Upgrade or not: help me decide

Rosmerta

We’re doing the inner passage northbound in an aft-facing veranda. We’ve been offered an signature suite at the same price but on the port side. Isn’t the best scenery on starboard?  Scenery is our priority. Upgrade or not? Pros and cons, please.

14 minutes ago, Rosmerta said:

We’re doing the inner passage northbound in an aft-facing veranda. We’ve been offered an signature suite at the same price but on the port side. Isn’t the best scenery on starboard?  Scenery is our priority. Upgrade or not? Pros and cons, please. 

Being a photographer and experienced with 16 Alaska cruises (15 in aft staterooms), I would never give up an aft-facing verandah stateroom unless for a free Neptune Suite upgrade for the following reasons:

• You will not miss the scenery/whales/ that those on the side of the ship will not see since you can see both sides of the ship.
  • You are directly above the Room Service kitchen so food will always be hot and quick.
  • You don't have to run from side to side of the ship on the public decks while in Glacier Bay but just relax on your own verandah and see everything.
  • Not having to compete with others moving from side-to-side of the ship on the public decks for photographs and have other's cameras/tablets block your view.
  • Instead of sharing a public restroom in Glacier Bay, you can stay on your own verandah and have your own bathroom as well as minibar.  You can also pop inside to get warm without losing your spot at the public railings.
  • There is very little foot traffic in your hallway.
  • With no wind while the ship is moving, you can spend more time on your verandah to include having a meal.
  • The sound of the wake is great for sleeping.
  • The Main Dining Room and the Lido Market (buffet) is a 2-minute elevator ride away.

Enjoy your cruise planning.

9 minutes ago, Crew News said:

The sound of the wake is great for sleeping.

We chose an aft-facing veranda based on great recommendations, including your explanation in previous posts. We’re looking forward to it and we love the sounds of the ocean. Do you open the door to hear the sound of the wake? 

I can't add to Roger's arguments! But just wanted to say, the scenery is either on both sides (in the inside passage) or on neither side (when you are out to sea/in the Gulf of Alaska), and marine mammals can appear anywhere around the ship. Oh and wherever you will be glacier viewing the ship will turn so all get a look.

ETA: if you leave the balcony door open, it will mess with the climate control of your whole section. Just saying.

Edited by crystalspin

2 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

ETA: if you leave the balcony door open, it will mess with the climate control of your whole section. Just saying.

That’s what puzzles me! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LF23 said:

We chose an aft-facing veranda based on great recommendations, including your explanation in previous posts. We’re looking forward to it and we love the sounds of the ocean. Do you open the door to hear the sound of the wake? 

I can still hear the sound of the wake with the door shut.  Leaving the verandah door open is frowned upon and there should be a sticker on the door stating to keep the door shut.

Just sitting on your aft verandah and listening/watching the wake before bed is so relaxing

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LF23 said:

That’s what puzzles me! 

There are a number of CC threads about leaving doors open and I can only try to repeat the reasons that I recall.  The ship climate system is based on a series of positive pressure systems.  When a door is left open, it affects the system efficiency for a block of staterooms for pressure as well as thermostatic controls.  Picture leaving a window open in an air conditioned house or during the winter with its effect on the rest of the house.

There is a former HAL Engineer on CC that has a much more scientific explanation and maybe he will see this thread to add his comment.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crew News said:

There are a number of CC threads about leaving doors open and I can only try to repeat the reasons that I recall.

Yes - this is why I asked whether your comment meant you opened the door to hear!   Sounds like you can indeed hear the ocean with the doors closed. Thanks. 

11 hours ago, Rosmerta said:

It will not matter in the inside passage...  as  you will traverse it in the black of night.... you pass the narrows at around 0300.   and pass the end of Vancouver Isl, around 0600.        Port side will look better than  starboard        Attached is a daylight transit north to south .... of what you will not see.

DSC_0370.JPG

Edited by Hawaiidan

35 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Ours is not to be puzzled.  Ours is to obey the ship's rules, which is to keep the door closed.

Agreed, AC nightmare on our last cruise traced to nearby cabin that ignored Guest Relations on that as well as other issues. I think the whole hallway called GR repeatedly. Glad Roger clarified.  

4 minutes ago, oceanmom said:

Our first cruise (6 years ago) was on another cruise line with an aft Neptune equivalent. I noticed a problem with soot on the balcony. Is that not a problem on HAL, and if not, why not?

I can only speak for myself but I have never seen soot on my many aft balconies.  It is certain that abnormal weather conditions could cause soot anywhere but I have never experienced it.

1 hour ago, oceanmom said:

Our first cruise (6 years ago) was on another cruise line with an aft Neptune equivalent. I noticed a problem with soot on the balcony. Is that not a problem on HAL, and if not, why not?

You are asking for why there is no evidence?  How do you prove a negative?

9 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

the ships engines  burn what is called bunker fuel that is nasty... during the cruise  it is normal to  experience  start and stops of several or more of the ships engines...   when cold  they can  and do blow out soot regularly .    Near the coast they have to switch to lighter fuel  but  the residue of the junk can cling to exhaust stacks.

Just like your car when you start it  junk comes out in till the engine gets warm .......

Its there will all engines... whether you notice is is another thing.     

4 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

You prove a negative by having a reason for the lack of the positive evidence. Perhaps HAL uses a cleaner fuel with less production of residue, perhaps they have special equipment that catches the soot on it's way up the funnel, perhaps a cabin on one side or the other is less likely to get soot, a technological reason there might be for less/no soot. There are several ship experts on this board who could offer a reasonable rationale for why less/no soot if there is such a reason on HAL that other cruise lines might not do/have.