Cruise Critic Community
amyotravel

Uh-oh, "First-of-its-Kind Procedure?"

1 hour ago, Micah's Grandad said:

I find it hard to believe the cruise lines do not share info on maintenance issues. Pushing the envelope sounds more likely and guess that will cost them quite a bit.

Carnival Corp should have had plenty of internal information from HAL and the issues they had with the ABB Azipods on the Zuiderdam, Oesterdam, Westerdam and Norddam to figure out a proactive maintenance schedule.

6 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Are the pods on Oasis the same size as Vista or larger?  I assume by your comment that the maintenance time factor varies with size of the Azipod

As I understand it they both use ABB XO Azipods at 20MW capacity.  Vista has 2 and the Oasis Class have 3.

2 hours ago, Micah's Grandad said:

I find it hard to believe the cruise lines do not share info on maintenance issues. Pushing the envelope sounds more likely and guess that will cost them quite a bit.

Why in the world would RCI share maintenance information with Carnival?  That's like BMW sharing information with Ford, why help a competitor.

1 hour ago, K&RCurt said:

Carnival Corp should have had plenty of internal information from HAL and the issues they had with the ABB Azipods on the Zuiderdam, Oesterdam, Westerdam and Norddam to figure out a proactive maintenance schedule.

The difference, though, is that while HAL has consistently drydocked their ships every 2.5 years, regardless of age, Carnival goes with the more "traditional" 5 year drydocking interval with an underwater inspection at the 2.5 year mark, up until age 15.

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The difference, though, is that while HAL has consistently drydocked their ships every 2.5 years, regardless of age, Carnival goes with the more "traditional" 5 year drydocking interval with an underwater inspection at the 2.5 year mark, up until age 15.

That is very interesting.  I am sure somewhere in Carnival Corp there is an overall cost comparison between the two maintenance schemes, and also those that Princess, Costa and Cunard use.  It would be very interesting to see that comparison as well as the rational each line uses with similar ships.

As I understand it they both use ABB XO Azipods at 20MW capacity.  Vista has 2 and the Oasis Class have 3.

While they both use 20Mw azipods, the Vista uses the newer XO model, while the Oasis uses the older VO model.  The VO model is the one that requires drydocking to renew the thrust bearing, while the newer XO model can renew the thrust bearing while in the water, which makes me wonder what the problem is with the Vista's pod.  It could be a bad motor winding that will require an almost new azipod install.

That is very interesting.  I am sure somewhere in Carnival Corp there is an overall cost comparison between the two maintenance schemes, and also those that Princess, Costa and Cunard use.  It would be very interesting to see that comparison as well as the rational each line uses with similar ships.

While you might think that, reading the findings of the Court Appointed Monitor in the Carnival environmental case, it clearly shows the convoluted management scheme between the various lines, and the differences in approach to many operational considerations, with HAL being in particular a line that stands out for doing things their own way.

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

While they both use 20Mw azipods, the Vista uses the newer XO model, while the Oasis uses the older VO model.  The VO model is the one that requires drydocking to renew the thrust bearing, while the newer XO model can renew the thrust bearing while in the water, which makes me wonder what the problem is with the Vista's pod.  It could be a bad motor winding that will require an almost new azipod install.

Thanks for the correction.  Google failed me!

Thanks for the correction.  Google failed me!

Yeah, it does that.  I had to check Oasis' build date and the roll out date of the XO pods to be sure.  I believe only the Oasis and Allure of that class have the older VO pods, since the XO's started production soon after Allure was built.

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Why in the world would RCI share maintenance information with Carnival?  That's like BMW sharing information with Ford, why help a competitor.

To help each other maintain their ships. Once upon a time I was in credit management. Credit managers from competing companies would get together to share their credit history with their customers in common. Would think the same thing might happen with companies using similar equipment on ships.

2 hours ago, Micah's Grandad said:

To help each other maintain their ships. Once upon a time I was in credit management. Credit managers from competing companies would get together to share their credit history with their customers in common. Would think the same thing might happen with companies using similar equipment on ships.

That's up to the equipment manufacturer to develop their failure database to determine maintenance intervals.

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

LOL, ford is in no way a competitor to BMW.....just saying.   (I do get the point)....😉

10 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

That's up to the equipment manufacturer to develop their failure database to determine maintenance intervals.

One manufacturer may say that they project MTBF to be 6 years, but they can say anything. "That wasn't a real failure, and it was the previous version anyway and we fixed it". I wouldn't be too surprised if the lines would share such information to share the costs of finding out. Same for gettting information on future public policy, like can we visit Cuba next year. If a guest gets blacklisted for being agressive or not paying, why wouldn't you share that information with the other lines if they agree to do the same? 

Like Micah's Grandad, all of my competitors and my company share information all the time. It would be a huge, unnecessary, cost to all of us not to.

From the CLIA site, under Advocacy: CLIA leads efforts to educate policymakers and develop policies and practices, advocating for a sustainable cruise industry environment. I don't think you can do that without having meetings where every competitor says what's bothering them most and why. 

Of course I don't think Carnival would tell that they are thinking of building a ship with a slots machine in each room. 

26 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

LOL, ford is in no way a competitor to BMW.....just saying.   (I do get the point)....😉

You might want to check who competes in 24 Hours of Lemans, Sebring, Rolex 24, and who they are competing against.

Just now, gatour said:

You might want to check who competes in 24 Hours of Lemans, Sebring, Rolex 24, and who they are competing against.

When I stat driving there I will.  You might want to take a Taurus out and then a 330......

17 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

When I stat driving there I will.  You might want to take a Taurus out and then a 330......

You might want to take an Audi S4 vs 330 which I have done, and thusly chose my car of choice.

But we digress. 

Boka Vanguard is crossing the Atlantic with eta Freeport Bahamas 22:00? 5th July.

She is the largest semi submersible heavy lift ship in the world at 91784 gt.

Boka Vanguard.jpg