Time off the ship

Can someone please explain to me the amount of time you can spend off a ship if it is docked versus no pier facilities? One thing i did not enjoy on the Anthem was having to be back a certain time for the tender. How does it work in Bermuda?

On 6/25/2019 at 8:59 PM, Host Clarea said:

Bermuda is a dock.  You will be able to come and go as you please, 24 hours.

Only if the ship is there for 24 hours. 😄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/25/2019 at 8:58 PM, Prewittsgal said:

Can someone please explain to me the amount of time you can spend off a ship if it is docked versus no pier facilities? One thing i did not enjoy on the Anthem was having to be back a certain time for the tender. How does it work in Bermuda?

I mean, you'll always have to be back at a certain time or you'll miss the boat 😛

All aboard is typically 30 minutes before sailaway, it's been a while since I've done a tender, but I think the last tender is usually an hour before sailaway. So you get a little more time docked vs. tendered but not a whole bunch.

Getting from the ship to the port is usually the bigger time consumer with tenders; the return time isn't much different.

• Thanks 1

Can someone please explain to me the amount of time you can spend off a ship if it is docked versus no pier facilities? One thing i did not enjoy on the Anthem was having to be back a certain time for the tender. 

When a ship ties off at a dock you need to be back aboard at least 30 minutes prior to the scheduled sail away time,  and depending on the size of the port facility you may need to get back to port as early as an hour prior to make that deadline. When anchored off shore and needing to take a tender between the ship and the port you still need to back on board at least 30 minutes prior to sail away but you also need to heed the last tender time to be in line for the return tender. At some ports the last tender pier line-up will be only an hour before the sail away time while at others it could be as much as 2 hours prior to sail away.

Consult the printed daily (Compass for Royal) activities sheet for the details for each individual port stop.

How does it work in Bermuda?

90% of the ships that stop in Bermuda do so for at least 1 night, with many having 2 overnights in dock. In this case the ship acts as a floating resort and the Royal Naval Dockyard is the grounds. As a whole, the ship does not have a curfew for returning on the nights it's docked. BUT during heightened security alerts the gate to the Dockyard may have a lockout time. It doesn't happen frequently and in 6 trips there I have experienced a notification of that only twice. Both times the road gate locked at midnight, allowing people to walk up or arrive at the marina section by water after that time until 6/7am in the morning. The notice of this might be in your daily activities sheet but do also look for notices posted on the "Customs" kiosks you need to pass through to and from the ship.

But unless you are on a tour, visiting friends that live locally, or miss the final ferry back from Hamilton, there really isn't much nightlife in Bermuda, to prevent you from return by then. There is very little to do after 7pm on the greater portion of the island. Most stores, beaches, and attractions (even in the Dockyard) close up between 5-7pm, and though there are restaurants, a movie house, fine art theater, pubs, and sports bars that stay open later , beyond the night club in the Dockyard, Harbor Nights in Hamilton, and a few resorts with dance clubs (mostly restricted to their guests) there little to do after dark. The Dockyard itself has onsite 2 pubs, a beach nightclub, and a movie house (second run and art films). 

• Thanks 1