiations is the contract piece.

Edited by VentureMan_2000
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The July 1st 8 day cruise seems very popular. I was thinking of jumping on it, but prices seem high to me.

john h will be on the cruise as CD..that always make it popular

• Like 1

Trouble with Vista was one of the reasons listed on their stock report as to why they were making less money this quarter and the stock went down today!

That and the cancelled Cuba cruises have caused a lot of trouble and have cost the corporation lots of money!

1 hour ago, riffatsea said:

Trouble with Vista was one of the reasons listed on their stock report as to why they were making less money this quarter and the stock went down today!

That and the cancelled Cuba cruises have caused a lot of trouble and have cost the corporation lots of money!

Carnival stock has dropped 14% in the last 4 trading days.  Of course, not all of that is related to the Vista and her issues.  Some is related to the dropped Cuba cruises as well as other financial concerns.

Garnett

10 hours ago, N7786W Flyer said:

Carnival stock has dropped 14% in the last 4 trading days.  Of course, not all of that is related to the Vista and her issues.  Some is related to the dropped Cuba cruises as well as other financial concerns.

Garnett

It probably has to do with Carnival repackaging the same ship design for 20 years now. It's not working.  They can't get the fares of competitors because they aren't introducing anything new. Lower fares mean on board cutbacks, more and more of them. Which means even lower fares and cutbacks. It's a downward spiral.  I wouldn't even consider Carnival stock to hold.  I haven't seen any signs of them competing long term.

• Like 2

Agree that this is a good time to buy if you don't have any yet!

The perks for owning stock plus the dividend makes it still an attractive buy.

The reasons for the downturn were very specific and have nothing to do with the ideas above.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, shof515 said:

the royal incident was also a first of its procedure that turned out bad. hopefully carnival procedure goes much much better

with ships getting bigger and bigger, there is an issue of finding drydock facilitates that can fit the ships. looks like freeport is getting creative to squeeze the big ships

Actually it was the second time that Royal used the procedure on the same class ship.  Allure was the first and it was successful

22 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Well, I think you all are reading a lot into "a  first-of-its-kind procedure to facilitate the repair".

I read it as Carnival is working with commercial shipping companies to use their facilities as needed for emergency dry-dock repairs, instead of having to wait for a cruise ship dry dock to become available, such as the Grand Bahama Shipyard.

The negotiations is the contract piece.

The thing that catches my eye is that Vista is a relatively new ship and thusly large.   All of the "large" dry docks on the East Coast are dedicated to supporting the US Navy.

While there are dry docks on the east coast to support the US registered commercial fleets, they are relatively small.  I am wondering if this "first of its kind procedure" would be utilizing one of the east commercial dry-docks much like what they were doing in regards to Oasis at Freeport.  I.E. lifting Vista's "butt" so they can access the azipods to replace the bearings.

Just speculation on my part.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Earning report for a quarter was down due to one ship that just got a problem????  Can you point me to that?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BNBR said:

It probably has to do with Carnival repackaging the same ship design for 20 years now. It's not working.  They can't get the fares of competitors because they aren't introducing anything new. Lower fares mean on board cutbacks, more and more of them. Which means even lower fares and cutbacks. It's a downward spiral.  I wouldn't even consider Carnival stock to hold.  I haven't seen any signs of them competing long term.

LOL, doing something for 20 years sure seems to work to me.... Lower fares ....wrong.  Tie to cutbacks....wrong. I am shocked you would not consider buying Carnival stock, what you being such a big fan and all...

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

LOL, doing something for 20 years sure seems to work to me.... Lower fares ....wrong.  Tie to cutbacks....wrong. I am shocked you would not consider buying Carnival stock, what you being such a big fan and all...

Nothing I said was wrong. But the truth clearly hurts your feelings. And for that, I apologize. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, riffatsea said:

7 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Earning report for a quarter was down due to one ship that just got a problem????  Can you point me to that?

Jim, the latest quarterly report was released on June 20th - Carnival Corp's fiscal years ends Nov 30th.

It stated:

"Voyage disruptions related to Carnival Vista are expected to have a financial impact of approximately $0.08 to $0.10 per share."

http://www.carnivalcorp.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-newsArticle&id=2401917

Yes, I too was surprised at the immediacy of the news inclusion.  Though it wasn't a revenue/profit impact for that quarter, but a future outlook statement.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 1

Just now, BNBR said:

Nothing I said was wrong. But the truth clearly hurts your feelings. And for that, I apologize. 

Can you show me the lower fares and ties to cutbacks, would love to see it.